Orange trash bags.

  • Linda Ellis
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 20, 2008
      Was it on this list that, a few months ago, we were talking about carrying bright orange trash bags along? Trash bags can serve many more purposes than just trash hauling. In a pinch, it can be a makeshift poncho or rainfly. It can protect gear from getting wet. You can use it to collect water, even making a solar still if need be. The bright orange ones can also be used to signal for help!

      Don't you carry an emergency kit with you on every hike? I'd bet the Scouts are taught to do that. Adding an orange trash bag or two adds no weight, takes very little space, and helps resolve a number of little crises.

      Linda
      The Truly Educated Never Graduate

      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 20, 2008
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Linda Ellis <lellis4563@...>
        wrote:
        I can't recall ever seeing orange trash bags. I think it would make
        collecting trash feel jsut like Trick or Treating. Ok, maybe not that
        fun, but it does feel good to clean up Mother Nature . Great idea
        though!!. I have just been stealing the ones my wife buys for around
        the house. I will look for them on my next WallyWorld trip.
        Thanks Linda.
        Has anyone experience with light weight shovels, bow saws, and/or
        hatchets. We have to do a conservation/trail improvement project on
        our 50 miles hike to earn the badge. This is not something a hiker
        would normally carry, but we will have to tote it.
        Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
        Troop 14 Griffin, GA

        > Was it on this list that, a few months ago, we were talking about
        carrying bright orange trash bags along? Trash bags can serve many
        more purposes than just trash hauling. In a pinch, it can be a
        makeshift poncho or rainfly. It can protect gear from getting wet.
        You can use it to collect water, even making a solar still if need
        be. The bright orange ones can also be used to signal for help!

        > Don't you carry an emergency kit with you on every hike? I'd bet
        the Scouts are taught to do that. Adding an orange trash bag or two
        adds no weight, takes very little space, and helps resolve a number
        of little crises.

        > Linda
        > The Truly Educated Never Graduate

      • pure mahem
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 20, 2008
          The kukri is a pretty useful tool for doing trail maintenance. It's like a cross between a machete and a hatchet.

          I can't recall ever seeing orange trash bags. I think it would make
          collecting trash feel jsut like Trick or Treating. Ok, maybe not that
          fun, but it does feel good to clean up Mother Nature . Great idea
          though!!. I have just been stealing the ones my wife buys for around
          the house. I will look for them on my next WallyWorld trip.
          Thanks Linda.
          Has anyone experience with light weight shovels, bow saws, and/or
          hatchets. We have to do a conservation/ trail improvement project on
          our 50 miles hike to earn the badge. This is not something a hiker
          would normally carry, but we will have to tote it.
          Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
          Troop 14 Griffin, GA

          > Was it on this list that, a few months ago, we were talking about
          carrying bright orange trash bags along? Trash bags can serve many
          more purposes than just trash hauling. In a pinch, it can be a
          makeshift poncho or rainfly. It can protect gear from getting wet.
          You can use it to collect water, even making a solar still if need
          be. The bright orange ones can also be used to signal for help!

          > Don't you carry an emergency kit with you on every hike? I'd bet
          the Scouts are taught to do that. Adding an orange trash bag or two
          adds no weight, takes very little space, and helps resolve a number
          of little crises.

          > Linda
          > The Truly Educated Never Graduate

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 20, 2008
            Has anyone experience with light weight shovels, bow saws, and/or
            hatchets. We have to do a conservation/trail improvement project on
            our 50 miles hike to earn the badge. This is not something a hiker
            would normally carry, but we will have to tote it.
            Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
            Troop 14 Griffin, GA

            Do the project near one end or the other of the hike. Or rendevous with a
            supply truck at the project site.
            Limited carry.
            I usually use a sheet rock saw as a light weight easy to carry saw.
            Slip the blade into a chunk of old garden hose.

