Re: [Hammock Camping] Wool Blanket Thermal Rating

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2008
      You would be much warmer and carry a lot less weight with a very light
      down quilt. I have one I made with about 6 oz of down. Very comfy in
      the summer down to about 50 degrees. You will probably still need a pad
      for part of your back whenever the night temperature gets down below the
      mid 70s. Anything below 71 and I start to get quite uncomfortable
      without a pad.

      Rick

      tim_farm wrote:
      > Living in Florida and camping with the Scouts I am beginning to think
      > that my big bulky sleeping bag might be needed for our January or
      > February camping trip. However I am beginning to wonder if a simple
      > wool blanket will do the trick for the rest of the year.
      >
      > Growing up in North Carolina I remember some of my first camping trips
      > I used a wool blanket. I only remember being cold the morning I awoke
      > to snow on the ground.
      >
      > I know Coleman sells fleece sleeping bags that are rated for
      > 50-degrees but I have never seen a rating for the simple wool blanket.
      > Does anyone happen to know what the rating would be?

    • Richard Perlman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2008
        Sorry for the late contribution........

        I love my Speer TopBlanket!