Re: Field use questions

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 29, 2003
      Aaron

      First check our Sgt Rocks hammock section, Sorry I dont have the
      URL handy. The tree huggers are short for use with big trees. I
      watched Paul use a small stick this past week and learned a new
      trick. Put a small stick where the knot would be. A stick about 1
      inch thick is recommended. This allows you to tie and untie the
      figure 8 knot easier. The stick will be offset from the center line
      just a few inches and the knot will be tied beside it. It is hard ti
      tie the figure 8 without a little room behind it. But the tree is
      fairly well protected since most of the pull into the bark is from
      the back side wher the short strap will be.

      For cooking under the fly in the rain you need to wrap the hammock
      body up over the ridge line to keep it out of the way. Or like you
      said set up the fly by itself. I never take my fly off the ridge
      line so it is already protecting the hammock while i set up. The
      only problem i have is taking the hammock down if it is raining.
      For a heavy due i just wip the fly off with my shirt but if it is
      raining hard I just put it up wet with the intention of letting it
      dry the next night or when i get home, which ever comes first.

      I have not tried setting the fly up with seperate end lines but it
      would be easier to get the right tension. Just dong set it up much
      higher than it would normally go or you will probably get wet. Now
      if I could always set up over a nice sitting log for cooking I would
      be set.

      Coy Boy

    • J Cornelius
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 2, 2003

        <snort> Not nearly as hard as I will the first time I get to do it!  Of course, that will be after the initial shock of finding myself asleep on the roof of my hammock wears off ROTFL!

        Jodi