            Ralph

          • Tom Frazier
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 20, 2008
              Tothewoods has plans/info. on a raincover that can also be used as a tarp, a gear hammock, a rain collector, water bag, etc.

              http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearPackCoverGearHammock.html

              Eliminates having to bring a limited-use (and easy to puncture) plastic bag.

              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                The kukri is one of the *main* tools I like to bring camping with me. I bought a $20 high carbon Coldsteel kukri machete ( http://csstoreonline.stores.yahoo.net/97kms.html )...it was available from my local Sportsmen's Warehouse.

                Word of warning, though: this is a great tool, but it comes with a dull and very poor factory edge. I removed the black epoxy coating (to help reduce resistance when cutting), filed the back of the blade smooth (it has a rough, uneven edge), added about 1" of a false edge on the backside of the tip, added a notch on the edge near the handle, and tapered the blade's edge very gradually from a point to the back with no apparent transition (unlike what you commonly see on many other knives).

                In my experience, the edge holds very well, it replaces larger hatchets in performance, can be used as a knife or a drawknife, depending upon where and how you are using it, and most importantly, it's light (16oz.) and it's *cheap.*

                The kukri is a pretty useful tool for doing trail maintenance. It's like a cross between a machete and a hatchet.

                I can't recall ever seeing orange trash bags. I think it would make
                collecting trash feel jsut like Trick or Treating. Ok, maybe not that
                fun, but it does feel good to clean up Mother Nature . Great idea
                though!!. I have just been stealing the ones my wife buys for around
                the house. I will look for them on my next WallyWorld trip.
                Thanks Linda.
                Has anyone experience with light weight shovels, bow saws, and/or
                hatchets. We have to do a conservation/ trail improvement project on
                our 50 miles hike to earn the badge. This is not something a hiker
                would normally carry, but we will have to tote it.
                Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
                Troop 14 Griffin, GA

                > Was it on this list that, a few months ago, we were talking about
                carrying bright orange trash bags along? Trash bags can serve many
                more purposes than just trash hauling. In a pinch, it can be a
                makeshift poncho or rainfly. It can protect gear from getting wet.
                You can use it to collect water, even making a solar still if need
                be. The bright orange ones can also be used to signal for help!

                > Don't you carry an emergency kit with you on every hike? I'd bet
                the Scouts are taught to do that. Adding an orange trash bag or two
                adds no weight, takes very little space, and helps resolve a number
                of little crises.

                > Linda
                > The Truly Educated Never Graduate

              • Tom Frazier
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                  Personally, I really don't see that much difference between foldable saws. If you look at a poorly made one, you should be able to see the flaws and, listening to your inner voice, don't purchase it. Though, I've owned many inexpensive, and some from some of the more reputable companies (like Gerber's saw), folding saws and they've all worked like they were supposed to.

                  In terms of saws, though, I'd like to try one of those folding frame-saws as it seems to me that they would last longer, especially considering that I can buy extra blades to replace broken or dull blades...something that's harder, depending upon model, to do with the usual folding saw.

                  Shovels: I got a Gerber Gorge shovel and it's "OK", but it really depends upon what you want to do with it. Personally, I think it's really heavy (about 24oz.)...it's certainly one of the more heavier and dense things in my pack. I got it for the built-in tent stake hammer as well as the shovel part. It was useful for digging into a snow bank and a few other minor stuff; the handle actually popped off a few times. If I had to do it again, and considering how heavy this small one was, I'd get the bigger Gerber shovel they offer.

                  I used to bring hatchets with me, but have since adopted the use of Coldsteel's kukri machete. It's lighter and, with the edge sharpened and the black epoxy coating removed (my preference for reduced cutting resistance) more efficient than any hatchet or light axe I've used. After the initial sharpening (removal of the dull factory edge), I've only had to sharpen it once or twice in the last year that I've been using it regularly.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                    Actually, finding orange trash bags will be easier around Halloween - they sell them with Jack-o-Lantern faces on them. You fill them with leaves, and voila! A Halloween decoration.

