Re: [Hammock Camping] 5 Days of granola bars and tunafish!!

  • C C Wayah
    Message 1 of 9 , May 20, 2008
      Ralph,
      First I'd break up that trip up into smaller groups to lessen the impact on
      the trial.
      Seeing their terrible diet on the first trip.
      I'd recommend pop tarts for breakfast just to be sure they eat a energy
      breakfast and hot chocolate or tang?. .Gorp with nuts and dried fruit and
      M&M's for snacks or granola bars. Actually peanut butter is a hiker staple.
      Since your going in July add plenty of Gatorade for the inevitable
      dehydration in the heat of July. .
      Mac and cheese etc for supper? Nothing too complicated.
      Perhaps if you did some nutrition type backpacking cooking classes between
      now and then the kids might beef up their diet a bit and eat better. Many
      use hard boiled eggs, string cheese rolled in burritos, to supplement the
      poor diet while on the trial.
      Making a set nutritional menu is a mistake as kids these days are junk food
      addicts and don't know how to eat
      so if you set them up with good for them meals some just might throw it in
      the bushes and not eat. .
      Ask the kids what they want/like to eat and then use that list to tweak
      their diet as best you can.
      Powdered breakfast food is also a good one most kids will drink. Smores at
      least once is always a winner.
      And yes there's the ever popular Snickers.
      There's also the choice of prepackaged oriental Thai or other noodles to
      just add boiling water too some come with a bit of veggies in them. Denty
      Moore stew,
      I've done the menu for youth groups going camping in a farmer's filed and it
      can get rough to satisfy every one..
      However most of the kids were vegetarians so were used to veggies and salads
      every day.

      Rogene

      Message 2 of 9 , May 21, 2008
        Hello Ralph
        Here is a website that lets you download an e-book on light weight backpacking techniques written by a scoutmaster and used by his troop. I hope this will help and good luck with your troop and their hike
        Mike S.
        assistant SM
        troop 84
        Hornersville, Mo.

        http://www.kuffelcreek.com/new_release.htm

        To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.comFrom: ccwayah@...: Tue, 20 May 2008 22:19:22 -0400Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] 5 Days of granola bars and tunafish!!

        Ralph,First I'd break up that trip up into smaller groups to lessen the impact on the trial.Seeing their terrible diet on the first trip.I'd recommend pop tarts for breakfast just to be sure they eat a energy breakfast and hot chocolate or tang?. .Gorp with nuts and dried fruit and M&M's for snacks or granola bars. Actually peanut butter is a hiker staple.Since your going in July add plenty of Gatorade for the inevitable dehydration in the heat of July. .Mac and cheese etc for supper? Nothing too complicated.Perhaps if you did some nutrition type backpacking cooking classes between now and then the kids might beef up their diet a bit and eat better. Many use hard boiled eggs, string cheese rolled in burritos, to supplement the poor diet while on the trial.Making a set nutritional menu is a mistake as kids these days are junk food addicts and don't know how to eatso if you set them up with good for them meals some just might throw it in the bushes and not eat. .Ask the kids what they want/like to eat and then use that list to tweak their diet as best you can.Powdered breakfast food is also a good one most kids will drink. Smores at least once is always a winner.And yes there's the ever popular Snickers.There's also the choice of prepackaged oriental Thai or other noodles to just add boiling water too some come with a bit of veggies in them. Denty Moore stew,I've done the menu for youth groups going camping in a farmer's filed and it can get rough to satisfy every one..However most of the kids were vegetarians so were used to veggies and salads every day.Rogene----- Original Message ----- From: "thomassen_ralph" <thomassen_ralph@...>To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 11:09 PMSubject: [Hammock Camping] 5 Days of granola bars and tunafish!!> Hello everyone. I need some ideas. We have almost 20 scouts ranging in> age from 13 to 18 hiking for 5 days on the AT in July. We just did a 2> day backpacking trip, and you would not believe the food some of these> guys brought with them. On kid ate nothing but peanut butter. 2 Jars,> one spoon. Another kid brought a pack of hotdogs....Nothing else. So,> keeping in mind that these boys have to buy the food themselves, prep> it, and cook it on the trail. What are some fun ideas that will keep> them from starving, and they can afford.>> Ralph.> Troop 14 Griffin Ga.>>> ------------------------------------>> Yahoo! Groups Links>>>

      • Chuck Henderson
        Message 3 of 9 , May 24, 2008
          I took my scout troop on a 5 day trip through Algonquin Park two years
          ago i used a variety of dried stuff that i got at the bulk food store
          in town.

          then I discovered freezerbagcooking.com it is so easy and
          nutritious , I actully lived on this stuff when I was living in
          Barracks during my divorce, and I came out well fed.

          I would advise however to cut back on the portions especially the ones
          that call for couscous, that stuff kept on expanding much to the
          amazement of the troop who had a great time eating it and watching it
          fill up the bowl again.