Re: [Hammock Camping] Re:Pros and Cons

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
      I'll second that! It got plenty windy on my last hammocking trip, and I really didn't sway at all. Sometimes I 'thought' I was swaying, and even if I was, it was only a little bit. I'm not that light myself (200 lbs.), so I'm not sure if that had to do with anything. I'll see the proof of the pudding I guess when I stick my three year old overnight in a hammock.

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
        On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:26 PM, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:
        > For the most part you don't sway unless you want to. A lot of hangers enjoy swaying but to get the hammock to do it continuously it

        Last year I went out a lot with beginners and I remember they had this problem.
        One minute after entering the hammock I was perfectly still but some
        of them seemed to sway harder and harder (involuntarily).
        One of them even slept on the dirt for this reason.

        To keep to the subject I'll add my list of cons (already mentioned here):
        1. the need for trees (or other hanging spots). Even one can get
        inventive when traveling alone, this can be a problem for a group of
        hammockers outside of a forest.
        2. The thermal isolation is less efficient than on the ground.
        Especially if there is some air movement. Having said this, I have
        slept in the hammock in -20C temperatures during a light snowstorm
        without any discomfort.

        Apart from this two, I didn't found any other cons, but as some said -
        the hammock camping isn't for anyone.
        Also I found that in order to be comfortable in the hammock, one must
        learn to use it (more than with ground sleeping).

        gerzson
      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
          The Hennessey Hammocks come with side bungies (elastic line) that act to
          dampen swings. They also spread out the hammock so it doesn't close up
          around you so much. With the hammock your DH uses, it should be easy to
          temporarily attach bungies to see if they help you (they would run from
          widest part of hammock to the ground). If they do, then you and your
          husband will have a great system.

          CL

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
            I personally was curious about the double nest as I'm trying to get the family into hammocks this summer. ;o) My wife and infant can take a hammock (we have yet to give this a try, so it's just hypothetical right now), I take another hammock and my three year old gets his own hammock. lol..hopefully I can work something out.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
              Something I had considered while we waited for a hammock for my kids is setting up a ground pad and sleeping bag under and to the side of my claytor hammock under the speer winter tarp I've got. I could easily get myself (in a hammock) plus three or four more adults sleeping on the ground.