Parachute Silk

  • Miguel Arboleda
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2003
      Now that I've lurked long enough and read enough posts to whet my
      appetite, I want to sit down and make one of these hammocks Ed has
      illustrated so well in his book. I'm not sure if the seemingly
      "squeezed" configuration will appease this normally claustrophobic me
      as much as the Hennessy I own does, but it's worth a try.

      I'm somewhat curious as to materials, though. In his book, Ed specifies
      1.9 oz. ripstop nylon, and yet I have seen quite a number of commercial
      camping hammocks ( ie: http://www.paradisehammocks.co.uk/ ) which use
      1.1 oz parachute silk. The parachute silk I supposed to be incredibly
      strong and tear resistant, and even strong in UV light. I realize that
      Ed warns against 1.1 oz. nylon, but would parachute silk be considered
      the same? Anyone have experience with this? If it is strong enough,
      wouldn't the lighter weight be worth it?

      Also, may I ask why polypropylene straps are used instead of spectra
      rope slung through webbing, like the Hennessy?

      I've been rarin' to get out into the mountains here in Japan with a
      hammock, but what with the monsoon deluges lately, my bad experiences
      with a cold back and shoulders in the Hennessy (3 trips last year), and
      doubts about my sewing abilities (but I'm going to learn!) I haven't
      yet gotten up the resources to make hammock camping a reality this
      year. The high mountains in Japan are merciless with wind, and I'm
      somewhat reluctant to rely on a hammock in the alpine regions, up at
      10,000 feet, still. There are few trees up there... I may just stay
      with my GoLite Hex 3 tipi for now, unless I can find a more aerodynamic
      solution.

      Any thoughts?

      Cheers,
      miguel

      • ~
      miguel arboleda
      s t u d i o b u t u k i
      sampo@...
      Laughing Knees Blog- http://www.butuki.com/

      eyes to see, hands to touch, legs to walk, and a mind under the open sky