SEHHA - 21st Campout

  • karens62@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
      Hi all,

      Just a quick reminder that the 21st Southeast Hammock Hangers Association Campout is this upcoming weekend in Hopt Springs, NC. The campout is open to everyone; please?stop by?even if you can only come for the day on Saturday. This is a unique opportunity to not only see several varieties of commercial and DIY hammocks, but an opportunity to meet some great people with many of the same interests you probably have.? All of the?details can be found on the following website:

      http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/Articles/HotSpringsApr08.htm

      Ed and I are looking forward to?meeting?new people?and renewing old friendships.

      Karen

      Speer Hammocks, Inc.

    • Blake Robert
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
        I have some old Jumar ascenders I used as a caver back
        in the 1970's. Being so old, I do not trust them to
        sell on ebay even though new Jumars are a bit
        costly---so, I am thinking of using them to hold the
        end ropes of my hammock---making for very easy
        adjustment of tension.

        It occurs to me---why isn't there some kind of
        cam-type adjustor available for hammock hanging?

        R Blake

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
          It occurs to me---why isn't there some kind of
          cam-type adjustor available for hammock hanging?

          R Blake

          Like the ones used on motorcycle tie down straps?

          Some folks here have used a double ring system but secure it with a half
          hitch when the adjustment is correct.

          Ralph

        • Thomas Vickers
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
            Let me ask about ascenders for a moment.
            Do they have teeth?
            Would the teeth rip/shred or otherwise tear the hammock ropes?

            TV
          • Carey Parks
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
              Because it's not needed. When you carry everything on your back for miles
              and miles, you try to eliminate that which is not necessary. Tree hugger
              straps are necessary for the prevention of damage to the trees, and once you
              have those, simple figure 8 lashings work fine. I hang my hammock, sit/lie
              in it for a few minutes to stretch things out, then take up some on the foot
              end and I'm done for the night. There's no constant adjusting so no need for
              the weight/complexity of additional gear. You are right tho, it would work
              fine. Just not needed.

              Carey

                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
                  We'll miss ya Tim..All the best..Ed

                  Speer Hammocks Inc

                  Quality Hammocks for Adventure Camping

                  3947 Mudcut Rd

                  Marion, NC 28752

                  828.724.4444

                  www.SpeerHammocks.com

                  info@...

                  Hammock Camping (the book)

                  The Complete Guide to Greater Comfot, Conveninece and Freedom

                  www.HammockCamping.com

                  Also FREE reports and Hammock Camping Newsletters!

                  Hammock Camping (FREE e-zines)

                  www.HammockCamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm

                  Hammock Camping-L (email group)

                  A FREE open discussion group. Learn from the experts!

                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
                    There are lots of times though where I wouldn't mind the weight, not
                    to mention with today's materials they should be able to make them
                    pretty light.

                    TV
                  • David Ball
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
                      I am totally new to this, however I have done a ton of research. My Claytor is on the way, and I have purchased cinch buckles to use with mine. Seemed most dependable with reasonable weight. I am going to be in a canoe, so grams won't be counted. Just an idea.

                      David

                      David and Cara Lawson-Ball
                      RiverJourneys Inc.
                      70529 Martin Road
                      Edwardsburg, MI 49112

                      574-535-3623
                      http://www.riverjourneys.org
                      riverjourneys@...

                      Dedicated to providing our customers personal growth,
                      team building, and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

                      "In the woods nothing will befall me . . . no disgrace, no calamity
                      which nature cannot repair."

                      Ralph Waldo Emerson

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
                        There are such devices. They do weight more than knots.

                        Rick

                        Blake Robert wrote:
                        > I have some old Jumar ascenders I used as a caver back
                        > in the 1970's. Being so old, I do not trust them to
                        > sell on ebay even though new Jumars are a bit
                        > costly---so, I am thinking of using them to hold the
                        > end ropes of my hammock---making for very easy
                        > adjustment of tension.
                        >
                        > It occurs to me---why isn't there some kind of
                        > cam-type adjustor available for hammock hanging?
                        >
                        > R Blake

                      • Carey Parks
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
                          There are such devices. They do weight more than knots.

                          Rick

                          Exactly. They do work, and you might want to try them. Hike your own hike as
                          the saying goes. It's fun to collect gear and fondle it. But I am finding
                          the more I hike, the less I want to carry, regardless of the weight. It's a
                          small thing, but just digging thru the gear to find something, or figuring
                          out where to put it while you get the rope ready reduces my pleasure. One
                          strap, one rope - job done. That's my hike.

                          Perhaps it's an in-bred process - aquire a lot of stuff, try lots of things,
                          then settle on what works for you and sell off the rest. Nothing wrong with
                          that. But I suspect most people will end up in almost the same place where
                          less is more.

