A place to hang in the Naples, FL area?

  • wcfw
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8 4:03 AM
      I will be in Naples next week and am looking for a place to camp. I
      understand the rules against hammock camping in the state parks and was
      curious if anyone could provide any assistance. Thanks in advance!
    • Carey Parks
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8 4:55 AM
        Yeah, that's a tough one as the state parks here are great and all over the
        place. All the good park land has become state park which is good if you
        don't hang. One of the main things they stress when you arrive is "Dont tie
        ANYTHING to the trees."

        I don't know if you kayak, but mostly I paddle out to the 1000 Islands area
        and hang in Mangroves on the beaches. Either in the Everglades National Park
        or just north of it in a free-for-all area. When camping with a group, say
        in Loxahatchee over near Fort Lauderdale, I pitched a tarp and used my HH as
        a bug shield under it, tying the netting up to the ridge line I set.

        I have see some private camp grounds out east of Naples/Marco on the Tamiami
        trail but I don't recall the name right off. And I don't know if they allow
        hanging.

        You can walk into the Big Cypress and hang if you want. National Forest
        people don't prohibit hammocks. It's still dry season so it's not a swamp
        walk yet. But the swamp angels are starting as it's getting warmer. There's
        a camp called Seven Mile Camp that I've been wanting to try sometime.

        http://www.tampabay.com/sports/outdoors/article439840.ece

        There are camp grounds in Big Cypress too. See

        http://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/upload/BigCypress0708.pdf

        Let me know if you have other questions. Sorry I don't know an exact spot to
        hang where I've hung before - beach camping in the islands is just too cool
        for me to have camped on the mainland yet.

        Cheers,

        Carey

        Message 3 of 5 , May 8 8:04 AM
          Three weekends ago, I drove to Monument Lake on the Tamiami Trail and
          a Big Cypress CG...not wilderness and no hanging, but they DO have
          flush toilets 'cept they were doing controlled burns so we had to
          backtrack.

          Ended up at the Midway CG, which has (to my amazement) electricity
          (but no water cept at the bathhouse - flush toilets again!. Since I
          was equipped with small battery packs to power my 12volt Endless
          Breeze fan and the popup has propane, I put in $10 ($8 is for tent
          sites with nada and $20 for RV sites with electric) in the "honor
          box."

          It was cool in the evening but got quite hot in the day time.

          Interesting note: they had put purple martin gourd condos and they
          are apparently doing a good job of keeping the mozzie population
          down...at least for now..not sure in mid-summer

          sandy in miami

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <Carey@...>
          wrote:

          > Yeah, that's a tough one as the state parks here are great and all
          over the
          > place. All the good park land has become state park which is good
          if you
          > don't hang. One of the main things they stress when you arrive
          is "Dont tie
          > ANYTHING to the trees."
          >
          > I don't know if you kayak, but mostly I paddle out to the 1000
          Islands area
          > and hang in Mangroves on the beaches. Either in the Everglades
          National Park
          > or just north of it in a free-for-all area. When camping with a
          group, say
          > in Loxahatchee over near Fort Lauderdale, I pitched a tarp and used
          my HH as
          > a bug shield under it, tying the netting up to the ridge line I set.
          >
          > I have see some private camp grounds out east of Naples/Marco on
          the Tamiami
          > trail but I don't recall the name right off. And I don't know if
          they allow
          > hanging.
          >
          > You can walk into the Big Cypress and hang if you want. National
          Forest
          > people don't prohibit hammocks. It's still dry season so it's not a
          swamp
          > walk yet. But the swamp angels are starting as it's getting warmer.
          There's
          > a camp called Seven Mile Camp that I've been wanting to try
          sometime.

          > http://www.tampabay.com/sports/outdoors/article439840.ece
          >
          > There are camp grounds in Big Cypress too. See
          >
          > http://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/upload/BigCypress0708.pdf
          >
          > Let me know if you have other questions. Sorry I don't know an
          exact spot to
          > hang where I've hung before - beach camping in the islands is just
          too cool
          > for me to have camped on the mainland yet.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Carey

        • David Fox
          Message 4 of 5 , May 8 9:26 AM
            I really like listening to the purple martins too.

            <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com> , "Carey Parks" <Carey@...>

            Message 5 of 5 , May 8 4:20 PM
              Thanks - I am heading over from Miami for business and will ultimately
              be in Tampa. As such, I need to stay closer to the coast - I just
              thought I might find something in the Naples - Ft. Meyers area.

              You definitely need to do the 7mile camp - I stayed there over new
              years 2yrs ago. The trail itself is beautiful - it is amazing the
              variety of habitat and the way a couple of feet elevation make such a
              huge difference.

              I have never kayaked the 10000 islands. I have done an overnighter out
              of Flamingo and a weekend over to boca chita, but someday I would love
              to do the whole wilderness waterway.

              I guess I'll just have to bring the tent.