RE: [Hammock Camping] Using ascenders with a hammock

  • Billy Chard
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
      All ths talk about Aecenders and having to tie ropes to hang your
      hammock. Has anyone looked at the slap straps from ENO. Like someone
      said one rope less weight simple. You just toss it around the tree and
      slide it through a loop hook in with a biner and Vollia swinging in no
      time

      Billy

      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
        The easiest method I've used so far to hang a hammock (have done the carabiner, tree huggers, etc.) is to simply wrap cordage from the hammock around a tree a few times and then tie a bow. Never had it slip on me once.

        Though, I'm looking forward to having a cinch buckle and a single strap (webbing) on either sides of the hammock. My issue has been not having a long enough cord/webbing to go around some of the larger trees that I run into over here. The 15 feet that came with my claytor will do in a pinch for most trees, but it's just not long enough for some of the larger diamter trees.

        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
          I use two carabiners to link my tree huggers to my hammock rope. They
          are my compromise between weight and care of equipment. The reason is
          wear and tear on the tree huggers (and the rope). Tying my Hennessey
          Hammock following instructions, I notice the edges of the tree hugger
          loops were very quickly getting frayed (i.e. within the first 2-3 times
          of tying up). I also remembered a rock climbing rule--to never have
          rope on rope or metal on metal.

          I do thread the hammock rope through the Alpine Butterfly loop, but
          there is not much friction or sliding there when adjusting the knot.
          Getting into and out of the hammock, however, there invariably will be
          some rubbing of rope on rope.

          I prefer Hennessey's rope and tree hugger combination to a slap strap or
          a long rope of webbing. I've not weighed the two, but am sure the
          rope-tree hugger combination is lighter.

          So, for me it is a combination of function, weight, and care of
          equipment. Tying knots with cold, tired hands are not a concern.

          CL
        • Billy Chard
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
            I Must add here that I am not to knowledgeable about knots. There for
            the 12 oz that the slap strap weights in at, and the ease of use, make
            it benifitial to me. I do not have the experience with the HH Tree
            Huggers, just the ENO slap straps. And as for them after 3 years or so
            if use they haven't frayed yet.

            What Is an Alpine butterfly loop?

            Billy

            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
              You can find directions for an Alpine Butterfly here
              <http://www.animatedknots.com/alpinebutterfly/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com#>.

              It's very simple, but effective.

              12 ounces is a LOT of rope and is about a third of the weight of my
              hammock, rope, tree-huggers, tarp, biners, pegs, etc. It all weighs in
              at about 37 oz. JRB nest and no-sniveler are an additional 40 ounces.

              CL

              Billy Chard wrote:
              > I Must add here that I am not to knowledgeable about knots. There for
              > the 12 oz that the slap strap weights in at, and the ease of use, make
              > it benifitial to me. I do not have the experience with the HH Tree
              > Huggers, just the ENO slap straps. And as for them after 3 years or so
              > if use they haven't frayed yet.
              >
              > What Is an Alpine butterfly loop?
              >
              > Billy

              please note my mailing address:
              Cara Lin Bridgman

              P.O. Box 013 Shinjhuang cara.lin@...
              Longjing Township http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
              Taichung County 43499
              Taiwan Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
            • gordon_human
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some (dirt
                cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the hammock
                for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in anger
                yet....

                http://www.rei.com/product/765517

                Gordon
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                  Load limit on them is 150 pounds.

                  I would not hang in a hammock with these.

                  As has been commented before: using anything rated at less than about
                  600 pounds is prone to failure.

                  Risk

                  gordon_human wrote:
                  > Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some (dirt
                  > cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the hammock
                  > for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in anger
                  > yet....
                  >

                  > http://www.rei.com/product/765517
                  >
                  > Gordon

                • Billy Chard
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                    Thanks for the link for the knot. Ill check it out.

