RE: [Hammock Camping] 5 Days of granola bars and tunafish!!

  • Andrew Buskov
    Message 1 of 9 , May 19 8:22 PM
      Not sure that this belongs in this group. I'd suggest the BackpackingTalk
      group. However, my suggestion is to take a look at the Freezerbagcooking
      .com. If you can get these guys interested in lightweight food, that tastes
      good, that's easy to cook, with little to no cleanup, then you'll have a
      killer time prepping for the trip. With projects ranging from dehydrating,
      to making a cozy, and even down to making your own alcohol stove, there are
      a number of projects to keep them occupied.

      BTW. I cross posted, so I'd suggest all further communication take place in
      the other forum.

      AB

      _____

      Visit Corridor9

      <http://www.corridor9.net> http://www.corridor9.net

      ____________________________

      Hello everyone. I need some ideas. We have almost 20 scouts ranging in
      age from 13 to 18 hiking for 5 days on the AT in July. We just did a 2
      day backpacking trip, and you would not believe the food some of these
      guys brought with them. On kid ate nothing but peanut butter. 2 Jars,
      one spoon. Another kid brought a pack of hotdogs....Nothing else. So,
      keeping in mind that these boys have to buy the food themselves, prep
      it, and cook it on the trail. What are some fun ideas that will keep
      them from starving, and they can afford.

      Ralph.
      Troop 14 Griffin Ga.

    • rmckibben
      Message 2 of 9 , May 19 8:28 PM
        Kellogs' or Quaker Oats' Granola cereal with powdered milk. Nido dry
        milk in the Mexican section at Wally's World is better than the
        "normal" no fat. 1 cup cereal, 3 spoons powder, in a sandwich bag, 1
        cup water when ready to eat. Good for more than just 1 meal per day,
        but anything gets boring if its more than once per day. I hate
        cleaning pots, so the add 2 cups boiling water to the foil bag is my
        standard. Probably too expensive for boys, and plus you're trying to
        train them.... I've seen lots of thru-hikers with Ramen noodles,
        mac&cheese, quick rice. I saw one person eat nothing but potato
        flakes for a couple of meals - add boiling water of course. Another
        lady had potato flakes + some kind of powdered cheese... for
        breakfast, ugh. The best looking was dirty rice + ready to eat chicken
        breast (similar to the tuna in a foil pouch) + some powdered spices.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "thomassen_ralph"
        <thomassen_ralph@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone. I need some ideas. We have almost 20 scouts ranging in
        > age from 13 to 18 hiking for 5 days on the AT in July. We just did a 2
        > day backpacking trip, and you would not believe the food some of these
        > guys brought with them. On kid ate nothing but peanut butter. 2 Jars,
        > one spoon. Another kid brought a pack of hotdogs....Nothing else. So,
        > keeping in mind that these boys have to buy the food themselves, prep
        > it, and cook it on the trail. What are some fun ideas that will keep
        > them from starving, and they can afford.
        >
        > Ralph.
        > Troop 14 Griffin Ga.

      • Tom Frazier
        Message 3 of 9 , May 19 11:42 PM
          The last campout I did was composed of mainly instant oatmeal and mixed drinks (pre-sweetened drinks, coolaids, lemonaides, fruit drinks, electrolyte drinks, etc.). You could get the peanut butter kids to bring jelly too, and some honey a long with that. Macaroni and cheese and other pasta meals that come in a box should work too, if no one minds doing some cooking. Just buy a box of quality ziplock bags, write the cooking instructions on the bags with a permanent marker, and repackage the box contents into the ziplock bags. Saves a ton of room.

          You guys haven't made a list of breakfast, lunch, and dinner items? Perhaps, depending upon how much your group treks, a list of snacks for on-the-trail-breaks? They should have their own basic equipment: small bowl/cup, spork, and water bottle.

