Re: [Hammock Camping] A place to hang in the Naples, FL area?

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2008
      Three weekends ago, I drove to Monument Lake on the Tamiami Trail and
      a Big Cypress CG...not wilderness and no hanging, but they DO have
      flush toilets 'cept they were doing controlled burns so we had to
      backtrack.

      Ended up at the Midway CG, which has (to my amazement) electricity
      (but no water cept at the bathhouse - flush toilets again!. Since I
      was equipped with small battery packs to power my 12volt Endless
      Breeze fan and the popup has propane, I put in $10 ($8 is for tent
      sites with nada and $20 for RV sites with electric) in the "honor
      box."

      It was cool in the evening but got quite hot in the day time.

      Interesting note: they had put purple martin gourd condos and they
      are apparently doing a good job of keeping the mozzie population
      down...at least for now..not sure in mid-summer

      sandy in miami

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <Carey@...>
      wrote:

      > Yeah, that's a tough one as the state parks here are great and all
      over the
      > place. All the good park land has become state park which is good
      if you
      > don't hang. One of the main things they stress when you arrive
      is "Dont tie
      > ANYTHING to the trees."
      >
      > I don't know if you kayak, but mostly I paddle out to the 1000
      Islands area
      > and hang in Mangroves on the beaches. Either in the Everglades
      National Park
      > or just north of it in a free-for-all area. When camping with a
      group, say
      > in Loxahatchee over near Fort Lauderdale, I pitched a tarp and used
      my HH as
      > a bug shield under it, tying the netting up to the ridge line I set.
      >
      > I have see some private camp grounds out east of Naples/Marco on
      the Tamiami
      > trail but I don't recall the name right off. And I don't know if
      they allow
      > hanging.
      >
      > You can walk into the Big Cypress and hang if you want. National
      Forest
      > people don't prohibit hammocks. It's still dry season so it's not a
      swamp
      > walk yet. But the swamp angels are starting as it's getting warmer.
      There's
      > a camp called Seven Mile Camp that I've been wanting to try
      sometime.

      > http://www.tampabay.com/sports/outdoors/article439840.ece
      >
      > There are camp grounds in Big Cypress too. See
      >
      > http://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/upload/BigCypress0708.pdf
      >
      > Let me know if you have other questions. Sorry I don't know an
      exact spot to
      > hang where I've hung before - beach camping in the islands is just
      too cool
      > for me to have camped on the mainland yet.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Carey

    • David Fox
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2008
        I really like listening to the purple martins too.

        <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , "Carey Parks" <Carey@...>
        wrote:

        > Yeah, that's a tough one as the state parks here are great and all
        over the
        > place. All the good park land has become state park which is good
        if you
        > don't hang. One of the main things they stress when you arrive
        is "Dont tie
        > ANYTHING to the trees."
        >
        > I don't know if you kayak, but mostly I paddle out to the 1000
        Islands area
        > and hang in Mangroves on the beaches. Either in the Everglades
        National Park
        > or just north of it in a free-for-all area. When camping with a
        group, say
        > in Loxahatchee over near Fort Lauderdale, I pitched a tarp and used
        my HH as
        > a bug shield under it, tying the netting up to the ridge line I set.
        >
        > I have see some private camp grounds out east of Naples/Marco on
        the Tamiami
        > trail but I don't recall the name right off. And I don't know if
        they allow
        > hanging.
        >
        > You can walk into the Big Cypress and hang if you want. National
        Forest
        > people don't prohibit hammocks. It's still dry season so it's not a
        swamp
        > walk yet. But the swamp angels are starting as it's getting warmer.
        There's
        > a camp called Seven Mile Camp that I've been wanting to try
        sometime.

        > http://www.tampabay.com/sports/outdoors/article439840.ece
        >
        > There are camp grounds in Big Cypress too. See
        >
        > http://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/upload/BigCypress0708.pdf
        >
        > Let me know if you have other questions. Sorry I don't know an
        exact spot to
        > hang where I've hung before - beach camping in the islands is just
        too cool
        > for me to have camped on the mainland yet.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Carey

      • wcfw
        Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2008
          Thanks - I am heading over from Miami for business and will ultimately
          be in Tampa. As such, I need to stay closer to the coast - I just
          thought I might find something in the Naples - Ft. Meyers area.

          You definitely need to do the 7mile camp - I stayed there over new
          years 2yrs ago. The trail itself is beautiful - it is amazing the
          variety of habitat and the way a couple of feet elevation make such a
          huge difference.

          I have never kayaked the 10000 islands. I have done an overnighter out
          of Flamingo and a weekend over to boca chita, but someday I would love
          to do the whole wilderness waterway.

          I guess I'll just have to bring the tent.