Re: [Hammock Camping] Using ascenders with a hammock

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
      I'm planning on using cinch buckles and 1" webbing straps on the hammock I'm making for my wife. They look like they'd work well, and the folks on hammockforums who have used them say you *don't* even need to tie in a couple of half-hitches to prevent the line from slipping.

      They're pretty cheap too:
      http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=118&parent=4

      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
        All ths talk about Aecenders and having to tie ropes to hang your
        hammock. Has anyone looked at the slap straps from ENO. Like someone
        said one rope less weight simple. You just toss it around the tree and
        slide it through a loop hook in with a biner and Vollia swinging in no
        time

        Billy

        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
          The easiest method I've used so far to hang a hammock (have done the carabiner, tree huggers, etc.) is to simply wrap cordage from the hammock around a tree a few times and then tie a bow. Never had it slip on me once.

          Though, I'm looking forward to having a cinch buckle and a single strap (webbing) on either sides of the hammock. My issue has been not having a long enough cord/webbing to go around some of the larger trees that I run into over here. The 15 feet that came with my claytor will do in a pinch for most trees, but it's just not long enough for some of the larger diamter trees.

          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
            I use two carabiners to link my tree huggers to my hammock rope. They
            are my compromise between weight and care of equipment. The reason is
            wear and tear on the tree huggers (and the rope). Tying my Hennessey
            Hammock following instructions, I notice the edges of the tree hugger
            loops were very quickly getting frayed (i.e. within the first 2-3 times
            of tying up). I also remembered a rock climbing rule--to never have
            rope on rope or metal on metal.

            I do thread the hammock rope through the Alpine Butterfly loop, but
            there is not much friction or sliding there when adjusting the knot.
            Getting into and out of the hammock, however, there invariably will be
            some rubbing of rope on rope.

            I prefer Hennessey's rope and tree hugger combination to a slap strap or
            a long rope of webbing. I've not weighed the two, but am sure the
            rope-tree hugger combination is lighter.

            So, for me it is a combination of function, weight, and care of
            equipment. Tying knots with cold, tired hands are not a concern.

            CL
          • Billy Chard
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
              I Must add here that I am not to knowledgeable about knots. There for
              the 12 oz that the slap strap weights in at, and the ease of use, make
              it benifitial to me. I do not have the experience with the HH Tree
              Huggers, just the ENO slap straps. And as for them after 3 years or so
              if use they haven't frayed yet.

              What Is an Alpine butterfly loop?

              Billy

              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                You can find directions for an Alpine Butterfly here
                <http://www.animatedknots.com/alpinebutterfly/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com#>.

                It's very simple, but effective.

                12 ounces is a LOT of rope and is about a third of the weight of my
                hammock, rope, tree-huggers, tarp, biners, pegs, etc. It all weighs in
                at about 37 oz. JRB nest and no-sniveler are an additional 40 ounces.

                CL

                Billy Chard wrote:
                > I Must add here that I am not to knowledgeable about knots. There for
                > the 12 oz that the slap strap weights in at, and the ease of use, make
                > it benifitial to me. I do not have the experience with the HH Tree
                > Huggers, just the ENO slap straps. And as for them after 3 years or so
                > if use they haven't frayed yet.
                >
                > What Is an Alpine butterfly loop?
                >
                > Billy

                please note my mailing address:
                Cara Lin Bridgman

                P.O. Box 013 Shinjhuang cara.lin@...
                Longjing Township http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
                Taichung County 43499
                Taiwan Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
              • gordon_human
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                  Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some (dirt
                  cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the hammock
                  for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in anger
                  yet....

                  http://www.rei.com/product/765517

                  Gordon
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                    Load limit on them is 150 pounds.

                    I would not hang in a hammock with these.

                    As has been commented before: using anything rated at less than about
                    600 pounds is prone to failure.

                    Risk

                    gordon_human wrote:
                    > Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some (dirt
                    > cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the hammock
                    > for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in anger
                    > yet....
                    >

                    > http://www.rei.com/product/765517
                    >
                    > Gordon

                  • Billy Chard
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                      Thanks for the link for the knot. Ill check it out.

