Trail Days - Damascus, VA

  • karens62@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9 12:16 PM
      As most of you know, Trail Days in Damascus, VA is next weekend, May 15-18 and we will be there, along with Jacks 'R' Better,? and Anti-Gravity Gear. ?As always, the Speer Hammocks booth will be set up sometime on Thursday afternoon and we'll be there until mid-day on Sunday.??We will be offering a 10% discount on all items during the weekend, but that really isn't the point of this message.

      Whether you want to buy something or not, Ed and I?sincerely invite you all to stop by and say hello. If you do, please let us know?that you are a member of the group and we will have a small token of appreciation for you. There will probably be a couple other members of this group helping us out and we always set aside a shady area for our friends to sit and catch up.

      This is one of our favorite weekends of the year?because of all the great people we get to meet?so don't be shy - come by and say howdy!

      http://www.traildays.us/

      Karen
      Speer Hammocks, Inc

    • Brian H
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9 1:45 PM
        I am at a crossroads. My basic setup is a Speer/Risk/Jeff double layer
        hammock with a GVP thinlight pad between the layers. I use a hacked up REI
        Sub Kilo bag as a quilt.

        All of my trips are three day Sierra high country with night-time temps in
        the 40's-50's. My usual sleep setup is a Golite c-thru top and Patagonia
        lightweight bottoms, sometimes with fleece socks and a beanie. I am toasty
        warm on top, some nights to the point of sweat, but with a freezing
        rear/shoulders when I wiggle off the pad.

        I find that a pad inside the hammock is uncomfortable after trying it with
        my new single layer hammock or my bliss hammock as a test in the yard. I'd
        like to move toward using the single layer hammock and use the weight
        savings to offset other goodies.

        Now the fun part. I have tons of silnylon, 1.1 and 1.2 ripstop laying
        around. Also some Thinsulate ultra and a big bag of goose feather/down mix.
        I was thinking that an underquilt might work better than the pad and be
        worth the weight trade-off.

        I would like to hear from anyone using underquilts at 40-50 degrees as to
        what your quilt is made of, how it is attached and if possible, a pattern
        that works for over and under use.

        Thank You,

        Brian H
        Folsom, CA
      • Richard Perlman
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9 2:29 PM
          I have 2 set-ups which work for 40-50º. The first is a Jacks'R'Better
          Shenandoah underquilt with a Hennessey Hyperlight hammock. The second
          is an older Speer PeaPod (700 down and sewn through construction) with a
          Speer III hammock.

          I only use the HH when there are bugs about. I've had the Speer set up
          into the low 20's with the
          Shenandoah as added insulation inside the PeaPod. On top is an older
          Speer TopQuilt. Having a modular system gives so much flexibility.

          Once you go "underquilt" you'll never go back to a pad.

          Rich

          Brian H wrote:
          > I am at a crossroads. My basic setup is a Speer/Risk/Jeff double layer
          > hammock with a GVP thinlight pad between the layers. I use a hacked up REI
          > Sub Kilo bag as a quilt.
          >
          > All of my trips are three day Sierra high country with night-time temps in
          > the 40's-50's. My usual sleep setup is a Golite c-thru top and Patagonia
          > lightweight bottoms, sometimes with fleece socks and a beanie. I am toasty
          > warm on top, some nights to the point of sweat, but with a freezing
          > rear/shoulders when I wiggle off the pad.
          >
          > I find that a pad inside the hammock is uncomfortable after trying it with
          > my new single layer hammock or my bliss hammock as a test in the yard. I'd
          > like to move toward using the single layer hammock and use the weight
          > savings to offset other goodies.
          >
          > Now the fun part. I have tons of silnylon, 1.1 and 1.2 ripstop laying
          > around. Also some Thinsulate ultra and a big bag of goose feather/down mix.
          > I was thinking that an underquilt might work better than the pad and be
          > worth the weight trade-off.
          >
          > I would like to hear from anyone using underquilts at 40-50 degrees as to
          > what your quilt is made of, how it is attached and if possible, a pattern
          > that works for over and under use.
          >
          > Thank You,
          >
          > Brian H
          > Folsom, CA

        • rob m
          Message 4 of 4 , May 10 11:20 AM
            Once you try an underquilt you'll never go back to your old life! A
            good multipurpose pattern is Hammock Engineer's Red River Gorge quilt
            found at

            http://www.tothewoods.net/RedRiverGorgeQuilt/RedRiverGorgeQuilt.html

            I bought a kit from thru-hiker.com, but used HE's instructions.
            thru-hiker also has instructions, but I liked HE's better.

            I use a combo of shock cords, mini biners, and parachute cord to attach
            it to the bottom. My system is described in hammockforums.net - search
            for entries by tight-wad. It sounds complicated, but its not. 1 mini
            biner connects the shock cords on each corner on one end. A paracord
            also connects to the mini biner. The paracord passes through a loop at
            the end of the hammock, follows the ridge line to the middle, and while
            lying in your hammock, you tie it off wherever. While lying in the
            hammock reach out and feel around. Too tight, loosen it. Too loose,
            tighten it. After a time or two you get the hang of it.

            On my latest outing it was good down to freezing (and could have gone
            further). You can "regulate" the warmth by venting one or both ends to
            make it comfortable for you in whatever temperature.