Re: [Hammock Camping] Re:Pros and Cons

  • gerzson
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 8 1:11 AM
      On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:26 PM, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:
      > For the most part you don't sway unless you want to. A lot of hangers enjoy swaying but to get the hammock to do it continuously it

      Last year I went out a lot with beginners and I remember they had this problem.
      One minute after entering the hammock I was perfectly still but some
      of them seemed to sway harder and harder (involuntarily).
      One of them even slept on the dirt for this reason.

      To keep to the subject I'll add my list of cons (already mentioned here):
      1. the need for trees (or other hanging spots). Even one can get
      inventive when traveling alone, this can be a problem for a group of
      hammockers outside of a forest.
      2. The thermal isolation is less efficient than on the ground.
      Especially if there is some air movement. Having said this, I have
      slept in the hammock in -20C temperatures during a light snowstorm
      without any discomfort.

      Apart from this two, I didn't found any other cons, but as some said -
      the hammock camping isn't for anyone.
      Also I found that in order to be comfortable in the hammock, one must
      learn to use it (more than with ground sleeping).

      gerzson
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 8 2:51 AM
        The Hennessey Hammocks come with side bungies (elastic line) that act to
        dampen swings. They also spread out the hammock so it doesn't close up
        around you so much. With the hammock your DH uses, it should be easy to
        temporarily attach bungies to see if they help you (they would run from
        widest part of hammock to the ground). If they do, then you and your
        husband will have a great system.

        CL

        Mary McMonagle wrote:
        > I'm on this list for info for DH and ds. I'm one that won't hammock. I
        > can't stand the movement, and I don't normally get motion sick. Even
        > sleeping under ds, who loves to sway, makes me sick listening to him
        > swaying. I do like the protection of his tarp though.
      • Tom Frazier
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 8 3:02 PM
          I personally was curious about the double nest as I'm trying to get the family into hammocks this summer. ;o) My wife and infant can take a hammock (we have yet to give this a try, so it's just hypothetical right now), I take another hammock and my three year old gets his own hammock. lol..hopefully I can work something out.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 8 3:06 PM
            Something I had considered while we waited for a hammock for my kids is setting up a ground pad and sleeping bag under and to the side of my claytor hammock under the speer winter tarp I've got. I could easily get myself (in a hammock) plus three or four more adults sleeping on the ground.