Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammocks and ships at sea

  • Richard Perlman
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2008
      That appears to be an option for any hammock with bug netting.

      Rich

      Tom Frazier wrote:
      > Nice thing about the claytor hammock (and the clark too?) is that you can pitch them on the ground like a tent if there weren't any trees around.

    • Tom Frazier
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2008
        That's certainly something I noticed when I switched to hammock camping...I seem to be doing a lot more jerry-rigging now that I have to mess with tarps and hammocks, just to make them work where I need them...and now that you mentioned it, I do recall seeing a picture of the speer hammock set up on the ground.

        However, what I probably see most clearly in my head is the claytor's ability to spread the bug netting out so that you're boxed in like a little tent-of-sorts. The only other hammock that I've seen this design on (aside from DIY clones) is the DD hammock sold out of the UK. I have to wonder, too, if you can get more room with a hammock that can lay completely flat on the ground versus a hammock that has a couple of knots at either end, or zip ties, and which won't lay flat. Anyone ever have an issue with not getting enough interior room when pitching knotted-end hammocks on the ground? I've only tried it on the claytor so far, so I have no clue.