Re: [Hammock Camping] Making my own hammock

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27, 2008
      Mark, one option would be to buy Ed Speer's book. great source of information.
      and ed may have instructions on his web site as well. just google Speer Hammocks.
      Ed also has links on his site to a couple other great sources, like just jeff's "to the woods", & rick's site, "imrisk". two more great resources.
      making a hammock is easy. just find a suitable fabric (3.5 to 4 yards), determine the length you want, hem the edges, & add the support straps.

      oh yeah, Ed also sells DIY hammock kits. ...tim

      Mark Dixon <mark_a_dixon@...> wrote:

      I want to have a go at making my own hammock for camping. I've seen them made from a single piece of fabric.

      Does anyone have a pattern for making hammocks and all of the materials needed.

      Plus how to secure it to the tree etc.

      Mark

    • Mark Bayern
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2008
        > Does anyone have a pattern for making hammocks and all of the materials needed.

        Ed Speer has a book with some answers to those questions:

        <http://www.hammockcamping.com/>

        Risk (a/k/a Rick Allnutt) chronicles his experiments with hammocks on
        his website:
        <http://www.imrisk.com>

        If you look partway down the page you'll see a list of hammock
        resources. One place to start is with his 'test hammock'
        <http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm>

        Both of these guys can be found on this forum --(Ed is the 'owner' of
        this mailing list.)

        >"Plus how to secure it to the tree etc.

        Two things come to mind -- #1-don't hurt the tree, #2-Don't get hurt
        if the hammock or suspension method fails. <smile>

        Mark
      • Tom Frazier
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27, 2008
          Most single piece hammocks are made of 1.9 oz. ripstop breathable nylon (no
          dwr/silicone coatings). They are just a large square; usually you just buy
          three yards or more, depending upon how long you want your hammock (most are
          9'ft. to 10'ft long, nowadays), hem the edges up, and attach the support
          rope at either ends (the one you tie to the trees).

          That's it in a nutshell, though you can get as simple or as complicated as
          you wish. I've read on the hammock forums (www.hammockforums.net <--you
          should find lots of answers here; if you haven't already, check it out!)
          where someone cut his initial hammock pattern in an asym design like the
          Hennessey Hammock Asym., but most folks just make one cut on the fabric for
          the length and just hem all around the edges to prevent fraying.

          Then they get creative on attaching the bugnet, whether it be a netting
          "sock" that they pull over the hammock (perhaps with a zipper in the middle
          for easy exit/entrance), or they do what Ed Speer advises and use velcro to
          attach the netting, or sew the netting to the hammock body and install a
          zipper on one side, like what Claytor does. I'm going to do a mix between a
          Claytor hammock and a Speer hammock (attempt to, anyways) and sew on velcro
          to three sides of the hammock and a two-way, separating zipper on the
          entrance/exit side for ease of use. That way, I can take the entire thing
          off if I were so inclined (warm summer days at high altitudes and no bugs to
          bother me), but still retain a zipper closure on the one side so I don't
          have to mess with trying to align velcro on all sides every time I try to
          get in or out of the thing.

          As other folks have already mentioned, Ed Speer sells kits on his website
          (www.speerhammocks.com), and he also sells the raw materials if you want to
          attempt it from scratch. If you order at least $100 worth of stuff from him,
          you'll also receive his hammock camping book, which has directions on how to
          make your hammock start to finish. You could also check out
          www.hammockforums.net for additional answers (with pictures) to your "how to
          hang" questions.