Interested in Camping Hammocks

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27 10:59 AM
      Ross, hope you are reading these posts. I couldn't reach you at the
      email address you left me offlist (my replies were returned), so am
      posting my reply here.

      Good to hear from you Ross. Sounds like you're already quite
      familiar with hammock camping and lightweight hiking. I too have used
      my hammock many times in the 'Glades and the 'Okee; I'll probably do
      another trip this winter. As you know, hammocks can't be beat for
      this kind of camping. I've also hiked the AT twice with my hammock
      and really love it for the convenience of being able to make camp
      almost anywhere. I'm headed for the PCT next year!

      I offer four models, all with bug net, 8X10 rain canopy and a free
      book!

      8.0A folks up to 6' tall & 250 lbs I'm 5'11" 175 lbs so this is
      my favorite--weighs 2 lbs!
      8.0C folks up to 6' tall & 350 lbs
      8.5A folks up to 6.5' tall & 250 lbs
      8.5C folks up to 6.5' tall & 350 lbs

      You can check them out at: http://www.speerhammocks.com

      All the best.....Ed
    • Ross
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27 11:38 AM
        --thanks Ed,
        Ill try to get to the camp in sept.We will be watching the
        fireworks in Atlanta from the overlook at woody gap on the 4th.80
        miles away but looks much closer.
        Ross

        - In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <info@s...> wrote:
        > Ross, hope you are reading these posts. I couldn't reach you at the
        > email address you left me offlist (my replies were returned), so am
        > posting my reply here.
        >
        > Good to hear from you Ross. Sounds like you're already quite
        > familiar with hammock camping and lightweight hiking. I too have
        used
        > my hammock many times in the 'Glades and the 'Okee; I'll probably do
        > another trip this winter. As you know, hammocks can't be beat for
        > this kind of camping. I've also hiked the AT twice with my hammock
        > and really love it for the convenience of being able to make camp
        > almost anywhere. I'm headed for the PCT next year!
        >
        > I offer four models, all with bug net, 8X10 rain canopy and a free
        > book!
        >
        > 8.0A folks up to 6' tall & 250 lbs I'm 5'11" 175 lbs so this is
        > my favorite--weighs 2 lbs!
        > 8.0C folks up to 6' tall & 350 lbs
        > 8.5A folks up to 6.5' tall & 250 lbs
        > 8.5C folks up to 6.5' tall & 350 lbs
        >
        > You can check them out at: http://www.speerhammocks.com
        >
        > All the best.....Ed
      • Tony Burnett
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 27 11:44 AM
          --- Ed Speer <info@...> wrote:
          > I'm headed for the PCT next year!

          I have often wondered how well hammocks would do along the PCT. I
          would assume during the desert portion they have to be setup as
          bivies. But how much of the rest of the trail has small enough trees
          (if any trees) to tie off hammocks?

          =====
          Tony

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 27 12:36 PM
            Message
            I really don't know Tony.  Certainly not as convenient as the forested Appalachians.  The desert will be a challenge, however, I've tied my hammock off many times to boulders when trees weren't available.  Other challenges will be the large size of some of the trees, but this can be handled with longer hanging straps.  When all elase fails, my Speer hammock is designed to easily set up on the ground as a tarp and bivy sack.  I do plan on taking my hammock on the PCT....Ed