Re: [Hammock Camping] Using ascenders with a hammock

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
      You can find directions for an Alpine Butterfly here
      <http://www.animatedknots.com/alpinebutterfly/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com#>.

      It's very simple, but effective.

      12 ounces is a LOT of rope and is about a third of the weight of my
      hammock, rope, tree-huggers, tarp, biners, pegs, etc. It all weighs in
      at about 37 oz. JRB nest and no-sniveler are an additional 40 ounces.

      CL

      Billy Chard wrote:
      > I Must add here that I am not to knowledgeable about knots. There for
      > the 12 oz that the slap strap weights in at, and the ease of use, make
      > it benifitial to me. I do not have the experience with the HH Tree
      > Huggers, just the ENO slap straps. And as for them after 3 years or so
      > if use they haven't frayed yet.
      >
      > What Is an Alpine butterfly loop?
      >
      > Billy

      please note my mailing address:
      Cara Lin Bridgman

      P.O. Box 013 Shinjhuang cara.lin@...
      Longjing Township http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
      Taichung County 43499
      Taiwan Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
    • gordon_human
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
        Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some (dirt
        cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the hammock
        for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in anger
        yet....

        http://www.rei.com/product/765517

        Gordon
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
          Load limit on them is 150 pounds.

          I would not hang in a hammock with these.

          As has been commented before: using anything rated at less than about
          600 pounds is prone to failure.

          Risk

          gordon_human wrote:
          > Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some (dirt
          > cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the hammock
          > for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in anger
          > yet....
          >

          > http://www.rei.com/product/765517
          >
          > Gordon

        • Billy Chard
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
            Thanks for the link for the knot. Ill check it out.

            You def have me there in weight my rig comes in at 72 oz. I guess It
            may sound like a lot compared with your set up

            Billy Chard wrote:
            > I Must add here that I am not to knowledgeable about knots. There for
            > the 12 oz that the slap strap weights in at, and the ease of use, make
            > it benifitial to me. I do not have the experience with the HH Tree
            > Huggers, just the ENO slap straps. And as for them after 3 years or so
            > if use they haven't frayed yet.
            >
            > What Is an Alpine butterfly loop?
            >
            > Billy

            P.O. Box 013 Shinjhuang cara.lin@msa. <mailto:cara.lin%40msa.hinet.net>
            hinet.net
            Longjing Township http://megaview. <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/>
            com.tw/~caralin/
            Taichung County 43499
            Taiwan Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008

              On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

              > Load limit on them is 150 pounds.
              >
              > I would not hang in a hammock with these.
              >
              > As has been commented before: using anything rated at less than about
              > 600 pounds is prone to failure.
              >
              > Risk

              They also chew up the rope with their teeth, I got real excited when I saw
              them but not so much now I've used them (not on a hammock)

              Has your experince been different?

              Ralph

            • thomassen_ralph
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
                I told my boys we would get some fancy attachments for our hammocks
                the day after they could tie all the knots they need to hang their
                hammock with their eyes closed!!
                Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
                Troop 14 Griffin, Ga
                > gordon_human wrote:
                > > Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some
                (dirt
                > > cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the
                hammock
                > > for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in
                anger
                > > yet....
                > >

                > > http://www.rei.com/product/765517
                > >
                > > Gordon
                >

                > On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Load limit on them is 150 pounds.
                > >
                > > I would not hang in a hammock with these.
                > >
                > > As has been commented before: using anything rated at less than
                about
                > > 600 pounds is prone to failure.
                > >
                > > Risk
                >

                > They also chew up the rope with their teeth, I got real excited
                when I saw
                > them but not so much now I've used them (not on a hammock)
                >
                > Has your experince been different?
                >
                > Ralph

              • Tom Frazier
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                  Some folks have said that they've used these with success, but I'm personally a leery of them since their weight limit is 150 pounds and the pressure at each end of the hammock can reach as much as 600 pounds (your weight, plus the extra weight you generate when you shift your weight around).

                  These are more designed for static loads. I use the little figure 9's for tarp tie outs and they've worked great for that purpose thus far. I just tie in a few half hitches on the ridgeline figure 9's as a just-in-case measure.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                    Hence the reason why many will even forgoe the use of the cheap carabiners you can buy at the hardware stores, and use the "climbing rated" carabiners (carabiners that are supposed to support "life", so you know they'll work for hanging hammocks!) to support the ends instead.

                    gordon_human wrote:
                    > Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some (dirt
                    > cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the hammock
                    > for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in anger
                    > yet....
                    >

                    > http://www.rei.com/product/765517
                    >
                    > Gordon

                  • Tom Frazier
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                      With the figure 9's, using the right size rope is critical to getting a good grab, without getting your rope eaten up. The teeth aren't really sharp (they shouldn't be, anyways) and shouldn't really fray the rope to pieces if the rope is thick enough. Sometimes, letting the rope slide through the figure 9 can cause some fraying, but you can prevent this by tugging on the ends (just as you would if you use ropes to hang your hammock) to make sure they dont' slip out the other direction.

                      I'm using these for my big tarp with no problems at all.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                        thanks, i'll try them again

                        Ralph

                        On 4/24/08, Tom Frazier <wildewudu@...> wrote:

                        > With the figure 9's, using the right size rope is critical to getting a
                        > good grab, without getting your rope eaten up. The teeth aren't really sharp
                        > (they shouldn't be, anyways) and shouldn't really fray the rope to pieces if
                        > the rope is thick enough. Sometimes, letting the rope slide through the
                        > figure 9 can cause some fraying, but you can prevent this by tugging on the
                        > ends (just as you would if you use ropes to hang your hammock) to make sure
                        > they dont' slip out the other direction.
                        >
                        > I'm using these for my big tarp with no problems at all.

                      • Richard Perlman
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                          Hike your own hike!

                          I used to buy every new gadget. I was the consummate gadgeteer! My
                          pack was 50 pounds. If I could have
                          found a larger one it would have been 75.

                          Then I found the simplicity of bringing as little and as light as
                          possible. Sometimes, too little. It makes me think more and appreciate
                          all the things I leave at home which I choose to escape from. For me,
                          the Wilderness/Nature is the ultimate truth - no lies.

                          I'm with Risk. A "slippery" taught line hitch weighs nothing, you can't
                          loose it or break it.

                          Hike your own hike!

                          Rich