snakes and webbing, grosgrain

  • robi dawson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27, 2003
      youngblood,

      i forgot in my early post that i nearly stepped on a snake when hiking in Utah when i was 13 or so. same weekend some rock climber in Utah put his hand up on a ledge to pull himself up and got bit.. combined with silly movies this stuff scared the begeezus out of me....

      snakes in and of themselves are actually cool animals. would love to have a pet one.. but out in the wild i just nervous i might step on one....

      Webbing...

      donation one material wise arrived today... enough nylon for a hammock and maybe a fly or two kids sized hammocks, have to measure the kids/material....

      i went out to see what i could buy for guide lines and webbing... the only thing i could find webbing wise that holds more than 150 pounds is either very, very expensive, and about 1 inch... it holds up to a ton they say.. or stuff that is just over 1.75 inches and cheap. so i bought that but man does it seem bulky... could the thinner, costlier stuff prove to be that much more compact?

      what exactly is grosgrain? i need to come up with sg for the fly - could it be left out? i assume that would jeopardize durability of the fly....

      now all i got to do is find a sewing machine to use or sew by hand.... and i want to sleep in this thing tomorrow...
      At 12:35 PM 6/27/03 +0000, you wrote:
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...>
      wrote:
      > younblood.
      >
      > i checked out the snakes... cool.. i could not see it in the first
      picture
      > but the second two, nice... of course i am always nervous around
      snakes...
      > too many silly movies when i ws a kid i guess....
      >
      > thanks for the pictures.
      >
      > robi

      Thanks Robie.  In the first picture, he is hard to spot but he is in
      the center of the photo.  It is a good thing to be a little nervous
      around snakes, especially ones like this.  However, they are not
      monsters out to 'get you', they are really quite beautiful if you are
      not extemely afraid of them.  I worry about them a little more than I
      did before I started using a hammock, since I seem to spend a little
      more time in the brush.  With a hammock I usually set up where tents
      have not been and in the southeast that pretty much means low
      brush/grassy areas during leaf-out season.

      Youngblood

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      1e43790.jpg
      1e43835.jpg