Re: [Hammock Camping] Claytor hammocks

  • David Ball
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8 5:40 AM
      I am real bummed about the netting for the JH being mosquito netting only. We have no-see-ums big time in Northern Lower Michigan. Not sure what to do. I still like the design. May have to call upon my better half to apply her skills and redo the netting.

      David

      David and Cara Lawson-Ball
      RiverJourneys Inc.
      70529 Martin Road
      Edwardsburg, MI 49112

      574-535-3623
      http://www.riverjourneys.org
      riverjourneys@...

      Dedicated to providing our customers personal growth,
      team building, and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

      "In the woods nothing will befall me . . . no disgrace, no calamity
      which nature cannot repair."

      Ralph Waldo Emerson
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8 3:19 PM
        I had purchased a a $30 Byer hammock...was comfy, but was too short for me. My head and feet kept falling off the edges of the hammock and onto the netting. Main reason for this trouble is that the hammock wasn't long enough.

        Then I got my claytor in the mail. It's so much longer (nearly 10 feet, compared to the nearly, but not quite, 7 foot Byer) so you can actually stretch out more and lay flatter without your head or your feet hanging off the edge. Length really is key here.

        It has a lot of great features in a hammock that should be selling for a lot more (if we compare it to other commercial hammocks on the market). Nearly everything is double reinforced. There were a few loose threads that I had to take a lighter too, but nothing that compromised its stitching strength that I could notice.

        The tarp that comes with it may leave you desiring more, though. I purchased a speer winter tarp (www.speerhammocks.com) to use with my claytor for better coverage to protect from wind, rain, and 'peepers' better.

        Since there's a pocket to put a pad in (making this hammock a double layered hammock) I used that to help me stay warm this past weekend in the mountains. It only got around 34 deg. F., but with a pad and down bag combo I was able to keep toasty. Though, I am envious of folks who own an underquilt. I think if I had one of these, I wouldn't have suffered cold sides every once in awhile (every hammock will suffer this problem...so no biggie, I used hand/foot warmers for extra heat boost).

        If you don't want to actually make your own hammock [yet], like myself, I think that this hammock is a good compromise. It's very affordable (even though he's been raising the price about $10 every year) and has all the basic features anyone could want in a camping hammock, including it being in camo.

        Tom

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8 3:25 PM
          That was my issue too...in the summer in these mountains we have no-see-ums *everywhere*! So far, not having the finer mesh hasn't been an issue...and during the summers since I'll be in the tree line it won't be too much of an issue for me (they seem to like being in the meadows around here) and the fact that I'll be suspended in the air.

          I'm going to remedy this over-sight by making my own almost-a-claytor-clone and adding no-see-um netting to this clone. I've already make a little 7 foot hammock for my three year old, so I'm fully confident that I (and anyone else who has a sewing machine--even if they've never used it before) can make a good claytor-clone...especially since I have the original claytor JH and I can see for myself what weaknesses there is in the design...though there are few weaknesses, this bug-netting thing is def. at the top of my list of things to update/change when I make my own since we do have them nasty critters running around in force.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 9 1:00 AM
            Funny all these complaints about Claytor using mosquito netting instead
            of no-see-um. I've a Hennessey and it uses no-see-um and I keep wishing
            it was mosquito netting instead. Why? Mosquito netting should be
            lighter. It will also be cooler--allowing more breeze to pass through.
            Finally, where I hike and camp, we have some biting midges with
            impressively long proboscises providing impressively lingering welts,
            but they never seem to crawl through mosquito mesh even though I know
            they are small enough to do so. So, a lot of all this depends on where
            you are and who your enemies are.

            Socrates said, "Know thyself"
            Hikers say, "Know thy trail conditions and HYOH"

            CL
          • Tom Frazier
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 9 2:55 AM
              That about sums up my position. I have no problems with no-see-ums unless it's in the middle of summer in some of our mountain scrub meadows...not sure why that is, but a little citrus bug spray and I have no more issues. Nights in the high country is cold enough that I really don't need bugnetting....but if I were ever stuck in the ground, that would be something else. I guarantee those pesky little bugs will weasel their way through my mosquito netting...but maybe I'll done with my claytor-clone with no-see-um netting. ;o)

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 9 5:41 AM
                Treating the netting with spray permethrin may discourage those pests
                from trying to crawl through the netting.

                Rick

                Tom Frazier wrote:
                > That about sums up my position. I have no problems with no-see-ums unless it's in the middle of summer in some of our mountain scrub meadows...not sure why that is, but a little citrus bug spray and I have no more issues. Nights in the high country is cold enough that I really don't need bugnetting....but if I were ever stuck in the ground, that would be something else. I guarantee those pesky little bugs will weasel their way through my mosquito netting...but maybe I'll done with my claytor-clone with no-see-um netting. ;o)

              • david ball
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 9 6:40 AM
                  Good idea Rick.

                  Rick <ra1@...> wrote: Treating the netting with spray permethrin may discourage those pests

                  Tom Frazier wrote:
                  > That about sums up my position. I have no problems with no-see-ums unless it's in the middle of summer in some of our mountain scrub meadows...not sure why that is, but a little citrus bug spray and I have no more issues. Nights in the high country is cold enough that I really don't need bugnetting....but if I were ever stuck in the ground, that would be something else. I guarantee those pesky little bugs will weasel their way through my mosquito netting...but maybe I'll done with my claytor-clone with no-see-um netting. ;o)

                  Working for our customers providing personal growth, team building and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

                  "In the woods we return to reason and faith...there nothing will befall me, no disgrace, no calamity which nature cannot repair..."

                  Ralph Waldo Emerson

                  http://www.riverjourneys.org

                  David and Cara Lawson Ball
                  RiverJourneys Inc.