Wood Cutting Tools

  • eg_wilks
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
      Regarding wood cutting tools for backpacking. I used to carry a type
      of machete that was used to cut sugar cane in Central America. It
      had a short wide blade, squared-off end and a type of hook on the
      back. That machete was made by Collins somewhere in Central America
      and would do everything from pull dutch ovens from the fire (the
      hook, had no edge on it), flip pancakes like a spatula (was wide
      enough) and cut just about any small brush or sticks you'd need.
      That thing had good steel and would keep an edge.

      More recently I carry a type of brush hook made by Gerber. It has
      kind of a hawk-bill shape and a long handle. I covered the handle in
      suede so it won't slip in my hands. The brush hook has a stainless
      blade and will really keep an edge. I hone it on a buffing wheel
      with honing abrasive. Puts a razor edge with a mirror sheen on it.
      The brush hook is lighter than a machete and easier to carry. It's
      not sold with a very good sheath so I made one out of heavy leather.

      Saws: I like the small folding saw made by Felco. It's made with a
      Japanese type blade that cuts on the pull stroke. Very sharp in
      stainless steel. I've used mine for several years and it will still
      outcut any bowsaw. It folds like a pocketknife, probably about 10
      inches long and will fit in your pocket with ease. Has a locking
      blade. Very light as well. It's a cuttin' machine. Enjoy.

      EW

      > Personally, I really don't see that much difference between
      foldable saws. If you look at a poorly made one, you should be able
      to see the flaws and, listening to your inner voice, don't purchase
      it. Though, I've owned many inexpensive, and some from some of the
      more reputable companies (like Gerber's saw), folding saws and
      they've all worked like they were supposed to.

      > In terms of saws, though, I'd like to try one of those folding
      frame-saws as it seems to me that they would last longer, especially
      considering that I can buy extra blades to replace broken or dull
      blades...something that's harder, depending upon model, to do with
      the usual folding saw.

      > Shovels: I got a Gerber Gorge shovel and it's "OK", but it really
      depends upon what you want to do with it. Personally, I think it's
      really heavy (about 24oz.)...it's certainly one of the more heavier
      and dense things in my pack. I got it for the built-in tent stake
      hammer as well as the shovel part. It was useful for digging into a
      snow bank and a few other minor stuff; the handle actually popped off
      a few times. If I had to do it again, and considering how heavy this
      small one was, I'd get the bigger Gerber shovel they offer.

      > I used to bring hatchets with me, but have since adopted the use of
      Coldsteel's kukri machete. It's lighter and, with the edge sharpened
      and the black epoxy coating removed (my preference for reduced
      cutting resistance) more efficient than any hatchet or light axe I've
      used. After the initial sharpening (removal of the dull factory
      edge), I've only had to sharpen it once or twice in the last year
      that I've been using it regularly.

      4/19/2008 11:31 AM

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
        From a practical point of view, saws will be more effective than axes
        that are usually not sharp enough. Without proper training and
        maintenance, axes and machetes are more trouble than they're worth.
        Which is not to say that Scouts shouldn't be trained, and encouraged
        to use axes. It is my belief that a properly maintained and used
        hand axe is the only edged tool that you need in the woods. It'll do
        everything, including shave your face (if you sharpen it right) that
        you need. BUT, very few people maintain, or use these tools right.

        The Totin' Chip badge used to be required in my troop before you
        could take an axe, or even a pocket knife on a campout. Of course,
        this assumes the ScoutMaster or other instructor knows what he's
        doing in terms of sharpening, storing, carrying and using these
        potentially dangerous tools. And when to use them. Like not on
        standing trees, for instance. Even given training by real experts
        (one of my ScoutMasters was a lumberjack, with great respect for
        tools) I've got some scars on my hands that I got 45 years ago :)

        Do be careful. Err on the side of caution.

        Steve B.
        Maryland
      • Tom Frazier
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
          I might not be your typical "camper", in terms of being in the woods. I'm very comfy there, considering I've spent about 15 years learning and practicing primitive survival skills (and have been runing the 'primitive' yahoo group for around 8 years now). I really don't need any equipment, as I carried only a swiss army knife and a mag. fire starter for many years before I started to collect "backpacking" gear.

          In the last five years, I've become more comfort oriented and explored (by using) the typical "backpacking" equipment (as opposed to heavier "car camping equipment). I used a frame pack (multi-use for me, since I can use it to haul out meat from sucessful hunts too) and most of the gear I'm still using. Now that I've discovered hammock camping, I've been able to literally shave pounds off my weight (from a camp-comfy 50 pounds to a current 14 pound UL weight) and I changed the kind of pack I'm using. It's a good middle ground for me so far.

