Re: Using ascenders with a hammock

  • gordon_human
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 24 5:40 AM
      Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some (dirt
      cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the hammock
      for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in anger
      yet....

      http://www.rei.com/product/765517

      Gordon
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 24 6:02 AM
        Load limit on them is 150 pounds.

        I would not hang in a hammock with these.

        As has been commented before: using anything rated at less than about
        600 pounds is prone to failure.

        Risk

        gordon_human wrote:
        > Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some (dirt
        > cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the hammock
        > for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in anger
        > yet....
        >

        > http://www.rei.com/product/765517
        >
        > Gordon

      • Billy Chard
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 24 6:09 AM
          Thanks for the link for the knot. Ill check it out.

          You def have me there in weight my rig comes in at 72 oz. I guess It
          may sound like a lot compared with your set up

          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 24 7:02 AM

            On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

            > Load limit on them is 150 pounds.
            >
            > I would not hang in a hammock with these.
            >
            > As has been commented before: using anything rated at less than about
            > 600 pounds is prone to failure.
            >
            > Risk

            They also chew up the rope with their teeth, I got real excited when I saw
            them but not so much now I've used them (not on a hammock)

            Has your experince been different?

            Ralph

          • thomassen_ralph
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 24 8:22 AM
              <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
              I told my boys we would get some fancy attachments for our hammocks
              the day after they could tie all the knots they need to hang their
              hammock with their eyes closed!!
              Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
              Troop 14 Griffin, Ga
              > gordon_human wrote:
              > > Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some
              (dirt
              > > cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the
              hammock
              > > for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in
              anger
              > > yet....
              > >

              > > http://www.rei.com/product/765517
              > >
              > > Gordon
              >

              > On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Load limit on them is 150 pounds.
              > >
              > > I would not hang in a hammock with these.
              > >
              > > As has been commented before: using anything rated at less than
              about
              > > 600 pounds is prone to failure.
              > >
              > > Risk
              >

              > They also chew up the rope with their teeth, I got real excited
              when I saw
              > them but not so much now I've used them (not on a hammock)
              >
              > Has your experince been different?
              >
              > Ralph

            • Tom Frazier
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 24 4:49 PM
                Some folks have said that they've used these with success, but I'm personally a leery of them since their weight limit is 150 pounds and the pressure at each end of the hammock can reach as much as 600 pounds (your weight, plus the extra weight you generate when you shift your weight around).

                These are more designed for static loads. I use the little figure 9's for tarp tie outs and they've worked great for that purpose thus far. I just tie in a few half hitches on the ridgeline figure 9's as a just-in-case measure.

                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 24 4:50 PM
                  Hence the reason why many will even forgoe the use of the cheap carabiners you can buy at the hardware stores, and use the "climbing rated" carabiners (carabiners that are supposed to support "life", so you know they'll work for hanging hammocks!) to support the ends instead.

                  gordon_human wrote:
                  > Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some (dirt
                  > cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the hammock
                  > for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in anger
                  > yet....
                  >

                  > http://www.rei.com/product/765517
                  >
                  > Gordon

                • Tom Frazier
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 24 4:53 PM
                    With the figure 9's, using the right size rope is critical to getting a good grab, without getting your rope eaten up. The teeth aren't really sharp (they shouldn't be, anyways) and shouldn't really fray the rope to pieces if the rope is thick enough. Sometimes, letting the rope slide through the figure 9 can cause some fraying, but you can prevent this by tugging on the ends (just as you would if you use ropes to hang your hammock) to make sure they dont' slip out the other direction.

                    I'm using these for my big tarp with no problems at all.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 24 7:30 PM
                      thanks, i'll try them again

                      Ralph

                      On 4/24/08, Tom Frazier <wildewudu@...> wrote:

                      > With the figure 9's, using the right size rope is critical to getting a
                      > good grab, without getting your rope eaten up. The teeth aren't really sharp
                      > (they shouldn't be, anyways) and shouldn't really fray the rope to pieces if
                      > the rope is thick enough. Sometimes, letting the rope slide through the
                      > figure 9 can cause some fraying, but you can prevent this by tugging on the
                      > ends (just as you would if you use ropes to hang your hammock) to make sure
                      > they dont' slip out the other direction.
                      >
                      > I'm using these for my big tarp with no problems at all.

                    • Richard Perlman
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 24 7:47 PM
                        Hike your own hike!

                        I used to buy every new gadget. I was the consummate gadgeteer! My
                        pack was 50 pounds. If I could have
                        found a larger one it would have been 75.

                        Then I found the simplicity of bringing as little and as light as
                        possible. Sometimes, too little. It makes me think more and appreciate
                        all the things I leave at home which I choose to escape from. For me,
                        the Wilderness/Nature is the ultimate truth - no lies.

                        I'm with Risk. A "slippery" taught line hitch weighs nothing, you can't
                        loose it or break it.

                        Hike your own hike!

                        Rich