                          Blake Robert wrote:
                          > I have some old Jumar ascenders I used as a caver back
                          > in the 1970's. Being so old, I do not trust them to
                          > sell on ebay even though new Jumars are a bit
                          > costly---so, I am thinking of using them to hold the
                          > end ropes of my hammock---making for very easy
                          > adjustment of tension.
                          >
                          > It occurs to me---why isn't there some kind of
                          > cam-type adjustor available for hammock hanging?
                          >
                          > R Blake

                        • Thomas Vickers
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
                            I too try to reduce my load, but I also remember cold nights in the
                            Sierras where I was wiped out. Being able to hand something like an
                            ascender from the tree huggers and have my hammock up without having
                            to try knots with cold tired hands in the dark would have made them
                            worth the weight

                            TV
                          • Tom Frazier
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
                              I'm planning on using cinch buckles and 1" webbing straps on the hammock I'm making for my wife. They look like they'd work well, and the folks on hammockforums who have used them say you *don't* even need to tie in a couple of half-hitches to prevent the line from slipping.

                              They're pretty cheap too:
                              http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=118&parent=4

                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
                                All ths talk about Aecenders and having to tie ropes to hang your
                                hammock. Has anyone looked at the slap straps from ENO. Like someone
                                said one rope less weight simple. You just toss it around the tree and
                                slide it through a loop hook in with a biner and Vollia swinging in no
                                time

                                Billy

                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
                                  The easiest method I've used so far to hang a hammock (have done the carabiner, tree huggers, etc.) is to simply wrap cordage from the hammock around a tree a few times and then tie a bow. Never had it slip on me once.

                                  Though, I'm looking forward to having a cinch buckle and a single strap (webbing) on either sides of the hammock. My issue has been not having a long enough cord/webbing to go around some of the larger trees that I run into over here. The 15 feet that came with my claytor will do in a pinch for most trees, but it's just not long enough for some of the larger diamter trees.

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 23, 2008
                                    I use two carabiners to link my tree huggers to my hammock rope. They
                                    are my compromise between weight and care of equipment. The reason is
                                    wear and tear on the tree huggers (and the rope). Tying my Hennessey
                                    Hammock following instructions, I notice the edges of the tree hugger
                                    loops were very quickly getting frayed (i.e. within the first 2-3 times
                                    of tying up). I also remembered a rock climbing rule--to never have
                                    rope on rope or metal on metal.

                                    I do thread the hammock rope through the Alpine Butterfly loop, but
                                    there is not much friction or sliding there when adjusting the knot.
                                    Getting into and out of the hammock, however, there invariably will be
                                    some rubbing of rope on rope.

                                    I prefer Hennessey's rope and tree hugger combination to a slap strap or
                                    a long rope of webbing. I've not weighed the two, but am sure the
                                    rope-tree hugger combination is lighter.

                                    So, for me it is a combination of function, weight, and care of
                                    equipment. Tying knots with cold, tired hands are not a concern.

                                    CL
                                  • Billy Chard
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                                      I Must add here that I am not to knowledgeable about knots. There for
                                      the 12 oz that the slap strap weights in at, and the ease of use, make
                                      it benifitial to me. I do not have the experience with the HH Tree
                                      Huggers, just the ENO slap straps. And as for them after 3 years or so
                                      if use they haven't frayed yet.

                                      What Is an Alpine butterfly loop?

                                      Billy

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                                        You can find directions for an Alpine Butterfly here
                                        <http://www.animatedknots.com/alpinebutterfly/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com#>.

                                        It's very simple, but effective.

                                        12 ounces is a LOT of rope and is about a third of the weight of my
                                        hammock, rope, tree-huggers, tarp, biners, pegs, etc. It all weighs in
                                        at about 37 oz. JRB nest and no-sniveler are an additional 40 ounces.

                                        CL

                                        Billy Chard wrote:
                                        > I Must add here that I am not to knowledgeable about knots. There for
                                        > the 12 oz that the slap strap weights in at, and the ease of use, make
                                        > it benifitial to me. I do not have the experience with the HH Tree
                                        > Huggers, just the ENO slap straps. And as for them after 3 years or so
                                        > if use they haven't frayed yet.
                                        >
                                        > What Is an Alpine butterfly loop?
                                        >
                                        > Billy

                                        please note my mailing address:
                                        Cara Lin Bridgman

                                        P.O. Box 013 Shinjhuang cara.lin@...
                                        Longjing Township http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
                                        Taichung County 43499
                                        Taiwan Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                                      • gordon_human
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                                          Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some (dirt
                                          cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the hammock
                                          for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in anger
                                          yet....

                                          http://www.rei.com/product/765517

                                          Gordon
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                                            Load limit on them is 150 pounds.

                                            I would not hang in a hammock with these.

                                            As has been commented before: using anything rated at less than about
                                            600 pounds is prone to failure.

                                            Risk

                                            gordon_human wrote:
                                            > Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some (dirt
                                            > cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the hammock
                                            > for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in anger
                                            > yet....
                                            >

                                            > http://www.rei.com/product/765517
                                            >
                                            > Gordon

                                          • Billy Chard
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                                              Thanks for the link for the knot. Ill check it out.