                    I've been trying to find them in stores, but it seems they are mostly used by county highway departments. Around here, they send workers out to pick up trash along the highway, and the filled orange bags are left by the side of the road. A truck then comes along and picks up the bags. You can order orange trash bags online.

                    Linda
                    The Truly Educated Never Graduate

                    I can't recall ever seeing orange trash bags. I think it would make
                    collecting trash feel jsut like Trick or Treating. Ok, maybe not that
                    fun, but it does feel good to clean up Mother Nature . Great idea
                    though!!. I have just been stealing the ones my wife buys for around
                    the house. I will look for them on my next WallyWorld trip.
                    Thanks Linda.
                    Has anyone experience with light weight shovels, bow saws, and/or
                    hatchets. We have to do a conservation/ trail improvement project on
                    our 50 miles hike to earn the badge. This is not something a hiker
                    would normally carry, but we will have to tote it.
                    Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
                    Troop 14 Griffin, GA

                    > Was it on this list that, a few months ago, we were talking about
                    carrying bright orange trash bags along? Trash bags can serve many
                    more purposes than just trash hauling. In a pinch, it can be a
                    makeshift poncho or rainfly. It can protect gear from getting wet.
                    You can use it to collect water, even making a solar still if need
                    be. The bright orange ones can also be used to signal for help!

                    > Don't you carry an emergency kit with you on every hike? I'd bet
                    the Scouts are taught to do that. Adding an orange trash bag or two
                    adds no weight, takes very little space, and helps resolve a number
                    of little crises.

                    > Linda
                    > The Truly Educated Never Graduate

                  • Linda Ellis
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                      Tothewoods has plans/info. on a raincover that can also be used as a tarp, a gear hammock, a rain collector, water bag, etc.
                      http://www.tothewoo ds.net/HomemadeG earPackCoverGear Hammock.html
                      Eliminates having to bring a limited-use (and easy to puncture) plastic bag.

                      Tom, don't you carry garbage bags to remove your waste? Certainly, one can take along as much gear as you wish to carry, but pack weight is always an issue. I've seen people cut off half the handle of their toothbrush to save weight!
                      In my opinion, nobody should take off for even a morning hike without a trash bag or two on their person. It's useful for trash collection, certainly, but in an emergency, we should all remember the usefulness of every basic item we carry for "non-traditional" purposes. If we think carefully about the multiple ways each item, we can reduce our pack weight considerably.Recent Activity
                      10New Members
                      12New Photos
                      Visit Your Group
                      Y! Sports for TV
                      Game Day Companion
                      Live fantasy league
                      & game stats on TV.
                      Yahoo! Groups
                      Wellness Spot
                      A resource for living
                      the Curves lifestyle.
                      Cat Groups
                      on Yahoo! Groups
                      discuss everything
                      related to cats..

                    • Mark A. Andrews
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                        A bright orange trash bag can help in an emergency, but please don't use
                        one as a regular part of your gear (poncho, rainfly, solar still).

                        One of the principles of Leave No Trace camping is "Be Respectful of
                        Other Visitors". No one likes to see orange specs dotting the back
                        country (or the front country for that matter). Imagine walking along
                        the trail and seeing bright orange rainfly's throughout the landscape.
                        At first, it would be humorous, then it would just get old.

                        For an emergency poncho, grab one that costs $1.00 at your local
                        discount store. It will be lighter than a garbage bag and is usually
                        clear. For a solar still, you really need a clear sheet of plastic,
                        which you now have as your emergency poncho. You can also use it for a
                        makeshift rainfly and it's not as likely to be noticed by other visitors
                        on the trail.

                        Sometimes being highly visible is not a good thing. Sometimes others
                        don't want to see you and sometimes you don't want to be seen.

