Claytor hammocks and no see ums

  • David Ball
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8 5:35 PM
      When I went to the website, it stated the netting would keep out no-see-ums. Hmmmm! Wonder if that is true. The little boogers will chew you up day and night when they are prevalent.

      David

      David and Cara Lawson-Ball
      RiverJourneys Inc.
      70529 Martin Road
      Edwardsburg, MI 49112

      574-535-3623
      http://www.riverjourneys.org
      riverjourneys@...

      Dedicated to providing our customers personal growth,
      team building, and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

      "In the woods nothing will befall me . . . no disgrace, no calamity
      which nature cannot repair."

      Ralph Waldo Emerson

    • Tom Frazier
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8 7:21 PM
        Indeed, I looked at the Claytor website again and it said this:

        "These hammocks are designed for keeping mosquitoes, no-see-ums, black flies, snakes and scorpions away from you, so that you can rest comfortably."

        In my efforts to get materials together to make my family (7 hammocks total) I've noticed that there are two basic kinds of netting available for camping purposes. The mosquito netting and the finer no-see-um netting. The Claytor looks like it has mosquito netting to me.

        Here's a close up of the netting from Claytor's website: http://www.mosquitohammock.com/images/picJungleHammockYKKzip.JPG

        When I read the website it also said the mosquito netting would be black, but mine came with green netting. Not sure if it was earlier stock, or what, but my netting isn't no-see-um mesh, it's just plain old 'mosquito netting'.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 18 11:42 AM
          haven't finished reading messages after this one, but your close-up
          photo wasn't too clear.

          A sporting goods store rep explained to me that mosquito netting is
          small squares. No see 'um mesh has zigzag threads within the squares.

          sandy in miami

          > Indeed, I looked at the Claytor website again and it said this:
          >
          > "These hammocks are designed for keeping mosquitoes, no-see-ums,
          black flies, snakes and scorpions away from you, so that you can rest
          comfortably."

          > In my efforts to get materials together to make my family (7
          hammocks total) I've noticed that there are two basic kinds of
          netting available for camping purposes. The mosquito netting and the
          finer no-see-um netting. The Claytor looks like it has mosquito
          netting to me.

          > Here's a close up of the netting from Claytor's website:
          http://www.mosquitohammock.com/images/picJungleHammockYKKzip.JPG

          > When I read the website it also said the mosquito netting would be
          black, but mine came with green netting. Not sure if it was earlier
          stock, or what, but my netting isn't no-see-um mesh, it's just plain
          old 'mosquito netting'.

          4/7/2008 8:56 AM

        • Tom Frazier
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 18 3:08 PM
            That sounds about right. From what I've seen the no-see-um is usually a square with another thread cutting that square in half. Strange you had trouble with the .jpg pic, but looking at it again it definately shows 'square' with no middle thread piece to slice that in half....plain ole mosquito netting on the Claytor hammock.

            4/7/2008 8:56 AM

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 19 6:18 AM
              Mosquito netting versus noseeum netting.

              Mosquito netting has larger openings, is generally lighter, stops less
              of the wind, and snags much easier. Often times people call noseeum
              netting by the wrong name and likewise with mosquito netting so when
              someone says it has mosquito netting or it has noseeum netting or it
              has bug netting, you don't really know exactly what it has.

              Dave