Re: [Hammock Camping] SEHHA weekend

  • ij santiago
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28, 2008
      *Yes it was a wonderful weekend. I did not realized how many people came,
      as usual, Ed and Karen are wonderful host. Thank you for putting this
      together.
      I can not wait till the next time!

      I.J. (peanuts)*

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 28, 2008
        yep, i've been seeing a few pictures from the weekend.
        i can't believe you guys... having all that fun w/o me<G>. i sure hated missing it.

        someone asked me when your next one will be... june? ...tim

        karens62@... wrote:

[...]

      • Patrick
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2008
          Wanted to say how much fun AG and I had at Hot Springs. Thank you so
          much for being such gracious hosts. Tim, I hope you can make the next
          one.

          regards,
          Patrick

          Message 4 of 9 , May 4, 2008
            thanks. i'm hoping to make the one in june. ....tim

            Patrick <patrick@...> wrote: Wanted to say how much fun AG and I had at Hot Springs. Thank you so

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner

            Message 5 of 9 , May 4, 2008
              I've RSVP'ed and looking forward to meeting everyone.

              Question: are dogs allowed?

              Tina
              http://frecs.blogspot.com

              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2008
                yep, i can remember at least two dogs & one cat right off.
                1st time i've ever seen a cat walked on a leash<G>, but he seemed to like it just fine.
                hope we'll see you there. ...tim

                Tina Paxton <Frecs@...> wrote:
                I've RSVP'ed and looking forward to meeting everyone.

                Question: are dogs allowed?

                Tina
                http://frecs.blogspot.com

              • Blake Robert
                Message 7 of 9 , May 5, 2008
                  Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 09:33:02 -0700 (PDT)
                  From: "Robt. Blake" <flagstaffhikingclub@...>
                  Add Mobile Alert
                  Yahoo! DomainKeys has confirmed that this message was
                  sent by yahoo.com. Learn more
                  Subject: This weekend's hike/last Sat. + photographs
                  To: "Flagstaff Club" <flagstaffhikingclub@...>
                  1.) This Saturday's hike

                  2.) Long Canyon + the potluck

                  1.) This Saturday's hike

                  Wet Beaver Creek: dayhike or backpack. Saturday---but,
                  Friday, Mary Gavan, one of her NAU classmates, and I
                  will hike about 100 yards past the end of the Bell
                  Trail and find campsites and grab the best area
                  available for you folks.

                  Saturday, everyone else---dayhikers and
                  backpackers---will assemble at the end of West Birch
                  Street at 8 a.m. and come down and join us---driving
                  42 miles south on I-17 to the Sedona exit but will
                  turn left---back under I-17 and go a few miles east to
                  the Beaver Creek Ranger Station turnoff and then into
                  the parking lot for the Wet Beaver Creek trailhead.
                  They will then hike 4 miles to the end of the trail
                  and the most popular pool. Here, we will have both
                  parties meet. After some cooling off in the pool, some
                  will loaf around the pool---others will hike 1.5 miles
                  beyond the trail's end to the prettiest half mile
                  stretch. I bought a Casio Exilim specifically so that
                  I would have a camera that fits into an otterbox.
                  Waterproof to depth and nearly crushproof for most
                  hiking circumstances. I have wanted to photograph this
                  area for a long time---but, there are a few DOZEN
                  stream crossings AND some deep swimming stretches.
                  Wear boots you don't mind getting wet!!!!!!

                  Don't try to contact me Friday---I will be gone
                  getting the campsites. No email access after Thursday
                  mid-afternoon.

                  So far, Betty Sweigart---our oldest member---is going
                  for a Wet Beaver dayhike. She is also planning to go
                  on the car camp Les and I are leading the next
                  weekend---with Les and I going a day early to grab the
                  nicest campsites for you folks.

                  See below: PS If anyone else wants to go down from
                  Flagstaff Friday---we will ne another car. Mine is a
                  two seater.

                  Wet Beaver Creek
                  This clear, cool brook remains pleasantly secluded in
                  the deep red rock canyon it has cut into the southern
                  rim of the Colorado Plateau. For much of its length,
                  the land bordering Wet Beaver Creek has been declared
                  a wilderness area. In addition to the opportunities
                  for solitude such an area offers, the stream's pools
                  and riffles are a popular place to fish, hike, swim,
                  and birdwatch.The waters of the stream are stocked
                  with trout. The lush riparian area beside its banks is
                  alive with a full palette of songbirds. The desert
                  beyond that oasis bristles with the highly adapted
                  plants of the upper Sonoran Desert.
                  Location: 45 miles south of Flagstaff on graveled
                  Forest Roads in scenic rim country. Elevation is 3,800
                  feet. Access: Drive south from Flagstaff on I-17 to
                  the AZ Highway 179 exit. Leave the freeway here and
                  drive 2 miles east on Forest Road 618 to the
                  campground. FR 618 is graveled and suitable for sedans
                  in most weather.
                  Campground Season: All year at Beaver Creek
                  Campground. Location: 45 miles south of Flagstaff on a
                  graveled Forest Road in scenic rim country. Elevation
                  is 3,800 feet.
                  Attractions: Fishing, Camping, Waterplay, Hiking,
                  Sightseeing, Wildlife viewing, Photography
                  Facilities: 13 single unit campsites with tables, fire
                  rings, cooking grills, Drinking water and vault
                  toilets at, Beaver Creek Campground., Picnic area,
                  Hiking trails, Wilderness Area
                  Notes:
                  Don't forget your sunscreen.
                  No mechanical vehicles in Wilderness.
                  For more information contact:
                  Red Rock Ranger District, P.O. Box 20249, Sedona AZ
                  86341, (928) 282-4119
                  Please note:
                  The Red Rock Ranger District is operating,
                  temporarily, out of the "Old Beaver Creek Ranger
                  Station" location (see map).

                  2.) Long Canyon and the potluck

                  Assembly point:

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0008.jpg

                  trailhead:

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0009.jpg

                  starting out:

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0009.jpg

                  this looks posed:

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0010.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0011.jpg

                  Map???? I though YOU brought the map?????

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0012.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0013.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0018b.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0020b.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0021b.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0023.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0024b.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0031.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0031.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0037b.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0039b.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0042b.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0043b.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0048b.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0049.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0053.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0054.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0058b.jpg

                  A blaze so we will not lose the trail:

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0064b.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0065.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0071b.jpg

                  On the way out:

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0077b.jpg

                  Party time:

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0084.jpg

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0086.jpg

                  Walt: last hike: 1990's: last potluck (picnic) early
                  1990's

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0095b.jpg

                  Our earliest still active member: Betty Sweigert---see
                  her on our next two hikes:

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0097b.jpg

                  Excitement:

                  http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0098.jpg

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and
                • Tina Paxton
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 31, 2008
                    I was looking forward to attending this event but finances are becoming an issue. About the only way I can attend is if there is a chance of carpooling with someone.

                    Is there anyone planning on attending that could carpool? I'm in the Calabash area of NC. So, anyone in the Myrtle Beach/Conway/Wilmington/Florence or even the Columbia area available???

                    Tina
                    http://frecs.blogspot.com