          The places I like to camp at are very typically off the beaten path. I tend to get into an area as far as I can, park my vehicle, then seek out deer trails to follow into the field and brush. Where I'm at, I have about 100k acres of relatively unknown backcountry (meaning, only determined individuals go very far into it) to play around in.

          I usually do bring grocery bags with me (I have so many saved up!)...not necessarily for trash, but for things like dirty/sweaty clothes, to tie my shoes up for the night, etc. If I do have some trash, it's very, very little. I've been at this for over 15 years now and I still haven't had enough trash to fill more than just one typical grocery bag---and this is even when I've camped with my family (two kids and my wife) and my brother. I bring either freeze-dried camper MRE-style meals, or simple dehydrated meals that I have to prep. and cook myself.

          As to cutting down toothbrushes...I first read about that in Jardine's UL camping book, but thus far the only handle I've cut is the handle to my rubber spatula, simply because it didn't fit inside my MSR 2L Titan.

          I like this raincover precisely for it's multipurpose design. I personally don't use any gravity water filter system (I use a heavy, but longer lasting, MSR ceramic filter), but this will work great as a raincover for my pack in the spring and fall (the two times where the rain is nearly constant here), and as a gear hammock to store my stuff off the ground (I'm not happy about getting dirt or mud on my pack! Eventually, it goes on my back again!)...

          From: Tom Frazier wildewudu@...
          Tothewoods has plans/info. on a raincover that can also be used as a tarp, a gear hammock, a rain collector, water bag, etc.
          http://www.tothewoo ds.net/HomemadeG earPackCoverGear Hammock.html
          Eliminates having to bring a limited-use (and easy to puncture) plastic bag.

          Tom, don't you carry garbage bags to remove your waste? Certainly, one can take along as much gear as you wish to carry, but pack weight is always an issue. I've seen people cut off half the handle of their toothbrush to save weight!
          In my opinion, nobody should take off for even a morning hike without a trash bag or two on their person. It's useful for trash collection, certainly, but in an emergency, we should all remember the usefulness of every basic item we carry for "non-traditional" purposes. If we think carefully about the multiple ways each item, we can reduce our pack weight considerably.Recent Activity
          10New Members
          12New Photos
          Visit Your Group
          Y! Sports for TV
          Game Day Companion
          Live fantasy league
          & game stats on TV.
          Yahoo! Groups
          Wellness Spot
          A resource for living
          the Curves lifestyle.
          Cat Groups
          on Yahoo! Groups
          discuss everything
          related to cats..

        • Mark A. Andrews
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
            Wow! I didn't mean to generate hostility.

            Nowhere did I say that you shouldn't carry an orange trash bag. What I
            said (if you care to re-read the first line of my post) is that you
            should not use it as part of your everyday gear. My interpretation of
            "in a pinch". To me, that is not an emergency situtation, but rather an
            inconvenience.

            A apologize that I didn't make myself more clear. My fault.

            Last post, I promise.

            Mark

            Linda Ellis wrote:
> [...]
          • Richard Perlman
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
              Steve wrote regarding the Boy Scout use of axes:
              > Do be careful. Err on the side of caution.
              My troop's leaders all agree. As a result, we don't use axes.

              But 3 of us do agree on hammocks! :-)

              Rich

            • thomassen_ralph
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                Hey Rosaleen,
                For scouts to earn their Totin' Chip they have to be able to feed and
                care for axes, hatchets, saws, and, folding knives. The only thing I
                know that the scouts seriously frown on are fixed blade knives. The
                reason being is that they are harder to secure. Not knowing what type
                of trail improvement we will have to do we will most likely carry all
                3 items. Be Prepared right?? I was just tbrainstorming on a way to
                cut down weight. One of those kukri style machetes wood be nice. I
                have tried the woodsman pal and it is sweet!!
                Thanks Rosaleen!!
                > Hey, Ralph-
                >
                > Before you make plans to have your Scouts carry hatchets, check
                the "Guide
                > to Safe Scouting" and instructions for using wood tools.
                (Was "Totenship" a
                > card kids earned?) It's been quite a few years, but I think it was
                against
                > policy for my Scouts to use hatchets, and small axes had to be used
                in
                > well-prescribed circumstances. We were encouraged to stick with
                saws, and
                > used a small axe or maybe a hatchet only for splitting wood using
                the
                > "contact method." A (folding) Sven saw wasn't too bad to carry,
                especially
                > when weight could be divvied up. Maintainers that come upon seem
                to use
                > saws, and nippers quite a bit.
                >
                > Rosaleen
                > (SNIP)
                > Has anyone experience with light weight shovels, bow saws, and/or
                > hatchets. We have to do a conservation/trail improvement project on
                > our 50 miles hike to earn the badge. This is not something a hiker
                > would normally carry, but we will have to tote it.
                > Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
                > Troop 14 Griffin, GA

              • Tom Frazier
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                  Orange tents...that's the bummer of my brother's MSR Hubba tent...it's all orange (not quite "blaze" orange, but close to it!)!! Though, I'm sure MSR, being a "mountain safety" group intended it to be bright and annoying. It's just that reason (the color) that I never bought one (ended up getting an REI halfdome instead; this was several years ago, now they've redesigned both tents).

