Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Knots to use for hammock camping

  • Arye P. R.
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 24, 2008
      Try this

      <http://www.outdooridiots.com/features/200606/pitchingatarp/pitchingatarp4.asp>

      Sapere Aude,

      Arye P. Rubenstein

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: sjedwardson <sam.edwardson@...>
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 5:20:07 PM
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Knots to use for hammock camping

      Thanks for the replies. Ive managed to find the knot that I want to
      tie, and annoyingly enough it was in a book I own by Ray Mears. He
      simply names it as a tarp taut hitch. Whats even more annoying is
      that I still cannot seem to master this from the simple drawings on
      the page! Does anyone know if this knot has another name and that I
      can find another instruction on how to tie it. Or even if anyone
      knows this knot and can instruct me on how to tie it i would be
      greatly appreciative. The knot is in Ray Mears Essential Bushcraft,
      pg 137.

      Once again thanks for all your help

      Sam

      --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, Cara Lin Bridgman
      <cara.lin@.. .> wrote:

      > Sorry--I typed in too many halves...
      >
      > Two half-hitches.
      >
      > So, mmrbyer's link is what you need:
      > <http://iwillknot. com/two_half- hitches/>.
      >
      > CL
      >
      > sjedwardson wrote:
      > > Thanks for the reply. Just one final question. Whats a two half half
      > > hitch?
      > >
      > > Thanks again
      > >
      > > sam
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, Cara Lin Bridgman
      > > <cara.lin@> wrote:
      > >> If you wrap the rope around the tree clockwise, loop it around
      the rope
      > >> leading to the hammock and wrap around the tree
      counter-clockwise, and
      > >> loop around the rope and back around the tree clockwise--anyway,
      if you
      > >> do this 2-3 times, all you need to finish off are two half half
      hitches.

      > >> You'll enjoy this site: <http://www.animated knots.com/>.

    • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 24, 2008
        I don't have the book, but perhaps you mean a taut-line hitch? It's
        shown on http://www.animatedknots.com/

        I think of it this way.

        Pass the line around the tree and bring it back so the free end crosses
        over the line.

        Now you're going to wrap the free end around the line three times, all
        in the same direction.

        But the first two wraps have to happen behind the crossover point (i.e.
        closer to the tree than the tarp).

        The third wrap happens in front of the crossover point, and the free end
        gets tucked inside this last wrap.

        Bear

      • pure mahem
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 24, 2008
          If its the one I've seen him tie on his videos he uses a siberian hitch and a truckers hitch. You should have good luck with a search on those knots.

          <cara.lin@.. .> wrote:

          > Sorry--I typed in too many halves...
          >
          > Two half-hitches.
          >
          > So, mmrbyer's link is what you need:
          > <http://iwillknot. com/two_half- hitches/>.
          >
          > CL
          >
          > sjedwardson wrote:
          > > Thanks for the reply. Just one final question. Whats a two half half
          > > hitch?
          > >
          > > Thanks again
          > >
          > > sam
          > >
          > > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, Cara Lin Bridgman
          > > <cara.lin@> wrote:
          > >> If you wrap the rope around the tree clockwise, loop it around
          the rope
          > >> leading to the hammock and wrap around the tree
          counter-clockwise, and
          > >> loop around the rope and back around the tree clockwise--anyway,
          if you
          > >> do this 2-3 times, all you need to finish off are two half half
          hitches.

          > >> You'll enjoy this site: <http://www.animated knots.com/>.

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 26, 2008
            Add more wraps 'behind the crossover point' if the rope tends to slip.
            I usually do 4-5, then I tuck the free end in as a quick release.

            On my Hennessey Hammock, with it's slick rope, I wrap around the tree,
            back through the alpine butterfly loop and then tie the taunt-line
            hitch. This holds better, slips less, and is easier to undo.

            CL