          If you're in dire need of planning camp meals, check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Cooking-Minutes-Backpacker-Guides/dp/0898865514/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211265342&sr=1-1
          It's chock-full of information and how-to's; you should be able to get plenty of use out of it. If you get this one, be sure to buy the book's sequel, as it delves into even more details and techniques. Each book contains calorie information and full nutrition charts.

          The basic premise of most camp cooking, is to do the basic measuring and prep work at home before you even step foot outside that door. Package it all into compact packages, complete with cooking instructions. This makes the camping experience itself more a matter of pleasure, than mostly of trying too hard to make a passable meal.

          And for those of you who are parents who like to camp with young children, this book might be of interest to you, as it is filled with lots of learning activities for children that teach both the child *and* the parent the simple, natural basics of wilderness survival: http://www.rei.com/product/584019?vcat=REI_SSHP_BOOKS_MAPS_TOC Might be good for you scouts, too.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 20 4:16 AM
            Try looking at Trailplace.com or USTrailwalker.com or whiteblaze.com They
            all have scads of info.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 20 6:27 AM
              Ralph,

              We took our venture crew (same age group as you describe) from Pen-Mar to Harpers Ferry in March. About 45 miles in 4 days. Our strategy was to break into small groups for meals, one adult per group since we would always be in the same place for meals and thus observing two-deep leadership at all times.

              This strategy allowed us to ensure that meals were always appropriate because of adequate guidance. In preparation for developing the menus, we sent the boys to cooking and food forums whiteblaze.net and and to wander the supermarkets. Oatmeal works well for breakfast on cold/cool days, with nuts and dried fruits. Summer sausage, pepperoni, other hard meats with cheese and flat breads or tortillas work well at lunch, and dinners often relied on ramen, pasta, noodle or rice meals (Zatarains, liptons, etc) with foil packages of chicken, tuna, or salmon. McCormick sauce mixes (stroganoff, spaghetti sauces,e tc) can all work well with ramen , foil-packed meats, powdered milk or freeze-dried tomato paste, whatever is appropriate to the recipe. Our guys are all competent cooks since we have an annual cooking competition campout, so we know they can cook.

              Harmony House Foods (http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/) has lots of good freeze dried and dehydrated foods, including chili and stew mixes which are excellent for backpacking. However, they are incredibly healthy and may need to be supplemented with meat, salt and fat depending on the conditions.

              Instant pudding also works well at night.

              There really is no reason not to teach these boys to eat well on the trail. When they are on their own they can live off snicker bars and ramen all they want...but they will have at least made an informed choice.

              -Tod

              Message 6 of 9 , May 20 7:19 PM
                Ralph,
                First I'd break up that trip up into smaller groups to lessen the impact on
                the trial.
                Seeing their terrible diet on the first trip.
                I'd recommend pop tarts for breakfast just to be sure they eat a energy
                breakfast and hot chocolate or tang?. .Gorp with nuts and dried fruit and
                M&M's for snacks or granola bars. Actually peanut butter is a hiker staple.
                Since your going in July add plenty of Gatorade for the inevitable
                dehydration in the heat of July. .
                Mac and cheese etc for supper? Nothing too complicated.
                Perhaps if you did some nutrition type backpacking cooking classes between
                now and then the kids might beef up their diet a bit and eat better. Many
                use hard boiled eggs, string cheese rolled in burritos, to supplement the
                poor diet while on the trial.
                Making a set nutritional menu is a mistake as kids these days are junk food
                addicts and don't know how to eat
                so if you set them up with good for them meals some just might throw it in
                the bushes and not eat. .
                Ask the kids what they want/like to eat and then use that list to tweak
                their diet as best you can.
                Powdered breakfast food is also a good one most kids will drink. Smores at
                least once is always a winner.
                And yes there's the ever popular Snickers.
                There's also the choice of prepackaged oriental Thai or other noodles to
                just add boiling water too some come with a bit of veggies in them. Denty
                Moore stew,
                I've done the menu for youth groups going camping in a farmer's filed and it
                can get rough to satisfy every one..
                However most of the kids were vegetarians so were used to veggies and salads
                every day.

