RE: [Hammock Camping] Camping while scooting around the country

  • Billy Chard
    Message 1 of 6 , May 29, 2008
      Hey
      Up until this past august ( when my bike died) I have been
      riding for about 10 years. My and a few buddies have been touring and
      camping many times. The bulk of those where done with a hammock as a
      shelter. Its fast easy and light, and it fits easily in most bike
      luggage.

      Billy

      Message 2 of 6 , May 29, 2008
        Ive been doing the xc thing by mc for years starting with a '75 Honda CB400F and now a '95 BMW-K11RS. I have allways catted a hammock and would love to figure a way to hang one end on the bike and the other to whatever I can get 10-12 feet from. The places I choose to spend the night rarely have posts close enough. Im thinking some kind of 'A' across the center of the bike and secured to the foot pegs. But that would need to be almost 5-6' long and to carry something that long and sturdy on a bike would be tuff. Any suggestions? (luggage racks and sissy bars wont work - not designed for the load).

        Sapere Aude,

        Arye P. Rubenstein

        Message 3 of 6 , May 30, 2008
          I've had a Suzuki Burgman 400 for about 10 months and 10K miles so
          far, and my wife and I love to camp. Haven't had the opportunity to
          go camping on the scooter yet, but certainly looking forward to trying
          when we can (right now with 2 daughters at home, not feasible). We
          all hammock camp, but so far have not been able to combine the two. I
          have thought about it though, and guess you have to really pack very
          light to do this. Do you think it is doable for the two of us using
          one bike (under seat storage and a top box on back)?
        • Arye P. R.
          Message 4 of 6 , May 30, 2008
            To start with two up on a 400 is pushing it. Although in 1977 I did the 75 CB400F Cafe racer style from Chicago to Alaska SOLO. No other riders and no passenger. Loaded I figure the bike was about 20lbs over max. GVWR. 7000 miles in 20 days about 5 days were on board the Alaska Ferry System. Chicago to Prince Rupert BC, ferry up the Inside passage to Haines, AK and Skagway, AK than back down to Port Hardy, Vancouver Isl BC - riding south to Victoria BC and ferry across to Port Angles, WA south to Columbia River to a cousin's wedding spent less than 1/2 day there and back on the road... to Chicago in <2.5 days. Tired Yet?

            Check the gross vehicle weight rating vs. the wet weight of the bike to see what it will hold. You may have less than 300 Lbs to work with.
            How comfortable are you at 70mph till the tank is 1/4 full? And on the open back 2 lanes with 40mph off camber sweeping curves If you are cool, try progressively longer trips with the wife she may not be cool with it.
            As far as what to take with... I suspect that with wife, hammocks, sleeping bags, & rain suits the bike is full. What about a change of clothes and 1-2 sets of under ware each, shorts to wear when off the bike. You will need some kind of saddlebags, cloth will be easier than leather and wont interfere with the passenger, They are made that way. Cooking gear? There are people that just go with the clothes on their back rain gear and a sleeping bag and eat at restaurants. I also take too many tools, tire plug kit, and a can of "Fix a Flat" or air. Sometimes an inner-tube smaller of the 2 tires for in a pinch you can stretch it to the larger tire and get to town. Plan your route and file a flight plan with... got more specific questions? One more thing... Don't Look... I pack as if riding naked so I have some extra space just in case.

            Sapere Aude,

            Arye P. Rubenstein

            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2008
              Even when it was just myself on my rebel 250 i always used sadlebags, and a back pack.?? two ppl on one bike, yeah its posible, but you will have to pack very light. or look in to getting T bags to store your gear and have plenty of room for hammock and such