Re: [Hammock Camping] Claytor hammocks -- no no-see-um mesh

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 9, 2008
      Funny all these complaints about Claytor using mosquito netting instead
      of no-see-um. I've a Hennessey and it uses no-see-um and I keep wishing
      it was mosquito netting instead. Why? Mosquito netting should be
      lighter. It will also be cooler--allowing more breeze to pass through.
      Finally, where I hike and camp, we have some biting midges with
      impressively long proboscises providing impressively lingering welts,
      but they never seem to crawl through mosquito mesh even though I know
      they are small enough to do so. So, a lot of all this depends on where
      you are and who your enemies are.

      Socrates said, "Know thyself"
      Hikers say, "Know thy trail conditions and HYOH"

      CL
    • Tom Frazier
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 9, 2008
        That about sums up my position. I have no problems with no-see-ums unless it's in the middle of summer in some of our mountain scrub meadows...not sure why that is, but a little citrus bug spray and I have no more issues. Nights in the high country is cold enough that I really don't need bugnetting....but if I were ever stuck in the ground, that would be something else. I guarantee those pesky little bugs will weasel their way through my mosquito netting...but maybe I'll done with my claytor-clone with no-see-um netting. ;o)

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2008
          Treating the netting with spray permethrin may discourage those pests
          from trying to crawl through the netting.

          Rick

          Tom Frazier wrote:
          > That about sums up my position. I have no problems with no-see-ums unless it's in the middle of summer in some of our mountain scrub meadows...not sure why that is, but a little citrus bug spray and I have no more issues. Nights in the high country is cold enough that I really don't need bugnetting....but if I were ever stuck in the ground, that would be something else. I guarantee those pesky little bugs will weasel their way through my mosquito netting...but maybe I'll done with my claytor-clone with no-see-um netting. ;o)

        • david ball
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 9, 2008
            Good idea Rick.

            Rick <ra1@...> wrote: Treating the netting with spray permethrin may discourage those pests

            Tom Frazier wrote:
            > That about sums up my position. I have no problems with no-see-ums unless it's in the middle of summer in some of our mountain scrub meadows...not sure why that is, but a little citrus bug spray and I have no more issues. Nights in the high country is cold enough that I really don't need bugnetting....but if I were ever stuck in the ground, that would be something else. I guarantee those pesky little bugs will weasel their way through my mosquito netting...but maybe I'll done with my claytor-clone with no-see-um netting. ;o)

            Working for our customers providing personal growth, team building and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

            "In the woods we return to reason and faith...there nothing will befall me, no disgrace, no calamity which nature cannot repair..."

            Ralph Waldo Emerson

            http://www.riverjourneys.org

            David and Cara Lawson Ball
            RiverJourneys Inc.