Wool Blanket Thermal Rating

  • tim_farm
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2008
      Living in Florida and camping with the Scouts I am beginning to think
      that my big bulky sleeping bag might be needed for our January or
      February camping trip. However I am beginning to wonder if a simple
      wool blanket will do the trick for the rest of the year.

      Growing up in North Carolina I remember some of my first camping trips
      I used a wool blanket. I only remember being cold the morning I awoke
      to snow on the ground.

      I know Coleman sells fleece sleeping bags that are rated for
      50-degrees but I have never seen a rating for the simple wool blanket.
      Does anyone happen to know what the rating would be?
    • David Ball
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2008
        We use wool blankets as supplements to our 20 degree bags when we take
        groups out in the late fall when temps often dip into the 20's at night.
        I can tell you absolutely that a good wool blanket will outperform fleece.
        There are lots of differences in fleece and wool blankets however.
        Quality on either side is critical.

        If weight is not an issue, I really prefer wool. I recently did a 4 day
        canoe trip in northern michigan and the ground dwellers had ice on their
        tents in the morning. I had a pad and a wool blanket under me in my
        Claytor and I was snug as a bug in a rug. I don't think fleece would have
        done that. Besides, gotta love the whole sheep thing rather than petro.

        David

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2008
          You would be much warmer and carry a lot less weight with a very light
          down quilt. I have one I made with about 6 oz of down. Very comfy in
          the summer down to about 50 degrees. You will probably still need a pad
          for part of your back whenever the night temperature gets down below the
          mid 70s. Anything below 71 and I start to get quite uncomfortable
          without a pad.

          Rick

          tim_farm wrote:
          > Living in Florida and camping with the Scouts I am beginning to think
          > that my big bulky sleeping bag might be needed for our January or
          > February camping trip. However I am beginning to wonder if a simple
          > wool blanket will do the trick for the rest of the year.
          >
          > Growing up in North Carolina I remember some of my first camping trips
          > I used a wool blanket. I only remember being cold the morning I awoke
          > to snow on the ground.
          >
          > I know Coleman sells fleece sleeping bags that are rated for
          > 50-degrees but I have never seen a rating for the simple wool blanket.
          > Does anyone happen to know what the rating would be?

        • Richard Perlman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 12, 2008
            Sorry for the late contribution........

            I love my Speer TopBlanket!