Re: [Hammock Camping] SEHHA weekend

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2008
      Wanted to say how much fun AG and I had at Hot Springs. Thank you so
      much for being such gracious hosts. Tim, I hope you can make the next
      one.

      regards,
      Patrick

      > yep, i've been seeing a few pictures from the weekend.
      > i can't believe you guys... having all that fun w/o me<G>. i sure
      hated missing it.

      > someone asked me when your next one will be...
      june? ...tim

      > karens62@... wrote:
      >
      > Once again, the April Southeast Hammock Hangers weekend at Hot
      Springs is in the past and, as always, Ed and I had a wonderful time.
      We counted over 30 hammockers or wannabes including 7 who couldn't
      stay but dropped by for a visit on either Saturday or Sunday. This is
      quite a change from the first few campouts where we had a handful of
      hangers at best. I think the first 3 campouts had 10 people total
      (counting Ed?three times and me twice).?My major dissapointment for
      the weekend was that, once agin, I lost the duck race. Some year my
      duck?will win!

      > When Ed and I stopped for lunch on the way home yesterday, we kept
      commenting on how much we enjoy these weekends. Not only was the food
      great (I can't even begin to describe how yummy that cake was) but it
      never ceases to amaze us how a group of strangers can sit down around
      a campfire and have such?a pleasant?time sharing information, gossip
      and stories. We especially enjoy having families with their children
      join us. Watching kids eat marshmallows and invent endless adventures
      with just a long stick as a toy is one of the true joys of camping.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2008
        thanks. i'm hoping to make the one in june. ....tim

        Patrick <patrick@...> wrote: Wanted to say how much fun AG and I had at Hot Springs. Thank you so

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner

        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2008
          I've RSVP'ed and looking forward to meeting everyone.

          Question: are dogs allowed?

          Tina
          http://frecs.blogspot.com

          Message 4 of 9 , May 4, 2008
            yep, i can remember at least two dogs & one cat right off.
            1st time i've ever seen a cat walked on a leash<G>, but he seemed to like it just fine.
            hope we'll see you there. ...tim

            Tina Paxton <Frecs@...> wrote:
            I've RSVP'ed and looking forward to meeting everyone.

            Question: are dogs allowed?

            Tina
            http://frecs.blogspot.com

          • Blake Robert
            Message 5 of 9 , May 5, 2008
              Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 09:33:02 -0700 (PDT)
              From: "Robt. Blake" <flagstaffhikingclub@...>
              Add Mobile Alert
              Yahoo! DomainKeys has confirmed that this message was
              sent by yahoo.com. Learn more
              Subject: This weekend's hike/last Sat. + photographs
              To: "Flagstaff Club" <flagstaffhikingclub@...>
              1.) This Saturday's hike

              2.) Long Canyon + the potluck

              1.) This Saturday's hike

              Wet Beaver Creek: dayhike or backpack. Saturday---but,
              Friday, Mary Gavan, one of her NAU classmates, and I
              will hike about 100 yards past the end of the Bell
              Trail and find campsites and grab the best area
              available for you folks.

              Saturday, everyone else---dayhikers and
              backpackers---will assemble at the end of West Birch
              Street at 8 a.m. and come down and join us---driving
              42 miles south on I-17 to the Sedona exit but will
              turn left---back under I-17 and go a few miles east to
              the Beaver Creek Ranger Station turnoff and then into
              the parking lot for the Wet Beaver Creek trailhead.
              They will then hike 4 miles to the end of the trail
              and the most popular pool. Here, we will have both
              parties meet. After some cooling off in the pool, some
              will loaf around the pool---others will hike 1.5 miles
              beyond the trail's end to the prettiest half mile
              stretch. I bought a Casio Exilim specifically so that
              I would have a camera that fits into an otterbox.
              Waterproof to depth and nearly crushproof for most
              hiking circumstances. I have wanted to photograph this
              area for a long time---but, there are a few DOZEN
              stream crossings AND some deep swimming stretches.
              Wear boots you don't mind getting wet!!!!!!

              Don't try to contact me Friday---I will be gone
              getting the campsites. No email access after Thursday
              mid-afternoon.

              So far, Betty Sweigart---our oldest member---is going
              for a Wet Beaver dayhike. She is also planning to go
              on the car camp Les and I are leading the next
              weekend---with Les and I going a day early to grab the
              nicest campsites for you folks.

              See below: PS If anyone else wants to go down from
              Flagstaff Friday---we will ne another car. Mine is a
              two seater.

              Wet Beaver Creek
              This clear, cool brook remains pleasantly secluded in
              the deep red rock canyon it has cut into the southern
              rim of the Colorado Plateau. For much of its length,
              the land bordering Wet Beaver Creek has been declared
              a wilderness area. In addition to the opportunities
              for solitude such an area offers, the stream's pools
              and riffles are a popular place to fish, hike, swim,
              and birdwatch.The waters of the stream are stocked
              with trout. The lush riparian area beside its banks is
              alive with a full palette of songbirds. The desert
              beyond that oasis bristles with the highly adapted
              plants of the upper Sonoran Desert.
              Location: 45 miles south of Flagstaff on graveled
              Forest Roads in scenic rim country. Elevation is 3,800
              feet. Access: Drive south from Flagstaff on I-17 to
              the AZ Highway 179 exit. Leave the freeway here and
              drive 2 miles east on Forest Road 618 to the
              campground. FR 618 is graveled and suitable for sedans
              in most weather.
              Campground Season: All year at Beaver Creek
              Campground. Location: 45 miles south of Flagstaff on a
              graveled Forest Road in scenic rim country. Elevation
              is 3,800 feet.
              Attractions: Fishing, Camping, Waterplay, Hiking,
              Sightseeing, Wildlife viewing, Photography
              Facilities: 13 single unit campsites with tables, fire
              rings, cooking grills, Drinking water and vault
              toilets at, Beaver Creek Campground., Picnic area,
              Hiking trails, Wilderness Area
              Notes:
              Don't forget your sunscreen.
              No mechanical vehicles in Wilderness.
              For more information contact:
              Red Rock Ranger District, P.O. Box 20249, Sedona AZ
              86341, (928) 282-4119
              Please note:
              The Red Rock Ranger District is operating,
              temporarily, out of the "Old Beaver Creek Ranger
              Station" location (see map).

              2.) Long Canyon and the potluck

              Assembly point:

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0008.jpg

              trailhead:

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0009.jpg

              starting out:

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0009.jpg

              this looks posed:

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0010.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0011.jpg

              Map???? I though YOU brought the map?????

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0012.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0013.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0018b.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0020b.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0021b.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0023.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0024b.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0031.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0031.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0037b.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0039b.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0042b.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0043b.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0048b.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0049.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0053.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0054.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0058b.jpg

              A blaze so we will not lose the trail:

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0064b.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0065.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0071b.jpg

              On the way out:

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0077b.jpg

              Party time:

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0084.jpg

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0086.jpg

              Walt: last hike: 1990's: last potluck (picnic) early
              1990's

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0095b.jpg

              Our earliest still active member: Betty Sweigert---see
              her on our next two hikes:

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0097b.jpg

              Excitement:

              http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0098.jpg

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
            • Tina Paxton
              Message 6 of 9 , May 31, 2008
                I was looking forward to attending this event but finances are becoming an issue. About the only way I can attend is if there is a chance of carpooling with someone.

                Is there anyone planning on attending that could carpool? I'm in the Calabash area of NC. So, anyone in the Myrtle Beach/Conway/Wilmington/Florence or even the Columbia area available???

                Tina
                http://frecs.blogspot.com