Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Using ascenders with a hammock

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
      Hence the reason why many will even forgoe the use of the cheap carabiners you can buy at the hardware stores, and use the "climbing rated" carabiners (carabiners that are supposed to support "life", so you know they'll work for hanging hammocks!) to support the ends instead.

      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
        With the figure 9's, using the right size rope is critical to getting a good grab, without getting your rope eaten up. The teeth aren't really sharp (they shouldn't be, anyways) and shouldn't really fray the rope to pieces if the rope is thick enough. Sometimes, letting the rope slide through the figure 9 can cause some fraying, but you can prevent this by tugging on the ends (just as you would if you use ropes to hang your hammock) to make sure they dont' slip out the other direction.

        I'm using these for my big tarp with no problems at all.

        On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

        > Load limit on them is 150 pounds.
        >
        > I would not hang in a hammock with these.
        >
        > As has been commented before: using anything rated at less than about
        > 600 pounds is prone to failure.
        >
        > Risk

        They also chew up the rope with their teeth, I got real excited when I saw
        them but not so much now I've used them (not on a hammock)

        Has your experince been different?

        Ralph

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
          thanks, i'll try them again

          Ralph

          On 4/24/08, Tom Frazier <wildewudu@...> wrote:

          > With the figure 9's, using the right size rope is critical to getting a
          > good grab, without getting your rope eaten up. The teeth aren't really sharp
          > (they shouldn't be, anyways) and shouldn't really fray the rope to pieces if
          > the rope is thick enough. Sometimes, letting the rope slide through the
          > figure 9 can cause some fraying, but you can prevent this by tugging on the
          > ends (just as you would if you use ropes to hang your hammock) to make sure
          > they dont' slip out the other direction.
          >
          > I'm using these for my big tarp with no problems at all.

        • Richard Perlman
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
            Hike your own hike!

            I used to buy every new gadget. I was the consummate gadgeteer! My
            pack was 50 pounds. If I could have
            found a larger one it would have been 75.

            Then I found the simplicity of bringing as little and as light as
            possible. Sometimes, too little. It makes me think more and appreciate
            all the things I leave at home which I choose to escape from. For me,
            the Wilderness/Nature is the ultimate truth - no lies.

            I'm with Risk. A "slippery" taught line hitch weighs nothing, you can't
            loose it or break it.

            Hike your own hike!

            Rich