Re: Hammock Camping Field use questions

  • Mark Bayern
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 29, 2003
      >1) The tree straps seem way too short. According to the HH web
      >site's setup recommendations, you'd need to restrict yourself to a
      >4" diameter tree to get the strap around twice. They seem woefully
      >inadequate for real field use. If I want a longer strap it means I
      >have to drive to REI(or order it)and spend time sewing up the ends.
      >Is that what you guys have done?

      On larger trees, the strap can just go around once. I've hung it where the
      strap covers about 3/4 of the diameter of the tree and the hammock ropes
      the other 1/4. Note that the strap is on the 'back' of the tree and is load
      bearing part. In other words, the ropes do not dig into the trunk.

      >2) What do you do if you're setting up this thing in the rain?

      Had this problem about 2 weeks ago at Woody Gap on the AT. In my case the
      hammocks (mine and my son's) were stuffed in their sacks with the tarps
      already attached. Leaving the hammock and tarp in the bad, I pulled one
      support rope out of the bag, and tied it to a tree. Then we carefully drew
      the hammock/tarp combo out of the bag, trying to keep the tarp covering the
      hammock at all times. When we got to the other support rope I tied it to
      the other tree. Success! Then it was simply a matter of centering the
      hammock, finalizing the tension and knots. Only then did we tie out the
      tarp. Once the tarp was above the hammock, all problems were solved.

      Another hiker had her hammock in a snake skin -- she simply strung the
      hammock (in its skin) from her trees, attached the tarp, and then took the
      skins off the hammock. Much easier.

      >3) If it's raining when you get into camp and you haven't eaten
      >dinner yet, what then? (Sometimes I eat dinner on the trail then
      >hike more, but not always).

      We also eat before reaching camp. This problem, and the problem of setting
      the hammock up in the rain are causing me to consider a separate tarp to
      replace the one that come with the HH. I see that Speer hammocks use an
      8x10 rectangular tarp. This interests me, possibly because when I started
      backpacking in the middle 60's, I used a 10x10 canvas tarp.

      Mark
    • J Cornelius
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 2, 2003

        <snort> Not nearly as hard as I will the first time I get to do it!  Of course, that will be after the initial shock of finding myself asleep on the roof of my hammock wears off ROTFL!

        Jodi