cuben hammock

  • Richard Perlman
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12, 2008
      Cuben does not breath. How do you deal with condensation? Isn't it
      like being wrapped up in a trash bag?

      the gnome of blue island wrote:
      > my thoughts on under quilts. I have modified a nanatuk down quilt by removing the foot box and turning it into an under quilt. with a shock cord in the sides and light shock cords over the strutural ridge line, in my home made cuben hammock.; it works great. I also put a very lite (.3 ) cuben sheet on the undersiode of the nanatuk to keep drafts and wind heat loss at a minnimum. . I'm wondering , why cant you make a down under quilt with a cuben bottom and a momentum top. ultra lite and keeps draftds and spindrift out.
      > the gnome of blue island

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12, 2008
        Some people on this list have advocated using mylar as a vapor barrier
        between the hammock and the underquilt or outside the underquilt. Mylar
        would result in similar condensation problems.

        I once tried an insulated mylar (similar to the truck windshield cover)
        as an underquilt and found almost a teaspoon of condensation collected
        at the shield's lowest point. So, I decided that, for me, a
        non-breathable layer would not work. I'm had success with house-tyvek
        as a way to block wind, splash-back, dog noses, and rolling fogs.

        CL