  • the gnome of blue island
    Message 1 of 4 , May 11 7:14 PM
      my thoughts on under quilts. I have modified a nanatuk down quilt by removing the foot box and turning it into an under quilt. with a shock cord in the sides and  light shock cords over the  strutural ridge line, in my home made cuben hammock.; it works great. I also put a very lite (.3 ) cuben sheet on the undersiode of the nanatuk to keep drafts and wind heat loss at a minnimum. . I'm wondering , why cant you make a down under quilt with a cuben bottom and a momentum top. ultra lite and keeps draftds and spindrift out.
       the gnome of blue island

    • mrbyer
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12 7:23 AM
        Hey, I was wondering how your experiemnts with cuben have been going.
        I remember you telling me you were using it to make a hammock. I guess
        it went well, eh?

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, the gnome of blue island

        Message 3 of 4 , May 12 7:31 AM
          Cuben does not breath. How do you deal with condensation? Isn't it
          like being wrapped up in a trash bag?

          the gnome of blue island wrote:
          > my thoughts on under quilts. I have modified a nanatuk down quilt by removing the foot box and turning it into an under quilt. with a shock cord in the sides and light shock cords over the strutural ridge line, in my home made cuben hammock.; it works great. I also put a very lite (.3 ) cuben sheet on the undersiode of the nanatuk to keep drafts and wind heat loss at a minnimum. . I'm wondering , why cant you make a down under quilt with a cuben bottom and a momentum top. ultra lite and keeps draftds and spindrift out.
          > the gnome of blue island

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 4 , May 12 8:27 AM
            Some people on this list have advocated using mylar as a vapor barrier
            between the hammock and the underquilt or outside the underquilt. Mylar
            would result in similar condensation problems.

            I once tried an insulated mylar (similar to the truck windshield cover)
            as an underquilt and found almost a teaspoon of condensation collected
            at the shield's lowest point. So, I decided that, for me, a
            non-breathable layer would not work. I'm had success with house-tyvek
            as a way to block wind, splash-back, dog noses, and rolling fogs.

            CL