                    You def have me there in weight my rig comes in at 72 oz. I guess It
                    may sound like a lot compared with your set up

                    Billy Chard wrote:
                    > I Must add here that I am not to knowledgeable about knots. There for
                    > the 12 oz that the slap strap weights in at, and the ease of use, make
                    > it benifitial to me. I do not have the experience with the HH Tree
                    > Huggers, just the ENO slap straps. And as for them after 3 years or so
                    > if use they haven't frayed yet.
                    >
                    > What Is an Alpine butterfly loop?
                    >
                    > Billy

                    P.O. Box 013 Shinjhuang cara.lin@msa. <mailto:cara.lin%40msa.hinet.net>
                    hinet.net
                    Longjing Township http://megaview. <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/>
                    com.tw/~caralin/
                    Taichung County 43499
                    Taiwan Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008

                      On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

                      > Load limit on them is 150 pounds.
                      >
                      > I would not hang in a hammock with these.
                      >
                      > As has been commented before: using anything rated at less than about
                      > 600 pounds is prone to failure.
                      >
                      > Risk

                      They also chew up the rope with their teeth, I got real excited when I saw
                      them but not so much now I've used them (not on a hammock)

                      Has your experince been different?

                      Ralph

                    • thomassen_ralph
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                        <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
                        I told my boys we would get some fancy attachments for our hammocks
                        the day after they could tie all the knots they need to hang their
                        hammock with their eyes closed!!
                        Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
                        Troop 14 Griffin, Ga
                        > gordon_human wrote:
                        > > Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some
                        (dirt
                        > > cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the
                        hammock
                        > > for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in
                        anger
                        > > yet....
                        > >

                        > > http://www.rei.com/product/765517
                        > >
                        > > Gordon
                        >

                        > On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Load limit on them is 150 pounds.
                        > >
                        > > I would not hang in a hammock with these.
                        > >
                        > > As has been commented before: using anything rated at less than
                        about
                        > > 600 pounds is prone to failure.
                        > >
                        > > Risk
                        >

                        > They also chew up the rope with their teeth, I got real excited
                        when I saw
                        > them but not so much now I've used them (not on a hammock)
                        >
                        > Has your experince been different?
                        >
                        > Ralph

                      • Tom Frazier
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                          Some folks have said that they've used these with success, but I'm personally a leery of them since their weight limit is 150 pounds and the pressure at each end of the hammock can reach as much as 600 pounds (your weight, plus the extra weight you generate when you shift your weight around).

                          These are more designed for static loads. I use the little figure 9's for tarp tie outs and they've worked great for that purpose thus far. I just tie in a few half hitches on the ridgeline figure 9's as a just-in-case measure.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                            Hence the reason why many will even forgoe the use of the cheap carabiners you can buy at the hardware stores, and use the "climbing rated" carabiners (carabiners that are supposed to support "life", so you know they'll work for hanging hammocks!) to support the ends instead.

                            gordon_human wrote:
                            > Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some (dirt
                            > cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the hammock
                            > for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in anger
                            > yet....
                            >

                            > http://www.rei.com/product/765517
                            >
                            > Gordon

                          • Tom Frazier
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                              With the figure 9's, using the right size rope is critical to getting a good grab, without getting your rope eaten up. The teeth aren't really sharp (they shouldn't be, anyways) and shouldn't really fray the rope to pieces if the rope is thick enough. Sometimes, letting the rope slide through the figure 9 can cause some fraying, but you can prevent this by tugging on the ends (just as you would if you use ropes to hang your hammock) to make sure they dont' slip out the other direction.

                              I'm using these for my big tarp with no problems at all.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                                thanks, i'll try them again

                                Ralph

                                On 4/24/08, Tom Frazier <wildewudu@...> wrote:

                                > With the figure 9's, using the right size rope is critical to getting a
                                > good grab, without getting your rope eaten up. The teeth aren't really sharp
                                > (they shouldn't be, anyways) and shouldn't really fray the rope to pieces if
                                > the rope is thick enough. Sometimes, letting the rope slide through the
                                > figure 9 can cause some fraying, but you can prevent this by tugging on the
                                > ends (just as you would if you use ropes to hang your hammock) to make sure
                                > they dont' slip out the other direction.
                                >
                                > I'm using these for my big tarp with no problems at all.

                              • Richard Perlman
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                                  Hike your own hike!

                                  I used to buy every new gadget. I was the consummate gadgeteer! My
                                  pack was 50 pounds. If I could have
                                  found a larger one it would have been 75.

                                  Then I found the simplicity of bringing as little and as light as
                                  possible. Sometimes, too little. It makes me think more and appreciate
                                  all the things I leave at home which I choose to escape from. For me,
                                  the Wilderness/Nature is the ultimate truth - no lies.

                                  I'm with Risk. A "slippery" taught line hitch weighs nothing, you can't
                                  loose it or break it.

                                  Hike your own hike!

                                  Rich