Re: [Hammock Camping] Camping while scooting around the country

  • Arye P. R.
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30 8:37 PM
      To start with two up on a 400 is pushing it. Although in 1977 I did the 75 CB400F Cafe racer style from Chicago to Alaska SOLO. No other riders and no passenger. Loaded I figure the bike was about 20lbs over max. GVWR. 7000 miles in 20 days about 5 days were on board the Alaska Ferry System. Chicago to Prince Rupert BC, ferry up the Inside passage to Haines, AK and Skagway, AK than back down to Port Hardy, Vancouver Isl BC - riding south to Victoria BC and ferry across to Port Angles, WA south to Columbia River to a cousin's wedding spent less than 1/2 day there and back on the road... to Chicago in <2.5 days. Tired Yet?

      Check the gross vehicle weight rating vs. the wet weight of the bike to see what it will hold. You may have less than 300 Lbs to work with.
      How comfortable are you at 70mph till the tank is 1/4 full? And on the open back 2 lanes with 40mph off camber sweeping curves If you are cool, try progressively longer trips with the wife she may not be cool with it.
      As far as what to take with... I suspect that with wife, hammocks, sleeping bags, & rain suits the bike is full. What about a change of clothes and 1-2 sets of under ware each, shorts to wear when off the bike. You will need some kind of saddlebags, cloth will be easier than leather and wont interfere with the passenger, They are made that way. Cooking gear? There are people that just go with the clothes on their back rain gear and a sleeping bag and eat at restaurants. I also take too many tools, tire plug kit, and a can of "Fix a Flat" or air. Sometimes an inner-tube smaller of the 2 tires for in a pinch you can stretch it to the larger tire and get to town. Plan your route and file a flight plan with... got more specific questions? One more thing... Don't Look... I pack as if riding naked so I have some extra space just in case.

      Sapere Aude,

      Arye P. Rubenstein