Michigan hammock camping

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31 12:35 PM
      I'm new to this group, and am following the discussion very closely.

      Is there anyone on this forum from Michigan doing this? HOw's it
      working out? Any considerations?

      sue in Michigan
    • rod hamilton
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
        Sue,

        I'm in the Detroit tri-county area and use my Hennessey hammock whenever I get the chance to camp, which isn't that often. In my mind I'm still a novice but I do have one winter night under my belt as well as a stormy weekend; one in which I took not a single drop of rain.

        I used my Hennessey last weekend, suspended over a thirty degree slope and despite the strong winds, slept quite well.

        I've yet to master the under-cover/under-pad/four season system, but I haven't given up either.

        Happy camping and let me know if you have any specific questions. Rod

      • Steve M
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
          Sue,

          I'm in the Grand Rapids area, and have been using a homemade Speer's
          style hammock for many years. It works great--Michigan is full of
          trees--although a lot of its use in recent years has been on trips to
          Colorado, the Smoky Mountains and Ontario. Let me know if you have any
          specific questions.

          Steve

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <sumoe_99@...> wrote:

          > I'm new to this group, and am following the discussion very closely.
          >
          > Is there anyone on this forum from Michigan doing this? HOw's it
          > working out? Any considerations?
          >
          > sue in Michigan

        • Sue M.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
            I have a few hundred! I'll let you know when I get my thoughts organized, as I don't even know where to start.

            sue
            I'm in the Grand Rapids area, and have been using a homemade Speer's
            style hammock for many years. It works great--Michigan is full of
            trees--although a lot of its use in recent years has been on trips to
            Colorado, the Smoky Mountains and Ontario. Let me know if you have any
            specific questions.

            Steve

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <sumoe_99@...> wrote:

            > I'm new to this group, and am following the discussion very closely.
            >
            > Is there anyone on this forum from Michigan doing this? HOw's it
            > working out? Any considerations?
            >
            > sue in Michigan

          • Nate
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
              Sue,

              I am near Jackson. I have a mosquito bliss hammock. I have used it a
              few times, mostly when i am not camping with my girlfriend. Good to
              hear from fellow hammockers in MI!!

              NATE
            • Sue M.
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
                I don't know if I'm a fellow hammocker yet...still learning! I have a small tent and self-inflating mattress, and the next step looks scary! I need to hear that you are all doing fine with this system...

                sue

                Let me recommend the best medicine in the world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant country, in easy stages.
                James Madison

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Thanks for the information. I don't know enough to have any questions...I keep reading and taking in all information, like yours!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 6, 2008
                    You mnight want to start with Ed Speer's (owner/moderator of this
                    forum) Hammock Camping book.

                    sandy in miami

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sue M." <sumoe_99@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for the information. I don't know enough to have any
                    questions...I keep reading and taking in all information, like yours!

                    > sue

                  • David Ball
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 6, 2008
                      Hey you Michigan hangers!

                      I am in the SW corner of the lower peninsula. A true flat lander and up
                      state wannabe. I spend a lot of time on the Manistee river just south of
                      Traverse City outfitting multi-day canoe-camping trips.

                      I have begun hanging this year, recently did a 5 day canoe trip and
                      absolutely loved it. I have a Claytor jungle hammock, as does my wife,
                      and we spend nearly every weekend now sleeping in our woods.

                      Would love to get together with some folks sometime. I also would enjoy
                      seeing what other folks are doing. While I have learned a great deal
                      through this format as well as the Hammock Forum, there is so much more to
                      learn. I have really enjoyed it thus far.

                      David

                      http://www.riverjourneys.org