Making my own hammock

  • Mark Dixon
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2008
      I want to have a go at making my own hammock for camping. I've seen them made from a single piece of fabric.

      Does anyone have a pattern for making hammocks and all of the materials needed.

      Plus how to secure it to the tree etc.

      Mark
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2008
        Mark, one option would be to buy Ed Speer's book. great source of information.
        and ed may have instructions on his web site as well. just google Speer Hammocks.
        Ed also has links on his site to a couple other great sources, like just jeff's "to the woods", & rick's site, "imrisk". two more great resources.
        making a hammock is easy. just find a suitable fabric (3.5 to 4 yards), determine the length you want, hem the edges, & add the support straps.

        oh yeah, Ed also sells DIY hammock kits. ...tim

        Mark Dixon <mark_a_dixon@...> wrote:

        I want to have a go at making my own hammock for camping. I've seen them made from a single piece of fabric.

        Does anyone have a pattern for making hammocks and all of the materials needed.

        Plus how to secure it to the tree etc.

        Mark

      • Mark Bayern
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27, 2008
          > Does anyone have a pattern for making hammocks and all of the materials needed.

          Ed Speer has a book with some answers to those questions:

          <http://www.hammockcamping.com/>

          Risk (a/k/a Rick Allnutt) chronicles his experiments with hammocks on
          his website:
          <http://www.imrisk.com>

          If you look partway down the page you'll see a list of hammock
          resources. One place to start is with his 'test hammock'
          <http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm>

          Both of these guys can be found on this forum --(Ed is the 'owner' of
          this mailing list.)

          >"Plus how to secure it to the tree etc.

          Two things come to mind -- #1-don't hurt the tree, #2-Don't get hurt
          if the hammock or suspension method fails. <smile>

          Mark
        • Tom Frazier
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 27, 2008
            Most single piece hammocks are made of 1.9 oz. ripstop breathable nylon (no
            dwr/silicone coatings). They are just a large square; usually you just buy
            three yards or more, depending upon how long you want your hammock (most are
            9'ft. to 10'ft long, nowadays), hem the edges up, and attach the support
            rope at either ends (the one you tie to the trees).

            That's it in a nutshell, though you can get as simple or as complicated as
            you wish. I've read on the hammock forums (www.hammockforums.net <--you
            should find lots of answers here; if you haven't already, check it out!)
            where someone cut his initial hammock pattern in an asym design like the
            Hennessey Hammock Asym., but most folks just make one cut on the fabric for
            the length and just hem all around the edges to prevent fraying.

            Then they get creative on attaching the bugnet, whether it be a netting
            "sock" that they pull over the hammock (perhaps with a zipper in the middle
            for easy exit/entrance), or they do what Ed Speer advises and use velcro to
            attach the netting, or sew the netting to the hammock body and install a
            zipper on one side, like what Claytor does. I'm going to do a mix between a
            Claytor hammock and a Speer hammock (attempt to, anyways) and sew on velcro
            to three sides of the hammock and a two-way, separating zipper on the
            entrance/exit side for ease of use. That way, I can take the entire thing
            off if I were so inclined (warm summer days at high altitudes and no bugs to
            bother me), but still retain a zipper closure on the one side so I don't
            have to mess with trying to align velcro on all sides every time I try to
            get in or out of the thing.

            As other folks have already mentioned, Ed Speer sells kits on his website
            (www.speerhammocks.com), and he also sells the raw materials if you want to
            attempt it from scratch. If you order at least $100 worth of stuff from him,
            you'll also receive his hammock camping book, which has directions on how to
            make your hammock start to finish. You could also check out
            www.hammockforums.net for additional answers (with pictures) to your "how to
            hang" questions.