                        Mark Andrews
                        Scoutmaster, Troop 219
                        Leave No Trace Trainer
                        Tree Hugger (hammock, that is)

                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                            Re: Orange trash bags.
                            Posted by: "thomassen_ralph" thomassen_ralph@... thomassen_ralph
                            Date: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:35 pm ((PDT))

                            Hey, Ralph-

                            Before you make plans to have your Scouts carry hatchets, check the "Guide
                            to Safe Scouting" and instructions for using wood tools. (Was "Totenship" a
                            card kids earned?) It's been quite a few years, but I think it was against
                            policy for my Scouts to use hatchets, and small axes had to be used in
                            well-prescribed circumstances. We were encouraged to stick with saws, and
                            used a small axe or maybe a hatchet only for splitting wood using the
                            "contact method." A (folding) Sven saw wasn't too bad to carry, especially
                            when weight could be divvied up. Maintainers that come upon seem to use
                            saws, and nippers quite a bit.

                            Rosaleen
                            (SNIP)
                            Has anyone experience with light weight shovels, bow saws, and/or
                            hatchets. We have to do a conservation/trail improvement project on
                            our 50 miles hike to earn the badge. This is not something a hiker
                            would normally carry, but we will have to tote it.
                            Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
                            Troop 14 Griffin, GA
                          • eg_wilks
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                              Regarding wood cutting tools for backpacking. I used to carry a type
                              of machete that was used to cut sugar cane in Central America. It
                              had a short wide blade, squared-off end and a type of hook on the
                              back. That machete was made by Collins somewhere in Central America
                              and would do everything from pull dutch ovens from the fire (the
                              hook, had no edge on it), flip pancakes like a spatula (was wide
                              enough) and cut just about any small brush or sticks you'd need.
                              That thing had good steel and would keep an edge.

                              More recently I carry a type of brush hook made by Gerber. It has
                              kind of a hawk-bill shape and a long handle. I covered the handle in
                              suede so it won't slip in my hands. The brush hook has a stainless
                              blade and will really keep an edge. I hone it on a buffing wheel
                              with honing abrasive. Puts a razor edge with a mirror sheen on it.
                              The brush hook is lighter than a machete and easier to carry. It's
                              not sold with a very good sheath so I made one out of heavy leather.

                              Saws: I like the small folding saw made by Felco. It's made with a
                              Japanese type blade that cuts on the pull stroke. Very sharp in
                              stainless steel. I've used mine for several years and it will still
                              outcut any bowsaw. It folds like a pocketknife, probably about 10
                              inches long and will fit in your pocket with ease. Has a locking
                              blade. Very light as well. It's a cuttin' machine. Enjoy.

                              EW

                              > Personally, I really don't see that much difference between
                              foldable saws. If you look at a poorly made one, you should be able
                              to see the flaws and, listening to your inner voice, don't purchase
                              it. Though, I've owned many inexpensive, and some from some of the
                              more reputable companies (like Gerber's saw), folding saws and
                              they've all worked like they were supposed to.

                              > In terms of saws, though, I'd like to try one of those folding
                              frame-saws as it seems to me that they would last longer, especially
                              considering that I can buy extra blades to replace broken or dull
                              blades...something that's harder, depending upon model, to do with
                              the usual folding saw.

                              > Shovels: I got a Gerber Gorge shovel and it's "OK", but it really
                              depends upon what you want to do with it. Personally, I think it's
                              really heavy (about 24oz.)...it's certainly one of the more heavier
                              and dense things in my pack. I got it for the built-in tent stake
                              hammer as well as the shovel part. It was useful for digging into a
                              snow bank and a few other minor stuff; the handle actually popped off
                              a few times. If I had to do it again, and considering how heavy this
                              small one was, I'd get the bigger Gerber shovel they offer.

                              > I used to bring hatchets with me, but have since adopted the use of
                              Coldsteel's kukri machete. It's lighter and, with the edge sharpened
                              and the black epoxy coating removed (my preference for reduced
                              cutting resistance) more efficient than any hatchet or light axe I've
                              used. After the initial sharpening (removal of the dull factory
                              edge), I've only had to sharpen it once or twice in the last year
                              that I've been using it regularly.

