Knots to use for hammock camping

  • sjedwardson
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 20, 2008
      I have recently returned from a very successful camping trip but as I
      don't often get to go my knot work was, if you'll pardon the pun, a
      little ropey. I was able to remember the taught line hitch for the
      guys and the Siberian hitch for one end of the ridge line but for the
      life of me i cannot remember the way to finish the other end of the
      ridge. I was wrapping the cord around the tree, back over itself and
      tightening the line wrap after wrap. The problem is i cannot remember
      how to loop the rope through itself to finish it off and make it easy
      to release when I strike camp. If anyone has managed to get to the
      end of this and is not completely confused then I would appreciate it
      if you could point me in the direction of a good website, pdf file or
      if you feel you can explain how to do it that would also be great. By
      the way, I'm not sure if the name for the fist knot (Siberian hitch)
      is correct so please feel free to correct me on that as well if
      needed. Once again thanks for reading and I look forward to any replies.

      Sam
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 21, 2008
        If you wrap the rope around the tree clockwise, loop it around the rope
        leading to the hammock and wrap around the tree counter-clockwise, and
        loop around the rope and back around the tree clockwise--anyway, if you
        do this 2-3 times, all you need to finish off are two half half hitches.

        You'll enjoy this site: <http://www.animatedknots.com/>.

        You'll find a nice picture of your Siberian Hitch (a quick-release
        bowline) on wikipedia.

        Before tree-huggers, I always used a clove hitch around the tree,
        finishing off with two half-hitches around the rope (i.e. mooring a
        hammock really isn't that much different from mooring a boat). Since I
        started using tree huggers, the only knots I use with my hammock are the
        butterfly knot and the taunt-line hitch. Really, all I need is the
        taunt-line hitch, but I quickly learned a loop is handy and a butterfly
        knot is a whole lot easier to untie than a figure-eight on a bight. One
        summer I had to shorten my 9 foot hammock to 7 feet, and found the
        Klemheist very handy for that.

        CL
      • sjedwardson
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 22, 2008
          Thanks for the reply. Just one final question. Whats a two half half
          hitch?

          Thanks again

          sam

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
          <cara.lin@...> wrote:

          > If you wrap the rope around the tree clockwise, loop it around the rope
          > leading to the hammock and wrap around the tree counter-clockwise, and
          > loop around the rope and back around the tree clockwise--anyway, if you
          > do this 2-3 times, all you need to finish off are two half half hitches.
          >
          > You'll enjoy this site: <http://www.animatedknots.com/>.
          >
          > You'll find a nice picture of your Siberian Hitch (a quick-release
          > bowline) on wikipedia.
          >
          > Before tree-huggers, I always used a clove hitch around the tree,
          > finishing off with two half-hitches around the rope (i.e. mooring a
          > hammock really isn't that much different from mooring a boat). Since I
          > started using tree huggers, the only knots I use with my hammock are
          the
          > butterfly knot and the taunt-line hitch. Really, all I need is the
          > taunt-line hitch, but I quickly learned a loop is handy and a butterfly
          > knot is a whole lot easier to untie than a figure-eight on a bight.
          One
          > summer I had to shorten my 9 foot hammock to 7 feet, and found the
          > Klemheist very handy for that.
          >
          > CL

        • mrbyer
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 22, 2008
            try here: http://iwillknot.com/two_half-hitches/

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson"
            <sam.edwardson@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the reply. Just one final question. Whats a two half half
            > hitch?
            >
            > Thanks again
            >
            > sam
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
            > <cara.lin@> wrote:
            > >
            > > If you wrap the rope around the tree clockwise, loop it around the
            rope
            > > leading to the hammock and wrap around the tree counter-clockwise,
            and
            > > loop around the rope and back around the tree clockwise--anyway,
            if you
            > > do this 2-3 times, all you need to finish off are two half half
            hitches.

