Re: Pros and Cons - knees

  • Debbie Vorndran
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2008
      I sleep in my Brazilian style hammock at home pretty much every night.
      I'm allergic to the dust mites that love to multiply in mattresses,
      especially in the humidity here in Florida. The Chiropracter says its
      better for your back too. I sleep better in my hammock, so now I
      rarely sleep in the bed. And I stay cooler, without cranking the AC,
      because the hammock breathes. And unlike a mattress, I just throw the
      whole thing in the washer regularly. In the morning, I hang it up in
      the closet, with my down comforter still tucked inside.

      On really cold nights, I have a wool mattress pad that I put under me,
      and I wrap up in my down comforter. And I wear a hat. That keeps me so
      toasty that I like to stick my feet out to cool off a little. (OK, so I
      consider 45 degrees really cold for Florida. But consider that a lot of
      the older houses here don't have heaters, so 45 outside means 45 inside.)

      I have no trouble curling up on my side. The hammock holds my curves
      more comfortably on my side than a regular bed does. Especially my
      waist. Its easy on my knees and my back.

      If you sleep diagonally in the hammock, you'll be lying very level - not
      with your feet and head up high. When I bend my knees like that, on my
      back, the hammock actually helps support my knees - hugging them - as if
      I had a pillow stuffed under them on a regular mattress. I guess that
      the sleeping pads maybe aren't big enough to allow you to sleep
      diagonally. Maybe you could put the sleeping pad diagonally?

      I only raise my head up when my allergies are acting up. Mostly I sleep
      diagonally. And always with a small neck roll.

      My son likes to let one of his legs dangle over the side

      The only sleeping position that I find uncomfortable after awhile is on
      my stomach.

      :-D
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
        Hi Debbie,

        Sleeping in a hammock at home all the time, how do you handle traveling:
        hotels & family spare rooms?

        What are the dimensions of your Brazillian hammock--basic length and
        width? I'm sure your hammock is wider, if not longer, than most of the
        camping hammocks used on this forum. This will make a difference in
        ability to use the diagonal.

        I sleep in a US$20.00 nylon traveler hammock at home: 9 feet long and 5
        feet wide (after hemming). Someone longer than me, would have trouble
        getting a comfortable diagonal. Since I'm 5'3" tall, it fits me ok--but
        I'm thinking a longer and wider hammock will fit better. As it is, I
        get a decent diagonal to sleep on my back and on my side (back to head
        high-side and back away from head high-side). I also sleep with my head
        and back on the center, but with legs straight and one foot hanging off
        each side of the foot end. The more nights I spend in one, the more
        comfortable it gets.

        We hammockers need to start collecting photos of all the different ways
        to snooze in a hammock.

        For me, any time it gets below 80 (and maybe any time it bets below 90),
        I want the warmth of an underquilt. So, I hang a down underquilt (mines
        a JRB nest) underneath the hammock for warmth.

        CL
      • boardmanmw
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
          How did you hang the hammock? Do you have a stand, or did you bolt
          into the walls? I'd be interested in a picture of your rig. Mike

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Vorndran
          <debswebworks@...> wrote:

          > I sleep in my Brazilian style hammock at home pretty much every
          night.
        • Bill Keiser
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 14, 2008
            > How did you hang the hammock? Do you have a stand, or did you bolt
            > into the walls? I'd be interested in a picture of your rig. Mike

            they are hung nearly vertical from points 2 or 3 ft apart so that
            you are suspended sort of diagonally in a nearly horizontal line at
            the bottom. whole families live in them. they are made of fine cotton
            string.
            i can't find any pictures of them and don't have mine set up right now.
            bill keiser