                              4/19/2008 11:31 AM

                            • Steve
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                                From a practical point of view, saws will be more effective than axes
                                that are usually not sharp enough. Without proper training and
                                maintenance, axes and machetes are more trouble than they're worth.
                                Which is not to say that Scouts shouldn't be trained, and encouraged
                                to use axes. It is my belief that a properly maintained and used
                                hand axe is the only edged tool that you need in the woods. It'll do
                                everything, including shave your face (if you sharpen it right) that
                                you need. BUT, very few people maintain, or use these tools right.

                                The Totin' Chip badge used to be required in my troop before you
                                could take an axe, or even a pocket knife on a campout. Of course,
                                this assumes the ScoutMaster or other instructor knows what he's
                                doing in terms of sharpening, storing, carrying and using these
                                potentially dangerous tools. And when to use them. Like not on
                                standing trees, for instance. Even given training by real experts
                                (one of my ScoutMasters was a lumberjack, with great respect for
                                tools) I've got some scars on my hands that I got 45 years ago :)

                                Do be careful. Err on the side of caution.

                                Steve B.
                                Maryland
                              • Tom Frazier
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                                  I might not be your typical "camper", in terms of being in the woods. I'm very comfy there, considering I've spent about 15 years learning and practicing primitive survival skills (and have been runing the 'primitive' yahoo group for around 8 years now). I really don't need any equipment, as I carried only a swiss army knife and a mag. fire starter for many years before I started to collect "backpacking" gear.

                                  In the last five years, I've become more comfort oriented and explored (by using) the typical "backpacking" equipment (as opposed to heavier "car camping equipment). I used a frame pack (multi-use for me, since I can use it to haul out meat from sucessful hunts too) and most of the gear I'm still using. Now that I've discovered hammock camping, I've been able to literally shave pounds off my weight (from a camp-comfy 50 pounds to a current 14 pound UL weight) and I changed the kind of pack I'm using. It's a good middle ground for me so far.

                                  The places I like to camp at are very typically off the beaten path. I tend to get into an area as far as I can, park my vehicle, then seek out deer trails to follow into the field and brush. Where I'm at, I have about 100k acres of relatively unknown backcountry (meaning, only determined individuals go very far into it) to play around in.

                                  I usually do bring grocery bags with me (I have so many saved up!)...not necessarily for trash, but for things like dirty/sweaty clothes, to tie my shoes up for the night, etc. If I do have some trash, it's very, very little. I've been at this for over 15 years now and I still haven't had enough trash to fill more than just one typical grocery bag---and this is even when I've camped with my family (two kids and my wife) and my brother. I bring either freeze-dried camper MRE-style meals, or simple dehydrated meals that I have to prep. and cook myself.

                                  As to cutting down toothbrushes...I first read about that in Jardine's UL camping book, but thus far the only handle I've cut is the handle to my rubber spatula, simply because it didn't fit inside my MSR 2L Titan.

                                  I like this raincover precisely for it's multipurpose design. I personally don't use any gravity water filter system (I use a heavy, but longer lasting, MSR ceramic filter), but this will work great as a raincover for my pack in the spring and fall (the two times where the rain is nearly constant here), and as a gear hammock to store my stuff off the ground (I'm not happy about getting dirt or mud on my pack! Eventually, it goes on my back again!)...

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                                    Wow! I didn't mean to generate hostility.

                                    Nowhere did I say that you shouldn't carry an orange trash bag. What I
                                    said (if you care to re-read the first line of my post) is that you
                                    should not use it as part of your everyday gear. My interpretation of
                                    "in a pinch". To me, that is not an emergency situtation, but rather an
                                    inconvenience.

                                    A apologize that I didn't make myself more clear. My fault.

                                    Last post, I promise.

                                    Mark

                                    Linda Ellis wrote:
> [...]
                                  • Richard Perlman
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                                      Steve wrote regarding the Boy Scout use of axes:
                                      > Do be careful. Err on the side of caution.
                                      My troop's leaders all agree. As a result, we don't use axes.

