Re: [Hammock Camping] SEHHA weekend

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28, 2008
      yep, i've been seeing a few pictures from the weekend.
      i can't believe you guys... having all that fun w/o me<G>. i sure hated missing it.

      someone asked me when your next one will be... june? ...tim

      karens62@... wrote:

      Once again, the April Southeast Hammock Hangers weekend at Hot Springs is in the past and, as always, Ed and I had a wonderful time. We counted over 30 hammockers or wannabes including 7 who couldn't stay but dropped by for a visit on either Saturday or Sunday. This is quite a change from the first few campouts where we had a handful of hangers at best. I think the first 3 campouts had 10 people total (counting Ed?three times and me twice).?My major dissapointment for the weekend was that, once agin, I lost the duck race. Some year my duck?will win!

      When Ed and I stopped for lunch on the way home yesterday, we kept commenting on how much we enjoy these weekends. Not only was the food great (I can't even begin to describe how yummy that cake was) but it never ceases to amaze us how a group of strangers can sit down around a campfire and have such?a pleasant?time sharing information, gossip and stories. We especially enjoy having families with their children join us. Watching kids eat marshmallows and invent endless adventures with just a long stick as a toy is one of the true joys of camping.

      Thanks again?to everyone who made the weekend so wonderful.

      Karen and Ed

    • Patrick
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2008
        Wanted to say how much fun AG and I had at Hot Springs. Thank you so
        much for being such gracious hosts. Tim, I hope you can make the next
        one.

        regards,
        Patrick

        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2008
          thanks. i'm hoping to make the one in june. ....tim

          Patrick <patrick@...> wrote: Wanted to say how much fun AG and I had at Hot Springs. Thank you so

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner

          Message 4 of 9 , May 4, 2008
            I've RSVP'ed and looking forward to meeting everyone.

            Question: are dogs allowed?

            Tina
            http://frecs.blogspot.com

            Message 5 of 9 , May 4, 2008
              yep, i can remember at least two dogs & one cat right off.
              1st time i've ever seen a cat walked on a leash<G>, but he seemed to like it just fine.
              hope we'll see you there. ...tim

              Tina Paxton <Frecs@...> wrote:
              I've RSVP'ed and looking forward to meeting everyone.

              Question: are dogs allowed?

              Tina
              http://frecs.blogspot.com

            • Blake Robert
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 2008
                Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 09:33:02 -0700 (PDT)
                From: "Robt. Blake" <flagstaffhikingclub@...>
                Add Mobile Alert
                Yahoo! DomainKeys has confirmed that this message was
                sent by yahoo.com. Learn more
                Subject: This weekend's hike/last Sat. + photographs
                To: "Flagstaff Club" <flagstaffhikingclub@...>
                1.) This Saturday's hike

                2.) Long Canyon + the potluck

                1.) This Saturday's hike

                Wet Beaver Creek: dayhike or backpack. Saturday---but,
                Friday, Mary Gavan, one of her NAU classmates, and I
                will hike about 100 yards past the end of the Bell
                Trail and find campsites and grab the best area
                available for you folks.

                Saturday, everyone else---dayhikers and
                backpackers---will assemble at the end of West Birch
                Street at 8 a.m. and come down and join us---driving
                42 miles south on I-17 to the Sedona exit but will
                turn left---back under I-17 and go a few miles east to
                the Beaver Creek Ranger Station turnoff and then into
                the parking lot for the Wet Beaver Creek trailhead.
                They will then hike 4 miles to the end of the trail
                and the most popular pool. Here, we will have both
                parties meet. After some cooling off in the pool, some
                will loaf around the pool---others will hike 1.5 miles
                beyond the trail's end to the prettiest half mile
                stretch. I bought a Casio Exilim specifically so that
                I would have a camera that fits into an otterbox.
                Waterproof to depth and nearly crushproof for most
                hiking circumstances. I have wanted to photograph this
                area for a long time---but, there are a few DOZEN
                stream crossings AND some deep swimming stretches.
                Wear boots you don't mind getting wet!!!!!!

                Don't try to contact me Friday---I will be gone
                getting the campsites. No email access after Thursday
                mid-afternoon.

                So far, Betty Sweigart---our oldest member---is going
                for a Wet Beaver dayhike. She is also planning to go
                on the car camp Les and I are leading the next
                weekend---with Les and I going a day early to grab the
                nicest campsites for you folks.

                See below: PS If anyone else wants to go down from
                Flagstaff Friday---we will ne another car. Mine is a
                two seater.

                Wet Beaver Creek
                This clear, cool brook remains pleasantly secluded in
                the deep red rock canyon it has cut into the southern
                rim of the Colorado Plateau. For much of its length,
                the land bordering Wet Beaver Creek has been declared
                a wilderness area. In addition to the opportunities
                for solitude such an area offers, the stream's pools
                and riffles are a popular place to fish, hike, swim,
                and birdwatch.The waters of the stream are stocked
                with trout. The lush riparian area beside its banks is
                alive with a full palette of songbirds. The desert
                beyond that oasis bristles with the highly adapted
                plants of the upper Sonoran Desert.
                Location: 45 miles south of Flagstaff on graveled
                Forest Roads in scenic rim country. Elevation is 3,800
                feet. Access: Drive south from Flagstaff on I-17 to
                the AZ Highway 179 exit. Leave the freeway here and
                drive 2 miles east on Forest Road 618 to the
                campground. FR 618 is graveled and suitable for sedans
                in most weather.
                Campground Season: All year at Beaver Creek
                Campground. Location: 45 miles south of Flagstaff on a
                graveled Forest Road in scenic rim country. Elevation
                is 3,800 feet.
                Attractions: Fishing, Camping, Waterplay, Hiking,
                Sightseeing, Wildlife viewing, Photography
                Facilities: 13 single unit campsites with tables, fire
                rings, cooking grills, Drinking water and vault
                toilets at, Beaver Creek Campground., Picnic area,
                Hiking trails, Wilderness Area
                Notes:
                Don't forget your sunscreen.
                No mechanical vehicles in Wilderness.
                For more information contact:
                Red Rock Ranger District, P.O. Box 20249, Sedona AZ
                86341, (928) 282-4119
                Please note:
                The Red Rock Ranger District is operating,
                temporarily, out of the "Old Beaver Creek Ranger
                Station" location (see map).

                2.) Long Canyon and the potluck

                Assembly point:

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0008.jpg

                trailhead:

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0009.jpg

                starting out:

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0009.jpg

                this looks posed:

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0010.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0011.jpg

                Map???? I though YOU brought the map?????

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0012.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0013.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0018b.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0020b.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0021b.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0023.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0024b.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0031.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0031.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0037b.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0039b.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0042b.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0043b.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0048b.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0049.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0053.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0054.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0058b.jpg

                A blaze so we will not lose the trail:

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0064b.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0065.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0071b.jpg

                On the way out:

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0077b.jpg

                Party time:

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0084.jpg

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0086.jpg

                Walt: last hike: 1990's: last potluck (picnic) early
                1990's

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0095b.jpg

                Our earliest still active member: Betty Sweigert---see
                her on our next two hikes:

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0097b.jpg

                Excitement:

                http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0098.jpg

                Be a better friend, newshound, and
              • Tina Paxton
                Message 7 of 9 , May 31, 2008
                  I was looking forward to attending this event but finances are becoming an issue. About the only way I can attend is if there is a chance of carpooling with someone.

                  Is there anyone planning on attending that could carpool? I'm in the Calabash area of NC. So, anyone in the Myrtle Beach/Conway/Wilmington/Florence or even the Columbia area available???

                  Tina
                  http://frecs.blogspot.com