Re: [Hammock Camping] Michigan hammock camping

  • rod hamilton
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
      Sue,

      I'm in the Detroit tri-county area and use my Hennessey hammock whenever I get the chance to camp, which isn't that often. In my mind I'm still a novice but I do have one winter night under my belt as well as a stormy weekend; one in which I took not a single drop of rain.

      I used my Hennessey last weekend, suspended over a thirty degree slope and despite the strong winds, slept quite well.

      I've yet to master the under-cover/under-pad/four season system, but I haven't given up either.

      Happy camping and let me know if you have any specific questions. Rod

    • Steve M
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
        Sue,

        I'm in the Grand Rapids area, and have been using a homemade Speer's
        style hammock for many years. It works great--Michigan is full of
        trees--although a lot of its use in recent years has been on trips to
        Colorado, the Smoky Mountains and Ontario. Let me know if you have any
        specific questions.

        Steve

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <sumoe_99@...> wrote:

        > I'm new to this group, and am following the discussion very closely.
        >
        > Is there anyone on this forum from Michigan doing this? HOw's it
        > working out? Any considerations?
        >
        > sue in Michigan

      • Sue M.
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
          I have a few hundred! I'll let you know when I get my thoughts organized, as I don't even know where to start.

          sue
          I'm in the Grand Rapids area, and have been using a homemade Speer's
          style hammock for many years. It works great--Michigan is full of
          trees--although a lot of its use in recent years has been on trips to
          Colorado, the Smoky Mountains and Ontario. Let me know if you have any
          specific questions.

          Steve

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <sumoe_99@...> wrote:

          > I'm new to this group, and am following the discussion very closely.
          >
          > Is there anyone on this forum from Michigan doing this? HOw's it
          > working out? Any considerations?
          >
          > sue in Michigan

        • Nate
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
            Sue,

            I am near Jackson. I have a mosquito bliss hammock. I have used it a
            few times, mostly when i am not camping with my girlfriend. Good to
            hear from fellow hammockers in MI!!

            NATE
          • Sue M.
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
              I don't know if I'm a fellow hammocker yet...still learning! I have a small tent and self-inflating mattress, and the next step looks scary! I need to hear that you are all doing fine with this system...

              sue

              Let me recommend the best medicine in the world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant country, in easy stages.
              James Madison

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
                Thanks for the information. I don't know enough to have any questions...I keep reading and taking in all information, like yours!

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 6, 2008
                  You mnight want to start with Ed Speer's (owner/moderator of this
                  forum) Hammock Camping book.

                  sandy in miami

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sue M." <sumoe_99@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the information. I don't know enough to have any
                  questions...I keep reading and taking in all information, like yours!

                  > sue

                • David Ball
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 6, 2008
                    Hey you Michigan hangers!

                    I am in the SW corner of the lower peninsula. A true flat lander and up
                    state wannabe. I spend a lot of time on the Manistee river just south of
                    Traverse City outfitting multi-day canoe-camping trips.

                    I have begun hanging this year, recently did a 5 day canoe trip and
                    absolutely loved it. I have a Claytor jungle hammock, as does my wife,
                    and we spend nearly every weekend now sleeping in our woods.

                    Would love to get together with some folks sometime. I also would enjoy
                    seeing what other folks are doing. While I have learned a great deal
                    through this format as well as the Hammock Forum, there is so much more to
                    learn. I have really enjoyed it thus far.

                    David

                    http://www.riverjourneys.org