SEHHA weekend

  • karens62@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28, 2008
      Once again, the April Southeast Hammock Hangers weekend at Hot Springs is in the past and, as always, Ed and I had a wonderful time. We counted over 30 hammockers or wannabes including 7 who couldn't stay but dropped by for a visit on either Saturday or Sunday. This is quite a change from the first few campouts where we had a handful of hangers at best. I think the first 3 campouts had 10 people total (counting Ed?three times and me twice).?My major dissapointment for the weekend was that, once agin, I lost the duck race. Some year my duck?will win!

      When Ed and I stopped for lunch on the way home yesterday, we kept commenting on how much we enjoy these weekends. Not only was the food great (I can't even begin to describe how yummy that cake was) but it never ceases to amaze us how a group of strangers can sit down around a campfire and have such?a pleasant?time sharing information, gossip and stories. We especially enjoy having families with their children join us. Watching kids eat marshmallows and invent endless adventures with just a long stick as a toy is one of the true joys of camping.

      Thanks again?to everyone who made the weekend so wonderful.

      Karen and Ed

    • ij santiago
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 28, 2008
        *Yes it was a wonderful weekend. I did not realized how many people came,
        as usual, Ed and Karen are wonderful host. Thank you for putting this
        together.
        I can not wait till the next time!

        I.J. (peanuts)*

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 28, 2008
          yep, i've been seeing a few pictures from the weekend.
          i can't believe you guys... having all that fun w/o me<G>. i sure hated missing it.

          someone asked me when your next one will be... june? ...tim

          karens62@... wrote:

[...]

        • Patrick
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3 8:28 PM
            Wanted to say how much fun AG and I had at Hot Springs. Thank you so
            much for being such gracious hosts. Tim, I hope you can make the next
            one.

            regards,
            Patrick

            Message 5 of 9 , May 4 4:06 AM
              thanks. i'm hoping to make the one in june. ....tim

              Patrick <patrick@...> wrote: Wanted to say how much fun AG and I had at Hot Springs. Thank you so

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner

              Message 6 of 9 , May 4 5:24 AM
                I've RSVP'ed and looking forward to meeting everyone.

                Question: are dogs allowed?

                Tina
                http://frecs.blogspot.com

                Message 7 of 9 , May 4 5:53 AM
                  yep, i can remember at least two dogs & one cat right off.
                  1st time i've ever seen a cat walked on a leash<G>, but he seemed to like it just fine.
                  hope we'll see you there. ...tim

                  Tina Paxton <Frecs@...> wrote:
                  I've RSVP'ed and looking forward to meeting everyone.

                  Question: are dogs allowed?

                  Tina
                  http://frecs.blogspot.com

                • Blake Robert
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 5 9:34 AM
                    Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 09:33:02 -0700 (PDT)
                    From: "Robt. Blake" <flagstaffhikingclub@...>
                    Add Mobile Alert
                    Yahoo! DomainKeys has confirmed that this message was
                    sent by yahoo.com. Learn more
                    Subject: This weekend's hike/last Sat. + photographs
                    To: "Flagstaff Club" <flagstaffhikingclub@...>
                    1.) This Saturday's hike

                    2.) Long Canyon + the potluck

                    1.) This Saturday's hike

                    Wet Beaver Creek: dayhike or backpack. Saturday---but,
                    Friday, Mary Gavan, one of her NAU classmates, and I
                    will hike about 100 yards past the end of the Bell
                    Trail and find campsites and grab the best area
                    available for you folks.

                    Saturday, everyone else---dayhikers and
                    backpackers---will assemble at the end of West Birch
                    Street at 8 a.m. and come down and join us---driving
                    42 miles south on I-17 to the Sedona exit but will
                    turn left---back under I-17 and go a few miles east to
                    the Beaver Creek Ranger Station turnoff and then into
                    the parking lot for the Wet Beaver Creek trailhead.
                    They will then hike 4 miles to the end of the trail
                    and the most popular pool. Here, we will have both
                    parties meet. After some cooling off in the pool, some
                    will loaf around the pool---others will hike 1.5 miles
                    beyond the trail's end to the prettiest half mile
                    stretch. I bought a Casio Exilim specifically so that
                    I would have a camera that fits into an otterbox.
                    Waterproof to depth and nearly crushproof for most
                    hiking circumstances. I have wanted to photograph this
                    area for a long time---but, there are a few DOZEN
                    stream crossings AND some deep swimming stretches.
                    Wear boots you don't mind getting wet!!!!!!