                  Now that I've switched to hammocks I'm really getting to appreciate the ability to camouflage myself with my surroundings (without having to resort to something like a debris hut!) with the camo. claytor I have (I'm making my wife a digital camo. hammock set up next week; i.e. tent and tarp).

                  I'm in southern WA State, so it's not as crowded over here as I imagine I can be over on the eastern seaboard. I've only been to Maine on the eastern side, so I don't really have any camping experience over there, but I've heard stories of oh-so-crowded-camp nightmares. I can't imagine being stuffed in a camp with a bunch of other campers as if I were but one sardine in a tightly sealed can filled with hundreds more. I go to the woods for peace, love of nature, and the joy of absolute freedom, so I wouldn't be caught dead in a sardine-scenario.

                  Recent research has shown that our brightly colored tents and the noises we make (bells, whistles, etc.) are more likely to attract the curiosity of bears than to repel them. So, the *new* advice the "experts" are telling us is that we should be aware (duh!) of our surroundings and to keep as low a profile as possible. So all this brightly colored stuff is not only an eyesore for other campers to see if it were a constant use item, but bears could quite possibly be attracted to check you out because of it!!

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                    I just finished dismantling a couch today using my kukri machete. A few weeks ago, we had a bad windstorm here and half of this large birch tree near my building was downed. I had my brother come over and we both took that tree down (was probably only 15 feet long and about 8" at its largest diameter) in a 1/2 hour using our kukri machetes. The key with these things is getting that good starting edge...the way we sharpen them the metal behind the edge helps support the edge integrity and requires less resharpening, and just getting used to the 'crooked shape' of the blade; since we've had a bit of practice, that tree melted like butter.

                    After dismantling that couch, though, my edge needs a little restoration (metal pins, staples, screws and springs all over that thing!), but the straight edge (nearest the handle) still easily cut off the upholstry. I was doubtful at first, but now that I've used these, I think they've got to be the handiest tool I've used.

                    I've yet to try the woodsman, but I've seen it and they look like they would perform in the same way and for the same reason (more metal on the end giving it a weight forward profile).

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                      Interesting note on sheath knives. Sorry for the topic wandering a
                      little from hammocks.

                      Despite the current lack of conventional favorable words for sheath
                      knives, I find that the one I carry is the most used item in my kit. I
                      probably have a dozen great folders, but for one daily task, the
                      non-folder is head and shoulders better: For splitting small wood for a
                      campfire. Especially when wood is wet, fires are so much easier to start
                      when I split up a 1 inch diameter stick into a bunch of little splits.

                      The way I do the splitting is to hold the edge of the knife at the end
                      of the stick. I hit the back of the knife with another stick, used as a
                      mallet. Once the knife is cutting through the stick, I hold onto the
                      handle and hit the back of the blade near the point. That causes a lot
                      of bending stress at the joint for a folder.

                      When I have done this with folding knives with a locking mechanism, they
                      have sometimes broken or jammed.

                      I wonder when the BSA became unfavorable toward sheath knives. One of my
                      treasured possessions is the BSA sheath knife that my father used for a
                      short time when he was a child. The knife still works great, though I
                      replaced the sheath several years ago.

                      BTW, I usually carry my sheath knife with its sheath on a leather shoe
                      string around my neck as a pendant. The knife is always handy, does not
                      get snagged on brush, and is not intimidating to folks.

                      Recently, my favorite knives have been Mora knives made in Europe. They
                      are cheap, strong, and light. It comes with a sturdy plastic sheath
                      which I cover with a light leather sheath. That way, the knife will not
                      go sticking me in the ribs if I fall.

                      I even sleep with the knife. On my website, I report a bleak November
                      night when I was working out the concept of the travel pod. I woke in
                      the dark and had some fear that I would not be able to unfasten all the
                      buttons I had used to close the travel pod in that tight prototype. (I
                      now use a looser fit and a zipper) I felt a little claustrophobic and
                      wished that I was carrying something to help me escape. Result: I sleep
                      in my hammock with a chest sheathed knife all the time. Added
                      advantage: If I get turned out of my campsite in the middle of the night
                      by Zombies, at least I will have a useful tool to begin the survival
                      process.