                                      But 3 of us do agree on hammocks! :-)

                                      Rich

                                    • thomassen_ralph
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                                        Hey Rosaleen,
                                        For scouts to earn their Totin' Chip they have to be able to feed and
                                        care for axes, hatchets, saws, and, folding knives. The only thing I
                                        know that the scouts seriously frown on are fixed blade knives. The
                                        reason being is that they are harder to secure. Not knowing what type
                                        of trail improvement we will have to do we will most likely carry all
                                        3 items. Be Prepared right?? I was just tbrainstorming on a way to
                                        cut down weight. One of those kukri style machetes wood be nice. I
                                        have tried the woodsman pal and it is sweet!!
                                        Thanks Rosaleen!!
                                        > Hey, Ralph-
                                        >
                                        > Before you make plans to have your Scouts carry hatchets, check
                                        the "Guide
                                        > to Safe Scouting" and instructions for using wood tools.
                                        (Was "Totenship" a
                                        > card kids earned?) It's been quite a few years, but I think it was
                                        against
                                        > policy for my Scouts to use hatchets, and small axes had to be used
                                        in
                                        > well-prescribed circumstances. We were encouraged to stick with
                                        saws, and
                                        > used a small axe or maybe a hatchet only for splitting wood using
                                        the
                                        > "contact method." A (folding) Sven saw wasn't too bad to carry,
                                        especially
                                        > when weight could be divvied up. Maintainers that come upon seem
                                        to use
                                        > saws, and nippers quite a bit.
                                        >
                                        > Rosaleen
                                        > (SNIP)
                                        > Has anyone experience with light weight shovels, bow saws, and/or
                                        > hatchets. We have to do a conservation/trail improvement project on
                                        > our 50 miles hike to earn the badge. This is not something a hiker
                                        > would normally carry, but we will have to tote it.
                                        > Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
                                        > Troop 14 Griffin, GA

                                      • Tom Frazier
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                                          Orange tents...that's the bummer of my brother's MSR Hubba tent...it's all orange (not quite "blaze" orange, but close to it!)!! Though, I'm sure MSR, being a "mountain safety" group intended it to be bright and annoying. It's just that reason (the color) that I never bought one (ended up getting an REI halfdome instead; this was several years ago, now they've redesigned both tents).

                                          Now that I've switched to hammocks I'm really getting to appreciate the ability to camouflage myself with my surroundings (without having to resort to something like a debris hut!) with the camo. claytor I have (I'm making my wife a digital camo. hammock set up next week; i.e. tent and tarp).

                                          I'm in southern WA State, so it's not as crowded over here as I imagine I can be over on the eastern seaboard. I've only been to Maine on the eastern side, so I don't really have any camping experience over there, but I've heard stories of oh-so-crowded-camp nightmares. I can't imagine being stuffed in a camp with a bunch of other campers as if I were but one sardine in a tightly sealed can filled with hundreds more. I go to the woods for peace, love of nature, and the joy of absolute freedom, so I wouldn't be caught dead in a sardine-scenario.

                                          Recent research has shown that our brightly colored tents and the noises we make (bells, whistles, etc.) are more likely to attract the curiosity of bears than to repel them. So, the *new* advice the "experts" are telling us is that we should be aware (duh!) of our surroundings and to keep as low a profile as possible. So all this brightly colored stuff is not only an eyesore for other campers to see if it were a constant use item, but bears could quite possibly be attracted to check you out because of it!!

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                                            I just finished dismantling a couch today using my kukri machete. A few weeks ago, we had a bad windstorm here and half of this large birch tree near my building was downed. I had my brother come over and we both took that tree down (was probably only 15 feet long and about 8" at its largest diameter) in a 1/2 hour using our kukri machetes. The key with these things is getting that good starting edge...the way we sharpen them the metal behind the edge helps support the edge integrity and requires less resharpening, and just getting used to the 'crooked shape' of the blade; since we've had a bit of practice, that tree melted like butter.

