Neat Sheet as bottom insulator

  • Jamie
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2003
      Hello all,

      I'm sort of new to the group. New in that I think this is my first
      post, but not new in that I've been reading through the old posts
      trying to gather knowledge for the past month or so.

      I'm a new hammocker, I've only used my once so far, but it was great
      other than being a bit cold. Ahhh, the same old story. In fact,
      this issue was one of my main reasons for joining this group. I have
      learned alot, thank you all for your inspiring trial and errors!

      I was thinking about the Neat Sheet, I think Shane mentioned it
      before when talking about his pad. I own a couple of these for
      covering the car seats and playing at the park. Has anyone tried one
      as a bottom insulator (like the GI Taco)? I know they are
      waterproof, but are they wind proof also? IF so, since they only
      weigh 7 oz, it seems like a light option.

      Thanks,
      Jamie in AZ
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28, 2003
        Hi Jamie

        I have not seen a neat sheet yet, though I hear they are at Wal-
        Mart. So maybe someone else will answer your question better. From
        what I hear, the neat sheet is sort of a disposable beach, table,
        yard cloth with 2 layers. This is a good thing as it would help
        create a bit of dead air space. That is the key to any insulation.
        I read somewhere that steel wool would be as effective as down if it
        prevented air movement as well. Not that it does but that was to
        make a point. This is why a closed cell pad is warmer than an open
        cell pad. The closed cell prevents air movement better. So, in the
        end, if you can get the neat sheet to conform to the shape under
        your hammock it will be a pretty good insulator but not for really
        cold weather. Maybe good down to about 50 degrees. Much colder and
        you will need something like a foam pad or a quilted synthetic or
        down insulation which can be kept from getting squished.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I'm sort of new to the group. New in that I think this is my
        first
        > post, but not new in that I've been reading through the old posts
        > trying to gather knowledge for the past month or so.
        >
        > I'm a new hammocker, I've only used my once so far, but it was
        great
        > other than being a bit cold. Ahhh, the same old story. In fact,
        > this issue was one of my main reasons for joining this group. I
        have
        > learned alot, thank you all for your inspiring trial and errors!
        >
        > I was thinking about the Neat Sheet, I think Shane mentioned it
        > before when talking about his pad. I own a couple of these for
        > covering the car seats and playing at the park. Has anyone tried
        one
        > as a bottom insulator (like the GI Taco)? I know they are
        > waterproof, but are they wind proof also? IF so, since they only
        > weigh 7 oz, it seems like a light option.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jamie in AZ
      • Shane Steinkamp
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 28, 2003
          > I was thinking about the Neat Sheet, I think Shane
          > mentioned it before when talking about his pad. I own a
          > couple of these for covering the car seats and playing at
          > the park. Has anyone tried one as a bottom insulator
          > (like the GI Taco)? I know they are waterproof, but are
          > they wind proof also? IF so, since they only
          > weigh 7 oz, it seems like a light option.

          They would work fine in that role, since they are windproof. They're a
          semi-vapor barrier too. In really cold weather, though, you'd want to have
          something a little more - like the Garlington insulator. The Neat Sheet
          would allow you to do this too.

          Shane