Re: [Hammock Camping] Newbie with a Question

  • C C Wayah
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19, 2008
      Chevy
      there is micro stuff that gets out stink in hiker stuff.

      I don't have the name of it handy right now.
      DO NOT USE OXYCLEAN it has bleaching action
      and bleach weakens canvas and nylon fabrics.
      Do a web reach for enzyme odor remover for camping equipment. That should
      get you a product that is safe to use on canvas..

      The hammock must be heavy with it made of canvas so I'd only use it car
      camping
      or in your back yard.

      Rogene

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 20, 2008
        Chevy
        If you have a Home Depot in your area they carry enzymatic cleaners, at least the ones in Texas do.
        Hand washing with vinegar, then wash with dish-soap should remove most of the mildew smell and not harm the fibers.
        Andrew

      • David Harvey
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 20, 2008
          Hi Chevy,

          I looked at your two photos and it looks to me like an ex-Army jungle
          hammock. I found one abandoned in a demolished building site when I
          was a teenager, and I used it for years!

          You will know for sure if it is the real military hammock, because the
          zipper had a quick-release mechanism. If your camp came under fire you
          could pull the attached cord, and the hammock would open and let you
          roll straight out onto the ground.

          Three feet onto soft earth won't hurt you, as long as you remember not
          to stick out your arms!

          I hope you can get rid of the mildew. I am trying to clean up a tent I
          picked up at a garage sale. It too was packed away wet. It's a pity,
          because it was once a very good quality piece of camping gear.

          Cheers,

          David.
        • Chevy
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 26, 2008
            Hi David,

            That's exactly what I thought it was when I searched. I'll have to
            check for that quick release zipper thing.

            Thank you to everyone else for your replies!

            I won't use oxyclean and I'll definitely try Home Depot or Lowe's for
            some enzymatic cleaner.

            Hopefully we can get rid of the smell enough to try it out this
            summer.

            Chevy