                    Don't try to contact me Friday---I will be gone
                    getting the campsites. No email access after Thursday
                    mid-afternoon.

                    So far, Betty Sweigart---our oldest member---is going
                    for a Wet Beaver dayhike. She is also planning to go
                    on the car camp Les and I are leading the next
                    weekend---with Les and I going a day early to grab the
                    nicest campsites for you folks.

                    See below: PS If anyone else wants to go down from
                    Flagstaff Friday---we will ne another car. Mine is a
                    two seater.

                    Wet Beaver Creek
                    This clear, cool brook remains pleasantly secluded in
                    the deep red rock canyon it has cut into the southern
                    rim of the Colorado Plateau. For much of its length,
                    the land bordering Wet Beaver Creek has been declared
                    a wilderness area. In addition to the opportunities
                    for solitude such an area offers, the stream's pools
                    and riffles are a popular place to fish, hike, swim,
                    and birdwatch.The waters of the stream are stocked
                    with trout. The lush riparian area beside its banks is
                    alive with a full palette of songbirds. The desert
                    beyond that oasis bristles with the highly adapted
                    plants of the upper Sonoran Desert.
                    Location: 45 miles south of Flagstaff on graveled
                    Forest Roads in scenic rim country. Elevation is 3,800
                    feet. Access: Drive south from Flagstaff on I-17 to
                    the AZ Highway 179 exit. Leave the freeway here and
                    drive 2 miles east on Forest Road 618 to the
                    campground. FR 618 is graveled and suitable for sedans
                    in most weather.
                    Campground Season: All year at Beaver Creek
                    Campground. Location: 45 miles south of Flagstaff on a
                    graveled Forest Road in scenic rim country. Elevation
                    is 3,800 feet.
                    Attractions: Fishing, Camping, Waterplay, Hiking,
                    Sightseeing, Wildlife viewing, Photography
                    Facilities: 13 single unit campsites with tables, fire
                    rings, cooking grills, Drinking water and vault
                    toilets at, Beaver Creek Campground., Picnic area,
                    Hiking trails, Wilderness Area
                    Notes:
                    Don't forget your sunscreen.
                    No mechanical vehicles in Wilderness.
                    For more information contact:
                    Red Rock Ranger District, P.O. Box 20249, Sedona AZ
                    86341, (928) 282-4119
                    Please note:
                    The Red Rock Ranger District is operating,
                    temporarily, out of the "Old Beaver Creek Ranger
                    Station" location (see map).

                    2.) Long Canyon and the potluck

                    Assembly point:

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0008.jpg

                    trailhead:

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0009.jpg

                    starting out:

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0009.jpg

                    this looks posed:

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0010.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0011.jpg

                    Map???? I though YOU brought the map?????

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0012.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0013.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0018b.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0020b.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0021b.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0023.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0024b.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0031.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0031.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0037b.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0039b.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0042b.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0043b.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0048b.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0049.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0053.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0054.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0058b.jpg

                    A blaze so we will not lose the trail:

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0064b.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0065.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0071b.jpg

                    On the way out:

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0077b.jpg

                    Party time:

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0084.jpg

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0086.jpg

                    Walt: last hike: 1990's: last potluck (picnic) early
                    1990's

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0095b.jpg

                    Our earliest still active member: Betty Sweigert---see
                    her on our next two hikes:

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0097b.jpg

                    Excitement:

                    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/flagstaffhikingclub/CIMG0098.jpg

                    Be a better friend, newshound, and
                  • Tina Paxton
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 31 5:53 AM
                      I was looking forward to attending this event but finances are becoming an issue. About the only way I can attend is if there is a chance of carpooling with someone.

                      Is there anyone planning on attending that could carpool? I'm in the Calabash area of NC. So, anyone in the Myrtle Beach/Conway/Wilmington/Florence or even the Columbia area available???

                      Tina
                      http://frecs.blogspot.com