Those Sierra Nights

  • Brian H
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9, 2008
      I am at a crossroads. My basic setup is a Speer/Risk/Jeff double layer
      hammock with a GVP thinlight pad between the layers. I use a hacked up REI
      Sub Kilo bag as a quilt.

      All of my trips are three day Sierra high country with night-time temps in
      the 40's-50's. My usual sleep setup is a Golite c-thru top and Patagonia
      lightweight bottoms, sometimes with fleece socks and a beanie. I am toasty
      warm on top, some nights to the point of sweat, but with a freezing
      rear/shoulders when I wiggle off the pad.

      I find that a pad inside the hammock is uncomfortable after trying it with
      my new single layer hammock or my bliss hammock as a test in the yard. I'd
      like to move toward using the single layer hammock and use the weight
      savings to offset other goodies.

      Now the fun part. I have tons of silnylon, 1.1 and 1.2 ripstop laying
      around. Also some Thinsulate ultra and a big bag of goose feather/down mix.
      I was thinking that an underquilt might work better than the pad and be
      worth the weight trade-off.

      I would like to hear from anyone using underquilts at 40-50 degrees as to
      what your quilt is made of, how it is attached and if possible, a pattern
      that works for over and under use.

      Thank You,

      Brian H
      Folsom, CA
    • Richard Perlman
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9, 2008
        I have 2 set-ups which work for 40-50º. The first is a Jacks'R'Better
        Shenandoah underquilt with a Hennessey Hyperlight hammock. The second
        is an older Speer PeaPod (700 down and sewn through construction) with a
        Speer III hammock.

        I only use the HH when there are bugs about. I've had the Speer set up
        into the low 20's with the
        Shenandoah as added insulation inside the PeaPod. On top is an older
        Speer TopQuilt. Having a modular system gives so much flexibility.

        Once you go "underquilt" you'll never go back to a pad.

        Rich

        Brian H wrote:
        > I am at a crossroads. My basic setup is a Speer/Risk/Jeff double layer
        > hammock with a GVP thinlight pad between the layers. I use a hacked up REI
        > Sub Kilo bag as a quilt.
        >
        > All of my trips are three day Sierra high country with night-time temps in
        > the 40's-50's. My usual sleep setup is a Golite c-thru top and Patagonia
        > lightweight bottoms, sometimes with fleece socks and a beanie. I am toasty
        > warm on top, some nights to the point of sweat, but with a freezing
        > rear/shoulders when I wiggle off the pad.
        >
        > I find that a pad inside the hammock is uncomfortable after trying it with
        > my new single layer hammock or my bliss hammock as a test in the yard. I'd
        > like to move toward using the single layer hammock and use the weight
        > savings to offset other goodies.
        >
        > Now the fun part. I have tons of silnylon, 1.1 and 1.2 ripstop laying
        > around. Also some Thinsulate ultra and a big bag of goose feather/down mix.
        > I was thinking that an underquilt might work better than the pad and be
        > worth the weight trade-off.
        >
        > I would like to hear from anyone using underquilts at 40-50 degrees as to
        > what your quilt is made of, how it is attached and if possible, a pattern
        > that works for over and under use.
        >
        > Thank You,
        >
        > Brian H
        > Folsom, CA

      • rob m
        Message 3 of 4 , May 10, 2008
          Once you try an underquilt you'll never go back to your old life! A
          good multipurpose pattern is Hammock Engineer's Red River Gorge quilt
          found at

          http://www.tothewoods.net/RedRiverGorgeQuilt/RedRiverGorgeQuilt.html

          I bought a kit from thru-hiker.com, but used HE's instructions.
          thru-hiker also has instructions, but I liked HE's better.

          I use a combo of shock cords, mini biners, and parachute cord to attach
          it to the bottom. My system is described in hammockforums.net - search
          for entries by tight-wad. It sounds complicated, but its not. 1 mini
          biner connects the shock cords on each corner on one end. A paracord
          also connects to the mini biner. The paracord passes through a loop at
          the end of the hammock, follows the ridge line to the middle, and while
          lying in your hammock, you tie it off wherever. While lying in the
          hammock reach out and feel around. Too tight, loosen it. Too loose,
          tighten it. After a time or two you get the hang of it.

          On my latest outing it was good down to freezing (and could have gone
          further). You can "regulate" the warmth by venting one or both ends to
          make it comfortable for you in whatever temperature.