                                              You def have me there in weight my rig comes in at 72 oz. I guess It
                                              may sound like a lot compared with your set up

                                              Billy Chard wrote:
                                              > I Must add here that I am not to knowledgeable about knots. There for
                                              > the 12 oz that the slap strap weights in at, and the ease of use, make
                                              > it benifitial to me. I do not have the experience with the HH Tree
                                              > Huggers, just the ENO slap straps. And as for them after 3 years or so
                                              > if use they haven't frayed yet.
                                              >
                                              > What Is an Alpine butterfly loop?
                                              >
                                              > Billy

                                              P.O. Box 013 Shinjhuang cara.lin@msa. <mailto:cara.lin%40msa.hinet.net>
                                              hinet.net
                                              Longjing Township http://megaview. <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/>
                                              com.tw/~caralin/
                                              Taichung County 43499
                                              Taiwan Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                                            • Ralph Oborn
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008

                                                On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

                                                > Load limit on them is 150 pounds.
                                                >
                                                > I would not hang in a hammock with these.
                                                >
                                                > As has been commented before: using anything rated at less than about
                                                > 600 pounds is prone to failure.
                                                >
                                                > Risk

                                                They also chew up the rope with their teeth, I got real excited when I saw
                                                them but not so much now I've used them (not on a hammock)

                                                Has your experince been different?

                                                Ralph

                                              • thomassen_ralph
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                                                  <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
                                                  I told my boys we would get some fancy attachments for our hammocks
                                                  the day after they could tie all the knots they need to hang their
                                                  hammock with their eyes closed!!
                                                  Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
                                                  Troop 14 Griffin, Ga
                                                  > gordon_human wrote:
                                                  > > Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some
                                                  (dirt
                                                  > > cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the
                                                  hammock
                                                  > > for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in
                                                  anger
                                                  > > yet....
                                                  > >

                                                  > > http://www.rei.com/product/765517
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Gordon
                                                  >

                                                  > On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > Load limit on them is 150 pounds.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I would not hang in a hammock with these.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > As has been commented before: using anything rated at less than
                                                  about
                                                  > > 600 pounds is prone to failure.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Risk
                                                  >

                                                  > They also chew up the rope with their teeth, I got real excited
                                                  when I saw
                                                  > them but not so much now I've used them (not on a hammock)
                                                  >
                                                  > Has your experince been different?
                                                  >
                                                  > Ralph

                                                • Tom Frazier
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                                                    Some folks have said that they've used these with success, but I'm personally a leery of them since their weight limit is 150 pounds and the pressure at each end of the hammock can reach as much as 600 pounds (your weight, plus the extra weight you generate when you shift your weight around).

                                                    These are more designed for static loads. I use the little figure 9's for tarp tie outs and they've worked great for that purpose thus far. I just tie in a few half hitches on the ridgeline figure 9's as a just-in-case measure.

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                                                      Hence the reason why many will even forgoe the use of the cheap carabiners you can buy at the hardware stores, and use the "climbing rated" carabiners (carabiners that are supposed to support "life", so you know they'll work for hanging hammocks!) to support the ends instead.

                                                      gordon_human wrote:
                                                      > Might want to play with some of these Nite Ize.....I bought some (dirt
                                                      > cheap) with the idea of using two or three at each end of the hammock
                                                      > for just that purpose...haven't got round to trying them out in anger
                                                      > yet....
                                                      >

                                                      > http://www.rei.com/product/765517
                                                      >
                                                      > Gordon

                                                    • Tom Frazier
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                                                        With the figure 9's, using the right size rope is critical to getting a good grab, without getting your rope eaten up. The teeth aren't really sharp (they shouldn't be, anyways) and shouldn't really fray the rope to pieces if the rope is thick enough. Sometimes, letting the rope slide through the figure 9 can cause some fraying, but you can prevent this by tugging on the ends (just as you would if you use ropes to hang your hammock) to make sure they dont' slip out the other direction.

                                                        I'm using these for my big tarp with no problems at all.

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                                                          thanks, i'll try them again

                                                          Ralph

                                                          On 4/24/08, Tom Frazier <wildewudu@...> wrote:

                                                          > With the figure 9's, using the right size rope is critical to getting a
                                                          > good grab, without getting your rope eaten up. The teeth aren't really sharp
                                                          > (they shouldn't be, anyways) and shouldn't really fray the rope to pieces if
                                                          > the rope is thick enough. Sometimes, letting the rope slide through the
                                                          > figure 9 can cause some fraying, but you can prevent this by tugging on the
                                                          > ends (just as you would if you use ropes to hang your hammock) to make sure
                                                          > they dont' slip out the other direction.
                                                          >
                                                          > I'm using these for my big tarp with no problems at all.

                                                        • Richard Perlman
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Apr 24, 2008
                                                            Hike your own hike!

                                                            I used to buy every new gadget. I was the consummate gadgeteer! My
                                                            pack was 50 pounds. If I could have
                                                            found a larger one it would have been 75.

                                                            Then I found the simplicity of bringing as little and as light as
                                                            possible. Sometimes, too little. It makes me think more and appreciate
                                                            all the things I leave at home which I choose to escape from. For me,
                                                            the Wilderness/Nature is the ultimate truth - no lies.

                                                            I'm with Risk. A "slippery" taught line hitch weighs nothing, you can't
                                                            loose it or break it.

                                                            Hike your own hike!

                                                            Rich