cuben

  • mrbyer
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12, 2008
      Hey, I was wondering how your experiemnts with cuben have been going.
      I remember you telling me you were using it to make a hammock. I guess
      it went well, eh?

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, the gnome of blue island
      <shortdottedline@...> wrote:

      > my thoughts on under quilts. I have modified a nanatuk down quilt by
      removing the foot box and turning it into an under quilt. with a shock
      cord in the sides and light shock cords over the strutural ridge
      line, in my home made cuben hammock.; it works great. I also put a
      very lite (.3 ) cuben sheet on the undersiode of the nanatuk to keep
      drafts and wind heat loss at a minnimum. . I'm wondering , why cant
      you make a down under quilt with a cuben bottom and a momentum top.
      ultra lite and keeps draftds and spindrift out.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 12, 2008
        Cuben does not breath. How do you deal with condensation? Isn't it
        like being wrapped up in a trash bag?

        the gnome of blue island wrote:
        > my thoughts on under quilts. I have modified a nanatuk down quilt by removing the foot box and turning it into an under quilt. with a shock cord in the sides and light shock cords over the strutural ridge line, in my home made cuben hammock.; it works great. I also put a very lite (.3 ) cuben sheet on the undersiode of the nanatuk to keep drafts and wind heat loss at a minnimum. . I'm wondering , why cant you make a down under quilt with a cuben bottom and a momentum top. ultra lite and keeps draftds and spindrift out.
        > the gnome of blue island

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 4 , May 12, 2008
          Some people on this list have advocated using mylar as a vapor barrier
          between the hammock and the underquilt or outside the underquilt. Mylar
          would result in similar condensation problems.

          I once tried an insulated mylar (similar to the truck windshield cover)
          as an underquilt and found almost a teaspoon of condensation collected
          at the shield's lowest point. So, I decided that, for me, a
          non-breathable layer would not work. I'm had success with house-tyvek
          as a way to block wind, splash-back, dog noses, and rolling fogs.

          CL