Newbie with a Question

  • Chevy
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19, 2008
      My name is Karen but everyone on the web calls me Chevy, I am 48
      years old and I live in Southeast Michigan. I am married to a
      wonderful man named Rich. We have two kids, a daughter named Dawn who
      is 26, and a son named Jordan who is 15. Dawn has also given me a
      beautiful grandbaby named Rowan who is 6 years old, and a grandson
      named Draven Blake who is 2, and another grandbaby named Nova born in
      Sept. 07. I have been camping(rustic) my entire adult life. Started
      my kids out when they were just babies. My son's first camping trip
      was when he was just 5 weeks old.

      Hubby is a curbside shopper(read: garbage picker) and stopped because
      he saw a huge pile of stuff. He picked up this hammock tent last year
      and we never got around to trying to clean it. We had no idea what it
      was when he opened it up but some friend's happened to be talking
      about hammock camping right before then or we never would have
      figured it out. It's in mint condition but smells awful! They must
      have closed it up when it was wet.

      http://tinyurl.com/6h53zf
      http://tinyurl.com/5wxvhb

      My question is, how can we clean it? It's made out of canvas. I have
      thought about putting it in a bucket with some oxyclean. I just don't
      want to ruin it.

      Thanks,
      Chevy
    • C C Wayah
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 19, 2008
        Chevy
        there is micro stuff that gets out stink in hiker stuff.

        I don't have the name of it handy right now.
        DO NOT USE OXYCLEAN it has bleaching action
        and bleach weakens canvas and nylon fabrics.
        Do a web reach for enzyme odor remover for camping equipment. That should
        get you a product that is safe to use on canvas..

        The hammock must be heavy with it made of canvas so I'd only use it car
        camping
        or in your back yard.

        Rogene

        > My name is Karen but everyone on the web calls me Chevy, I am 48
        > years old and I live in Southeast Michigan. I am married to a
        > wonderful man named Rich. We have two kids, a daughter named Dawn who
        > is 26, and a son named Jordan who is 15. Dawn has also given me a
        > beautiful grandbaby named Rowan who is 6 years old, and a grandson
        > named Draven Blake who is 2, and another grandbaby named Nova born in
        > Sept. 07. I have been camping(rustic) my entire adult life. Started
        > my kids out when they were just babies. My son's first camping trip
        > was when he was just 5 weeks old.
        >
        > Hubby is a curbside shopper(read: garbage picker) and stopped because
        > he saw a huge pile of stuff. He picked up this hammock tent last year
        > and we never got around to trying to clean it. We had no idea what it
        > was when he opened it up but some friend's happened to be talking
        > about hammock camping right before then or we never would have
        > figured it out. It's in mint condition but smells awful! They must
        > have closed it up when it was wet.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/6h53zf
        > http://tinyurl.com/5wxvhb
        >
        > My question is, how can we clean it? It's made out of canvas. I have
        > thought about putting it in a bucket with some oxyclean. I just don't
        > want to ruin it.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Chevy

      • andrew raney
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 20, 2008
          Chevy
          If you have a Home Depot in your area they carry enzymatic cleaners, at least the ones in Texas do.
          Hand washing with vinegar, then wash with dish-soap should remove most of the mildew smell and not harm the fibers.
          Andrew

        • David Harvey
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 20, 2008
            Hi Chevy,

            I looked at your two photos and it looks to me like an ex-Army jungle
            hammock. I found one abandoned in a demolished building site when I
            was a teenager, and I used it for years!

            You will know for sure if it is the real military hammock, because the
            zipper had a quick-release mechanism. If your camp came under fire you
            could pull the attached cord, and the hammock would open and let you
            roll straight out onto the ground.

            Three feet onto soft earth won't hurt you, as long as you remember not
            to stick out your arms!

            I hope you can get rid of the mildew. I am trying to clean up a tent I
            picked up at a garage sale. It too was packed away wet. It's a pity,
            because it was once a very good quality piece of camping gear.

            Cheers,

            David.
          • Chevy
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 26, 2008
              Hi David,

              That's exactly what I thought it was when I searched. I'll have to
              check for that quick release zipper thing.

              Thank you to everyone else for your replies!

              I won't use oxyclean and I'll definitely try Home Depot or Lowe's for
              some enzymatic cleaner.

              Hopefully we can get rid of the smell enough to try it out this
              summer.

              Chevy