                                            After dismantling that couch, though, my edge needs a little restoration (metal pins, staples, screws and springs all over that thing!), but the straight edge (nearest the handle) still easily cut off the upholstry. I was doubtful at first, but now that I've used these, I think they've got to be the handiest tool I've used.

                                            I've yet to try the woodsman, but I've seen it and they look like they would perform in the same way and for the same reason (more metal on the end giving it a weight forward profile).

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                                              Interesting note on sheath knives. Sorry for the topic wandering a
                                              little from hammocks.

                                              Despite the current lack of conventional favorable words for sheath
                                              knives, I find that the one I carry is the most used item in my kit. I
                                              probably have a dozen great folders, but for one daily task, the
                                              non-folder is head and shoulders better: For splitting small wood for a
                                              campfire. Especially when wood is wet, fires are so much easier to start
                                              when I split up a 1 inch diameter stick into a bunch of little splits.

                                              The way I do the splitting is to hold the edge of the knife at the end
                                              of the stick. I hit the back of the knife with another stick, used as a
                                              mallet. Once the knife is cutting through the stick, I hold onto the
                                              handle and hit the back of the blade near the point. That causes a lot
                                              of bending stress at the joint for a folder.

                                              When I have done this with folding knives with a locking mechanism, they
                                              have sometimes broken or jammed.

                                              I wonder when the BSA became unfavorable toward sheath knives. One of my
                                              treasured possessions is the BSA sheath knife that my father used for a
                                              short time when he was a child. The knife still works great, though I
                                              replaced the sheath several years ago.

                                              BTW, I usually carry my sheath knife with its sheath on a leather shoe
                                              string around my neck as a pendant. The knife is always handy, does not
                                              get snagged on brush, and is not intimidating to folks.

                                              Recently, my favorite knives have been Mora knives made in Europe. They
                                              are cheap, strong, and light. It comes with a sturdy plastic sheath
                                              which I cover with a light leather sheath. That way, the knife will not
                                              go sticking me in the ribs if I fall.

                                              I even sleep with the knife. On my website, I report a bleak November
                                              night when I was working out the concept of the travel pod. I woke in
                                              the dark and had some fear that I would not be able to unfasten all the
                                              buttons I had used to close the travel pod in that tight prototype. (I
                                              now use a looser fit and a zipper) I felt a little claustrophobic and
                                              wished that I was carrying something to help me escape. Result: I sleep
                                              in my hammock with a chest sheathed knife all the time. Added
                                              advantage: If I get turned out of my campsite in the middle of the night
                                              by Zombies, at least I will have a useful tool to begin the survival
                                              process.

                                              How did I use a knife this last weekend camping? I made a couple hiking
                                              sticks. I made three fires using the method described above. I made some
                                              toothpicks. I made a hook to take the top off my pot. I made some
                                              chopsticks when I was offered some hot noodles on a cold morning. I made
                                              some "match sticks" by splitting some dry wood and then dipping the end
                                              of the match stick sized split in the melted wax of a candle and then
                                              lighting the wax. This is a great way to start of fire and it gives me
                                              an infinite number of "matches" once my candle gets started.

                                              Enough rambling. BSA and sheath knives. Who would have ever guessed?

                                              BTW, I never carry an axe or a hatchet. I often carry a very lightweight
                                              retractable saw made by Gerber. I think it is a great buy for about $10.

