Field use questions

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 29, 2003
      I've been playing around with the HH A-sym I received in the mail 3
      days ago. I set it up in the backyard and lay in it for a long time.
      I feel confident that I'd sleep OK in it, but I have a few serious
      concerns about practical use in the field:

      1) The tree straps seem way too short. According to the HH web
      site's setup recommendations, you'd need to restrict yourself to a
      4" diameter tree to get the strap around twice. They seem woefully
      inadequate for real field use. If I want a longer strap it means I
      have to drive to REI(or order it)and spend time sewing up the ends.
      Is that what you guys have done?

      2) What do you do if you're setting up this thing in the rain?
      According to the design specs,the hammock goes up first, and the
      tarp attaches to the hammock line. I can see a significant amount of
      water getting inside the hammock in the time it takes to tie up the
      second side and when you'd get the tarp thrown over it. I can
      definitely see advantages of adding cord to the other tarp ends and
      tying that up first, independent of the hammock. Anyone doing that?

      3) If it's raining when you get into camp and you haven't eaten
      dinner yet, what then? (Sometimes I eat dinner on the trail then
      hike more, but not always). Set up the tarp alone in-between two
      trees, cook under there, then set up the hammock beneath? What about
      if it's raining in the morning and the designated breakfast requires
      cooking (or you're a tea addict like me?) The hammock has to come
      down before any of this happens. In rain or colder weather, I often
      cook from my sleeping bag. I don't see any way of doing this while
      using a hammock. This restricts hammock camping to only the warmest
      of days or nice-weather days, at least for my style.

      It's not just about sleeping or keeping warm. I can see that hammock
      camping requires a fundamental shift in approach and thinking about
      how camp activities are done. I would appreciate detailed stories
      about how these obstacles are dealt with by you guys that are sold
      on it.
      -Aaron
    • J Cornelius
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 2, 2003

        <snort> Not nearly as hard as I will the first time I get to do it!  Of course, that will be after the initial shock of finding myself asleep on the roof of my hammock wears off ROTFL!

        Jodi