Hammocking on AT from Susquehana river to pen mar

  • bww00amdahl
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2003
      Hi,

      Im new to the hammock group and am planning an AT section hike from
      the Susquehana river to Pen Mar in PA. I would like to get info about
      hammocking the trip from someone who has done this section in a
      hammock. Hey , any other additional infor would be welcome.

      Thanks
      bryan Webb
      Trussville Alabama
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28, 2003
        Message
        Welcome Bryan. I've hiked that section of the AT several times with my hammock--you should have no problems whatsoever as there are thousands of places suitable for a hammock.  I remember even setting up my hammock along the RR tracks between PenMar and town--it was a small wooded spot admist the otherwise developed residential area, but I was isolated and out of sight. When night time caught me before I returned from a resupply run to town, I simply set up camp right on the spot.  Otherwise, the trial has plenty of woods suitable for hammocks--it only takes the wherewithall to look for isolated sopts and the williness to camp alone.  Even camping at or near the trail shelters would be possible, again just look for the right trees when it's time to camp. There are some public lands like state parks/forests that may have special restrictions on camping--so knowing where you are is important. Of course, avoiding private land is also critical.  Also the trail across the developed Cumberland Valley north of Boiling Springs is closed to camping of any knid--so be sure to do this 13-mile section in a single day; there are trail shelters on each end of this section, while hikers can stay in a couple of private homes in Boiling Springs. The ATC regional center in Boiling Springs is right on the trail and they can help direct you to a suitable home....Ed

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28, 2003
          Hi Bryan

          Welcome to the list. Looking at mapquest you are about 88 miles or
          2 hrs driving from me. Maybe we can meet one day. Good luck with
          the section hike. Listen to Ed, He has thru hiked the At once,
          nearly twice plus lots of other sections again.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bww00amdahl"
          <bww00amdahl@y...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Im new to the hammock group and am planning an AT section hike
          from
          > the Susquehana river to Pen Mar in PA. I would like to get info
          about
          > hammocking the trip from someone who has done this section in a
          > hammock. Hey , any other additional infor would be welcome.
          >

          > Thanks
          > bryan Webb
          > Trussville Alabama
        • bww00amdahl
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 29, 2003
            Ed,

            Thanks for the information. I really appreciate you taking the time
            to answer my post.

            Bryan Webb
            Trussville Alabama

            > Welcome Bryan. I've hiked that section of the AT several times with
            my
            > hammock--you should have no problems whatsoever as there are
            thousands
            > of places suitable for a hammock. I remember even setting up my
            hammock
            > along the RR tracks between PenMar and town--it was a small wooded
            spot
            > admist the otherwise developed residential area, but I was isolated
            and
            > out of sight. When night time caught me before I returned from a
            > resupply run to town, I simply set up camp right on the spot.
            > Otherwise, the trial has plenty of woods suitable for hammocks--it
            only
            > takes the wherewithall to look for isolated sopts and the williness
            > camp alone. Even camping at or near the trail shelters would be
            > possible, again just look for the right trees when it's time to
            camp.
            > There are some public lands like state parks/forests that may have
            > special restrictions on camping--so knowing where you are is
            important.
            > Of course, avoiding private land is also critical. Also the trail
            > across the developed Cumberland Valley north of Boiling Springs is
            > closed to camping of any knid--so be sure to do this 13-mile
            section in
            > a single day; there are trail shelters on each end of this section,
            > while hikers can stay in a couple of private homes in Boiling
            Springs.
            > The ATC regional center in Boiling Springs is right on the trail and
            > they can help direct you to a suitable home....Ed

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
            05