                                              Risk

                                              thomassen_ralph wrote:
                                              > Hey Rosaleen,
                                              > For scouts to earn their Totin' Chip they have to be able to feed and
                                              > care for axes, hatchets, saws, and, folding knives. The only thing I
                                              > know that the scouts seriously frown on are fixed blade knives. The
                                              > reason being is that they are harder to secure. Not knowing what type
                                              > of trail improvement we will have to do we will most likely carry all
                                              > 3 items. Be Prepared right?? I was just tbrainstorming on a way to
                                              > cut down weight. One of those kukri style machetes wood be nice. I
                                              > have tried the woodsman pal and it is sweet!!
                                              > Thanks Rosaleen!!
                                              >> Hey, Ralph-
                                              >>
                                              >> Before you make plans to have your Scouts carry hatchets, check
                                              > the "Guide
                                              >> to Safe Scouting" and instructions for using wood tools.
                                              > (Was "Totenship" a
                                              >> card kids earned?) It's been quite a few years, but I think it was
                                              > against
                                              >> policy for my Scouts to use hatchets, and small axes had to be used
                                              > in
                                              >> well-prescribed circumstances. We were encouraged to stick with
                                              > saws, and
                                              >> used a small axe or maybe a hatchet only for splitting wood using
                                              > the
                                              >> "contact method." A (folding) Sven saw wasn't too bad to carry,
                                              > especially
                                              >> when weight could be divvied up. Maintainers that come upon seem
                                              > to use
                                              >> saws, and nippers quite a bit.
                                              >>
                                              >> Rosaleen
                                              >> (SNIP)
                                              >> Has anyone experience with light weight shovels, bow saws, and/or
                                              >> hatchets. We have to do a conservation/trail improvement project on
                                              >> our 50 miles hike to earn the badge. This is not something a hiker
                                              >> would normally carry, but we will have to tote it.
                                              >> Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
                                              >> Troop 14 Griffin, GA

                                            • v1800list
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                                                I see orange trash bags all the time. Road crews use them to pick up
                                                trash and leave them on the side of the road. Easy to spot when the
                                                trucks come along to pick them up.

                                                We used to get a box of them to use when my troop had an "Adopt a Mile"
                                                section.
                                              • thomassen_ralph
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                                                  >Hey Risk,

                                                  I agree with you on the utility of a heavy fixed blade knife. I have
                                                  several very nice tactical folders, but no way would I bang on them
                                                  with a limb. I would jsut break the mechanism. And, without going in
                                                  to details, anyone with a back ground in hunting will tell that a
                                                  good skinner is essential. But, I tihnk one of the reasons the BSA
                                                  advocates using a folding knife is the fact they are more secure, and
                                                  there is lesschance of an accident in a fall. Atleast that is what I
                                                  was told and have read. That being said, I fell out of a climbing
                                                  deer stand with a Buck G96 on my hip. I landed on my side and had a
                                                  huge bruise and cut on my leg. Thanks to Buck who makes pretty sturdy
                                                  sheathes (and knives) the knife did not pentrate the sheath. If it
                                                  had, I could have been in trouble. Has anyone ever had a folder open
                                                  up in a simlar circumstance??

                                                  Oh, sorry to get off topic. Hammocks, lets see..... My daugthers just
                                                  bought some camo cloth with a butterfly print. Too cute, huh??
                                                  Ralph, Chandler, and Jared
                                                  Troop 14 Griffin, Ga

                                                • pure mahem
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 21, 2008
                                                    I've had a folder work it's way out of my pocket while in my truck and slide down between the seats. I thought no big deal just reach down and grab it. Sliced my freaking finger to the bone it had opened up.

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 22, 2008
                                                      Hey, Ralph-

                                                      Rosaleen here, again.

                                                      Just take a look at the Guide to Safe Scouting as you make plans for you
                                                      Troop. Then weigh that info against what you choose to do. If you stay
                                                      within the guidelnes, file the trip paperwork, and then have an accident,
                                                      you can use the BSA's insurance. No paperwork, insurance can be denied.
                                                      Same for not following the Guide. After the movie, Rambo, came out, my son
                                                      wanted one of the big knives with the saw, etc., inside. He was a pretty
                                                      responsible kid, so we got him one. The we found out they weren't allowed
                                                      for Scout outings. Now I wouldn't carry it because it is too heavy.

                                                      Rosaleen