                      How did I use a knife this last weekend camping? I made a couple hiking
                      sticks. I made three fires using the method described above. I made some
                      toothpicks. I made a hook to take the top off my pot. I made some
                      chopsticks when I was offered some hot noodles on a cold morning. I made
                      some "match sticks" by splitting some dry wood and then dipping the end
                      of the match stick sized split in the melted wax of a candle and then
                      lighting the wax. This is a great way to start of fire and it gives me
                      an infinite number of "matches" once my candle gets started.

                      Enough rambling. BSA and sheath knives. Who would have ever guessed?

                      BTW, I never carry an axe or a hatchet. I often carry a very lightweight
                      retractable saw made by Gerber. I think it is a great buy for about $10.

                      Risk

                      thomassen_ralph wrote:
                      > Hey Rosaleen,
                      > For scouts to earn their Totin' Chip they have to be able to feed and
                      > care for axes, hatchets, saws, and, folding knives. The only thing I
                      > know that the scouts seriously frown on are fixed blade knives. The
                      > reason being is that they are harder to secure. Not knowing what type
                      > of trail improvement we will have to do we will most likely carry all
                      > 3 items. Be Prepared right?? I was just tbrainstorming on a way to
                      > cut down weight. One of those kukri style machetes wood be nice. I
                      > have tried the woodsman pal and it is sweet!!
                      > Thanks Rosaleen!!
                      >> Hey, Ralph-
                      >>
                      >> Before you make plans to have your Scouts carry hatchets, check
                      > the "Guide
                      >> to Safe Scouting" and instructions for using wood tools.
                      > (Was "Totenship" a
                      >> card kids earned?) It's been quite a few years, but I think it was
                      > against
                      >> policy for my Scouts to use hatchets, and small axes had to be used
                      > in
                      >> well-prescribed circumstances. We were encouraged to stick with
                      > saws, and
                      >> used a small axe or maybe a hatchet only for splitting wood using
                      > the
                      >> "contact method." A (folding) Sven saw wasn't too bad to carry,
                      > especially
                      >> when weight could be divvied up. Maintainers that come upon seem
                      > to use
                      >> saws, and nippers quite a bit.
                      >>
                      >> Rosaleen
                      >> (SNIP)
                      >> Has anyone experience with light weight shovels, bow saws, and/or
                      >> hatchets. We have to do a conservation/trail improvement project on
                      >> our 50 miles hike to earn the badge. This is not something a hiker
                      >> would normally carry, but we will have to tote it.
                      >> Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
                      >> Troop 14 Griffin, GA

                    • v1800list
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                        I see orange trash bags all the time. Road crews use them to pick up
                        trash and leave them on the side of the road. Easy to spot when the
                        trucks come along to pick them up.

                        We used to get a box of them to use when my troop had an "Adopt a Mile"
                        section.
                      • thomassen_ralph
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                          >Hey Risk,

                          I agree with you on the utility of a heavy fixed blade knife. I have
                          several very nice tactical folders, but no way would I bang on them
                          with a limb. I would jsut break the mechanism. And, without going in
                          to details, anyone with a back ground in hunting will tell that a
                          good skinner is essential. But, I tihnk one of the reasons the BSA
                          advocates using a folding knife is the fact they are more secure, and
                          there is lesschance of an accident in a fall. Atleast that is what I
                          was told and have read. That being said, I fell out of a climbing
                          deer stand with a Buck G96 on my hip. I landed on my side and had a
                          huge bruise and cut on my leg. Thanks to Buck who makes pretty sturdy
                          sheathes (and knives) the knife did not pentrate the sheath. If it
                          had, I could have been in trouble. Has anyone ever had a folder open
                          up in a simlar circumstance??

                          Oh, sorry to get off topic. Hammocks, lets see..... My daugthers just
                          bought some camo cloth with a butterfly print. Too cute, huh??
                          Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
                          Troop 14 Griffin, Ga

                        • pure mahem
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                            I've had a folder work it's way out of my pocket while in my truck and slide down between the seats. I thought no big deal just reach down and grab it. Sliced my freaking finger to the bone it had opened up.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 22, 2008
                              Hey, Ralph-

                              Rosaleen here, again.

                              Just take a look at the Guide to Safe Scouting as you make plans for you
                              Troop. Then weigh that info against what you choose to do. If you stay
                              within the guidelnes, file the trip paperwork, and then have an accident,
                              you can use the BSA's insurance. No paperwork, insurance can be denied.
                              Same for not following the Guide. After the movie, Rambo, came out, my son
                              wanted one of the big knives with the saw, etc., inside. He was a pretty
                              responsible kid, so we got him one. The we found out they weren't allowed
                              for Scout outings. Now I wouldn't carry it because it is too heavy.

                              Rosaleen

                              Re: Orange trash bags.
                              Posted by: "thomassen_ralph" thomassen_ralph@... thomassen_ralph