                Rogene

                > Hello everyone. I need some ideas. We have almost 20 scouts ranging in
                > age from 13 to 18 hiking for 5 days on the AT in July. We just did a 2
                > day backpacking trip, and you would not believe the food some of these
                > guys brought with them. On kid ate nothing but peanut butter. 2 Jars,
                > one spoon. Another kid brought a pack of hotdogs....Nothing else. So,
                > keeping in mind that these boys have to buy the food themselves, prep
                > it, and cook it on the trail. What are some fun ideas that will keep
                > them from starving, and they can afford.
                >
                > Ralph.
                > Troop 14 Griffin Ga.

              • Mike S.
                Message 7 of 9 , May 21 6:02 PM
                  Hello Ralph
                  Here is a website that lets you download an e-book on light weight backpacking techniques written by a scoutmaster and used by his troop. I hope this will help and good luck with your troop and their hike
                  Mike S.
                  assistant SM
                  troop 84
                  Hornersville, Mo.

                  http://www.kuffelcreek.com/new_release.htm

                  To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.comFrom: ccwayah@...: Tue, 20 May 2008 22:19:22 -0400Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] 5 Days of granola bars and tunafish!!

                  Ralph,First I'd break up that trip up into smaller groups to lessen the impact on the trial.Seeing their terrible diet on the first trip.I'd recommend pop tarts for breakfast just to be sure they eat a energy breakfast and hot chocolate or tang?. .Gorp with nuts and dried fruit and M&M's for snacks or granola bars. Actually peanut butter is a hiker staple.Since your going in July add plenty of Gatorade for the inevitable dehydration in the heat of July. .Mac and cheese etc for supper? Nothing too complicated.Perhaps if you did some nutrition type backpacking cooking classes between now and then the kids might beef up their diet a bit and eat better. Many use hard boiled eggs, string cheese rolled in burritos, to supplement the poor diet while on the trial.Making a set nutritional menu is a mistake as kids these days are junk food addicts and don't know how to eatso if you set them up with good for them meals some just might throw it in the bushes and not eat. .Ask the kids what they want/like to eat and then use that list to tweak their diet as best you can.Powdered breakfast food is also a good one most kids will drink. Smores at least once is always a winner.And yes there's the ever popular Snickers.There's also the choice of prepackaged oriental Thai or other noodles to just add boiling water too some come with a bit of veggies in them. Denty Moore stew,I've done the menu for youth groups going camping in a farmer's filed and it can get rough to satisfy every one..However most of the kids were vegetarians so were used to veggies and salads every day.Rogene----- Original Message ----- From: "thomassen_ralph" <thomassen_ralph@...>To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 11:09 PMSubject: [Hammock Camping] 5 Days of granola bars and tunafish!!> Hello everyone. I need some ideas. We have almost 20 scouts ranging in> age from 13 to 18 hiking for 5 days on the AT in July. We just did a 2> day backpacking trip, and you would not believe the food some of these> guys brought with them. On kid ate nothing but peanut butter. 2 Jars,> one spoon. Another kid brought a pack of hotdogs....Nothing else. So,> keeping in mind that these boys have to buy the food themselves, prep> it, and cook it on the trail. What are some fun ideas that will keep> them from starving, and they can afford.>> Ralph.> Troop 14 Griffin Ga.>>> ------------------------------------>> Yahoo! Groups Links>>>

                • Chuck Henderson
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 24 12:45 PM
                    I took my scout troop on a 5 day trip through Algonquin Park two years
                    ago i used a variety of dried stuff that i got at the bulk food store
                    in town.

                    then I discovered freezerbagcooking.com it is so easy and
                    nutritious , I actully lived on this stuff when I was living in
                    Barracks during my divorce, and I came out well fed.

                    I would advise however to cut back on the portions especially the ones
                    that call for couscous, that stuff kept on expanding much to the
                    amazement of the troop who had a great time eating it and watching it
                    fill up the bowl again.