Re: [Hammock Camping] Claytor hammocks

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8 3:25 PM
      That was my issue too...in the summer in these mountains we have no-see-ums *everywhere*! So far, not having the finer mesh hasn't been an issue...and during the summers since I'll be in the tree line it won't be too much of an issue for me (they seem to like being in the meadows around here) and the fact that I'll be suspended in the air.

      I'm going to remedy this over-sight by making my own almost-a-claytor-clone and adding no-see-um netting to this clone. I've already make a little 7 foot hammock for my three year old, so I'm fully confident that I (and anyone else who has a sewing machine--even if they've never used it before) can make a good claytor-clone...especially since I have the original claytor JH and I can see for myself what weaknesses there is in the design...though there are few weaknesses, this bug-netting thing is def. at the top of my list of things to update/change when I make my own since we do have them nasty critters running around in force.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 9 1:00 AM
        Funny all these complaints about Claytor using mosquito netting instead
        of no-see-um. I've a Hennessey and it uses no-see-um and I keep wishing
        it was mosquito netting instead. Why? Mosquito netting should be
        lighter. It will also be cooler--allowing more breeze to pass through.
        Finally, where I hike and camp, we have some biting midges with
        impressively long proboscises providing impressively lingering welts,
        but they never seem to crawl through mosquito mesh even though I know
        they are small enough to do so. So, a lot of all this depends on where
        you are and who your enemies are.

        Socrates said, "Know thyself"
        Hikers say, "Know thy trail conditions and HYOH"

        CL
      • Tom Frazier
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9 2:55 AM
          That about sums up my position. I have no problems with no-see-ums unless it's in the middle of summer in some of our mountain scrub meadows...not sure why that is, but a little citrus bug spray and I have no more issues. Nights in the high country is cold enough that I really don't need bugnetting....but if I were ever stuck in the ground, that would be something else. I guarantee those pesky little bugs will weasel their way through my mosquito netting...but maybe I'll done with my claytor-clone with no-see-um netting. ;o)

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 9 5:41 AM
            Treating the netting with spray permethrin may discourage those pests
            from trying to crawl through the netting.

            Rick

            Tom Frazier wrote:
            > That about sums up my position. I have no problems with no-see-ums unless it's in the middle of summer in some of our mountain scrub meadows...not sure why that is, but a little citrus bug spray and I have no more issues. Nights in the high country is cold enough that I really don't need bugnetting....but if I were ever stuck in the ground, that would be something else. I guarantee those pesky little bugs will weasel their way through my mosquito netting...but maybe I'll done with my claytor-clone with no-see-um netting. ;o)

          • david ball
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 9 6:40 AM
              Good idea Rick.

              Rick <ra1@...> wrote: Treating the netting with spray permethrin may discourage those pests

              Tom Frazier wrote:
              > That about sums up my position. I have no problems with no-see-ums unless it's in the middle of summer in some of our mountain scrub meadows...not sure why that is, but a little citrus bug spray and I have no more issues. Nights in the high country is cold enough that I really don't need bugnetting....but if I were ever stuck in the ground, that would be something else. I guarantee those pesky little bugs will weasel their way through my mosquito netting...but maybe I'll done with my claytor-clone with no-see-um netting. ;o)

              Working for our customers providing personal growth, team building and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

              "In the woods we return to reason and faith...there nothing will befall me, no disgrace, no calamity which nature cannot repair..."

              Ralph Waldo Emerson

              http://www.riverjourneys.org

              David and Cara Lawson Ball
              RiverJourneys Inc.