            > > You'll enjoy this site: <http://www.animatedknots.com/>.
            > >
            > > You'll find a nice picture of your Siberian Hitch (a quick-release
            > > bowline) on wikipedia.
            > >
            > > Before tree-huggers, I always used a clove hitch around the tree,
            > > finishing off with two half-hitches around the rope (i.e. mooring a
            > > hammock really isn't that much different from mooring a boat).
            Since I
            > > started using tree huggers, the only knots I use with my hammock are
            > the
            > > butterfly knot and the taunt-line hitch. Really, all I need is the
            > > taunt-line hitch, but I quickly learned a loop is handy and a
            butterfly
            > > knot is a whole lot easier to untie than a figure-eight on a bight.
            > One
            > > summer I had to shorten my 9 foot hammock to 7 feet, and found the
            > > Klemheist very handy for that.
            > >
            > > CL

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 22, 2008
              Sorry--I typed in too many halves...

              Two half-hitches.

              So, mmrbyer's link is what you need:

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 24, 2008
                Thanks for the replies. Ive managed to find the knot that I want to
                tie, and annoyingly enough it was in a book I own by Ray Mears. He
                simply names it as a tarp taut hitch. Whats even more annoying is
                that I still cannot seem to master this from the simple drawings on
                the page! Does anyone know if this knot has another name and that I
                can find another instruction on how to tie it. Or even if anyone
                knows this knot and can instruct me on how to tie it i would be
                greatly appreciative. The knot is in Ray Mears Essential Bushcraft,
                pg 137.

                Once again thanks for all your help

                <cara.lin@...> wrote:

                > Sorry--I typed in too many halves...
                >
                > Two half-hitches.
                >
                > So, mmrbyer's link is what you need:
                > <http://iwillknot.com/two_half-hitches/>.
                >
                > CL
                >
                > sjedwardson wrote:
                > > Thanks for the reply. Just one final question. Whats a two half half
                > > hitch?
                > >
                > > Thanks again
                > >
                > > sam
                > >
                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
                > > <cara.lin@> wrote:
                > >> If you wrap the rope around the tree clockwise, loop it around
                the rope
                > >> leading to the hammock and wrap around the tree
                counter-clockwise, and
                > >> loop around the rope and back around the tree clockwise--anyway,
                if you
                > >> do this 2-3 times, all you need to finish off are two half half
                hitches.

                > >> You'll enjoy this site: <http://www.animatedknots.com/>.

              • Arye P. R.
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 24, 2008
                  Try this

                  <http://www.outdooridiots.com/features/200606/pitchingatarp/pitchingatarp4.asp>

                  Sapere Aude,

                  Arye P. Rubenstein

                  <cara.lin@.. .> wrote:

                  > Sorry--I typed in too many halves...
                  >
                  > Two half-hitches.
                  >
                  > So, mmrbyer's link is what you need:
                  > <http://iwillknot. com/two_half- hitches/>.
                  >
                  > CL
                  >
                  > sjedwardson wrote:
                  > > Thanks for the reply. Just one final question. Whats a two half half
                  > > hitch?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks again
                  > >
                  > > sam
                  > >
                  > > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, Cara Lin Bridgman
                  > > <cara.lin@> wrote:
                  > >> If you wrap the rope around the tree clockwise, loop it around
                  the rope
                  > >> leading to the hammock and wrap around the tree
                  counter-clockwise, and
                  > >> loop around the rope and back around the tree clockwise--anyway,
                  if you
                  > >> do this 2-3 times, all you need to finish off are two half half
                  hitches.

                  > >> You'll enjoy this site: <http://www.animated knots.com/>.

                • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 24, 2008
                    I don't have the book, but perhaps you mean a taut-line hitch? It's
                    shown on http://www.animatedknots.com/

                    I think of it this way.

                    Pass the line around the tree and bring it back so the free end crosses
                    over the line.

                    Now you're going to wrap the free end around the line three times, all
                    in the same direction.

                    But the first two wraps have to happen behind the crossover point (i.e.
                    closer to the tree than the tarp).

                    The third wrap happens in front of the crossover point, and the free end
                    gets tucked inside this last wrap.

                    Bear

                  • pure mahem
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 24, 2008
                      If its the one I've seen him tie on his videos he uses a siberian hitch and a truckers hitch. You should have good luck with a search on those knots.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 26, 2008
                        Add more wraps 'behind the crossover point' if the rope tends to slip.
                        I usually do 4-5, then I tuck the free end in as a quick release.

                        On my Hennessey Hammock, with it's slick rope, I wrap around the tree,
                        back through the alpine butterfly loop and then tie the taunt-line
                        hitch. This holds better, slips less, and is easier to undo.

                        CL