                      You def have me there in weight my rig comes in at 72 oz. I guess It
                      may sound like a lot compared with your set up

                      Billy Chard wrote:
                      > I Must add here that I am not to knowledgeable about knots. There for
                      > the 12 oz that the slap strap weights in at, and the ease of use, make
                      > it benifitial to me. I do not have the experience with the HH Tree
                      > Huggers, just the ENO slap straps. And as for them after 3 years or so
                      > if use they haven't frayed yet.
                      >
                      > What Is an Alpine butterfly loop?
                      >
                      > Billy

                      P.O. Box 013 Shinjhuang cara.lin@msa. <mailto:cara.lin%40msa.hinet.net>
                      hinet.net
                      Longjing Township http://megaview. <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/>
                      com.tw/~caralin/
                      Taichung County 43499
                      Taiwan Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                    • Ralph Oborn
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008

                        On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

                        > Load limit on them is 150 pounds.
                        >
                        > I would not hang in a hammock with these.
                        >
                        > As has been commented before: using anything rated at less than about
                        > 600 pounds is prone to failure.
                        >
                        > Risk

                        They also chew up the rope with their teeth, I got real excited when I saw
                        them but not so much now I've used them (not on a hammock)

                        Has your experince been different?

                        Ralph

                      • thomassen_ralph
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                          <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
                          I told my boys we would get some fancy attachments for our hammocks
                          the day after they could tie all the knots they need to hang their
                          hammock with their eyes closed!!
                          Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
                          Troop 14 Griffin, Ga
                          > gordon_human wrote:
                          > > Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some
                          (dirt
                          > > cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the
                          hammock
                          > > for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in
                          anger
                          > > yet....
                          > >

                          > > http://www.rei.com/product/765517
                          > >
                          > > Gordon
                          >

                          > On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Load limit on them is 150 pounds.
                          > >
                          > > I would not hang in a hammock with these.
                          > >
                          > > As has been commented before: using anything rated at less than
                          about
                          > > 600 pounds is prone to failure.
                          > >
                          > > Risk
                          >

                          > They also chew up the rope with their teeth, I got real excited
                          when I saw
                          > them but not so much now I've used them (not on a hammock)
                          >
                          > Has your experince been different?
                          >
                          > Ralph

                        • Tom Frazier
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                            Some folks have said that they've used these with success, but I'm personally a leery of them since their weight limit is 150 pounds and the pressure at each end of the hammock can reach as much as 600 pounds (your weight, plus the extra weight you generate when you shift your weight around).

                            These are more designed for static loads. I use the little figure 9's for tarp tie outs and they've worked great for that purpose thus far. I just tie in a few half hitches on the ridgeline figure 9's as a just-in-case measure.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                              Hence the reason why many will even forgoe the use of the cheap carabiners you can buy at the hardware stores, and use the "climbing rated" carabiners (carabiners that are supposed to support "life", so you know they'll work for hanging hammocks!) to support the ends instead.

                              gordon_human wrote:
                              > Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some (dirt
                              > cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the hammock
                              > for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in anger
                              > yet....
                              >

                              > http://www.rei.com/product/765517
                              >
                              > Gordon

                            • Tom Frazier
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                                With the figure 9's, using the right size rope is critical to getting a good grab, without getting your rope eaten up. The teeth aren't really sharp (they shouldn't be, anyways) and shouldn't really fray the rope to pieces if the rope is thick enough. Sometimes, letting the rope slide through the figure 9 can cause some fraying, but you can prevent this by tugging on the ends (just as you would if you use ropes to hang your hammock) to make sure they dont' slip out the other direction.

                                I'm using these for my big tarp with no problems at all.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                                  thanks, i'll try them again

                                  Ralph

                                  On 4/24/08, Tom Frazier <wildewudu@...> wrote:

                                  > With the figure 9's, using the right size rope is critical to getting a
                                  > good grab, without getting your rope eaten up. The teeth aren't really sharp
                                  > (they shouldn't be, anyways) and shouldn't really fray the rope to pieces if
                                  > the rope is thick enough. Sometimes, letting the rope slide through the
                                  > figure 9 can cause some fraying, but you can prevent this by tugging on the
                                  > ends (just as you would if you use ropes to hang your hammock) to make sure
                                  > they dont' slip out the other direction.
                                  >
                                  > I'm using these for my big tarp with no problems at all.

                                • Richard Perlman
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                                    Hike your own hike!

                                    I used to buy every new gadget. I was the consummate gadgeteer! My
                                    pack was 50 pounds. If I could have
                                    found a larger one it would have been 75.

                                    Then I found the simplicity of bringing as little and as light as
                                    possible. Sometimes, too little. It makes me think more and appreciate
                                    all the things I leave at home which I choose to escape from. For me,
                                    the Wilderness/Nature is the ultimate truth - no lies.

                                    I'm with Risk. A "slippery" taught line hitch weighs nothing, you can't
                                    loose it or break it.

                                    Hike your own hike!

                                    Rich