Re: [Hammock Camping] Claytor hammocks and no see ums

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8 7:21 PM
      Indeed, I looked at the Claytor website again and it said this:

      "These hammocks are designed for keeping mosquitoes, no-see-ums, black flies, snakes and scorpions away from you, so that you can rest comfortably."

      In my efforts to get materials together to make my family (7 hammocks total) I've noticed that there are two basic kinds of netting available for camping purposes. The mosquito netting and the finer no-see-um netting. The Claytor looks like it has mosquito netting to me.

      Here's a close up of the netting from Claytor's website: http://www.mosquitohammock.com/images/picJungleHammockYKKzip.JPG

      When I read the website it also said the mosquito netting would be black, but mine came with green netting. Not sure if it was earlier stock, or what, but my netting isn't no-see-um mesh, it's just plain old 'mosquito netting'.

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 18 11:42 AM
        haven't finished reading messages after this one, but your close-up
        photo wasn't too clear.

        A sporting goods store rep explained to me that mosquito netting is
        small squares. No see 'um mesh has zigzag threads within the squares.

        sandy in miami

        > Indeed, I looked at the Claytor website again and it said this:
        >
        > "These hammocks are designed for keeping mosquitoes, no-see-ums,
        black flies, snakes and scorpions away from you, so that you can rest
        comfortably."

        > In my efforts to get materials together to make my family (7
        hammocks total) I've noticed that there are two basic kinds of
        netting available for camping purposes. The mosquito netting and the
        finer no-see-um netting. The Claytor looks like it has mosquito
        netting to me.

        > Here's a close up of the netting from Claytor's website:
        http://www.mosquitohammock.com/images/picJungleHammockYKKzip.JPG

        > When I read the website it also said the mosquito netting would be
        black, but mine came with green netting. Not sure if it was earlier
        stock, or what, but my netting isn't no-see-um mesh, it's just plain
        old 'mosquito netting'.

        4/7/2008 8:56 AM

      • Tom Frazier
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 18 3:08 PM
          That sounds about right. From what I've seen the no-see-um is usually a square with another thread cutting that square in half. Strange you had trouble with the .jpg pic, but looking at it again it definately shows 'square' with no middle thread piece to slice that in half....plain ole mosquito netting on the Claytor hammock.

          4/7/2008 8:56 AM

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 19 6:18 AM
            Mosquito netting versus noseeum netting.

            Mosquito netting has larger openings, is generally lighter, stops less
            of the wind, and snags much easier. Often times people call noseeum
            netting by the wrong name and likewise with mosquito netting so when
            someone says it has mosquito netting or it has noseeum netting or it
            has bug netting, you don't really know exactly what it has.

            Dave